Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax Confusion: Living in the UK But Still a FTE for US Company and Freelancing  (Read 441 times)

• Liked: 4
Hi everyone,

I've read through the forum, but still can't find a situation that is the same as mine, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I moved to the UK in February to be with my husband. I'm still currently employed as a full time employee at the company where I was working before the move, which is a US-based company that pays me directly into a US checking account. In addition to my full time work, I also do freelance writing and translating on the side as a contractor for three separate clients. One of these clients is based in the US and pays my fees in USD into my US checking account. One of these clients is based in Germany, also paying me in USD into my US bank account. The final company is based in the Netherlands, and pays me in Euro into my US bank account.

Since I arrived in the UK, I've received a National Insurance number, and on the advice of an accountant, also received a Unique Tax Reference number, but still need to register as self-employed in the UK (the website was extremely confusing when I first tried).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of tax situation, or any recommendations for accountants that could help?

• Liked: 4985
In short, you are doing it wrong.   ;)

You pay tax in the country you are resident of, so you shouldn't be paying any US taxes, they are secondary.  You should be paying UK income tax and national insurance, not US tax and social security.

• Liked: 102
You are employed. Have you received a contract? Are you auto-enrolled in a UK pension plan? Are your employer's using Direct Payment to pay UK PAYE tax for you?

You are also self-employed. You will want to register yourself with HMRC and file your UK tax return for 2016-17. You will want to ask your employer for a P60 so that you can complete your UK tax return.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab