Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about political posts  (Read 3181 times)

• I'm the person the Daily Mail warned you about
  • Liked: 2
Question about political posts
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
Hi,

I haven't really been on this forum in ages as I've been much more integrated in my British life than I used to be!

That said, I'm still an American and I stay involved in what's happening back home. Which brings me to my question. I'm a member of a political organization for Americans overseas, and one of the things we'd like to do is to expand our membership in the UK. There are millions of us living outside the US and we can really make a difference back home if we want to be engaged. I'm particularly interested in trying to get groups started outside of London, especially the North East.

Obviously not everyone on this board will be supportive of our group or objectives but I'd imagine some would be. Would it be appropriate to post here asking if anyone is interested in joining?
"I don't bother nobody, I'm a real nice guy.  Kinda laid back like a dead fly." --Rappin' Duke

• Liked: 533
Re: Question about political posts
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Absolutely!

I took one of those online political barometer things recently and I am a bit left of Stalin (but less authoritarian) however....you may not want me.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »
HA!  You most definitely would not want me in your group!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Well, if you don't agree with our politics that's fine! It's not meant to sow division and my intention is not to start any political debates.

I was just surprised that given my own political leanings I hadn't heard of them until last year, and yet they have existed for many years around the world and do a lot of good work, especially in helping people vote. Since last year we've had a women's group in particular that has exploded in member numbers and is starting to put out a lot of good stuff.

I've been to many different events, especially in the last year, and in every city and at every event I've met an American in the UK who has never heard of the group and is interested in getting involved. Since I originally met my "real life" fellow American immigrant friends here I know that it is a convenient source of additional Americans abroad who might be interested.  ;)
"I don't bother nobody, I'm a real nice guy.  Kinda laid back like a dead fly." --Rappin' Duke

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
I'm still waiting to see which group/what party this if for. ☺

Cause it could be the Dems and it could be the Reps.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
They sure know how to keep us in suspense!   

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
It's Scientology isn't it?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
I wanted to know if it was OK to say before I said, just in case people jumped all over me with abuse for bringing it up. It's happened a lot, sadly. Also I wasn't sure if I should post it in a different place.

Anyway it's definitely not scientology! Democrats Abroad, though I suppose for some that might be just as bad...

http://www.democratsabroad.org/uk
http://www.womenscaucus.co.uk/

If anyone is actually interested, especially in forming a chapter in the north east, it would be great to hear from you.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
Hey

There is actually a politics board. *grins* I'd assumed this one was on it. Haha.

I don't read anything by board or thread most of the time, just new posts! Haha. I didn't even notice where you'd posted this. 🤣
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
We're mostly Dems and that direction leaning on here. At least the vocal ones. Haha.

Just watch someone tell me I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. 😕

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
Not everyone! Sometimes that surprises me, but I've been the subject of rather unpleasant abuse on other forums for Americans overseas for promoting Democrats.

But if anyone is interested and isn't already involved I guess you can PM me or reply here, or just go to the website and check it out! Especially in the Women's Caucus we are working on improving our social media & website.

Sponsored Links