Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Latest Shows You've Started?  (Read 45927 times)

• Liked: 1891
Re: Latest Shows You've Started?
« Reply #630 on: May 26, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
Been watching Big In France and it’s petty great. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me more!  Is it a good show somehow related to France?  That's the kind of thing we need in our house.

We've been watching "A Very Secret Service" which is actually in French with subtitles on Netflix.  A comedy about a guy working in the state department for France around the time of Algerian independence.  Really funny office scenes from the sixties. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #631 on: May 26, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
Tell me more!  Is it a good show somehow related to France?  That's the kind of thing we need in our house.

We've been watching "A Very Secret Service" which is actually in French with subtitles on Netflix.  A comedy about a guy working in the state department for France around the time of Algerian independence.  Really funny office scenes from the sixties.

We really like it. It’s about a guy who is a big comedy star in France but he comes to the US to try to reconnect with his teenage son (who has hi mom’s boyfriend as a father figure and shares nothing in common with his dad) but literally nobody in the US knows anything about him so he’s constantly having to explain how he “was the Sienfeld of France but now he’s the Ray Romano if France...for legal reasons” and showing them YouTube compilations of himself.

The guy is an actual actor/stand up in France. It’s definitely drier and sometimes darker comedy but we have been loving it.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #632 on: May 26, 2019, 03:51:52 PM »
We really like it. It’s about a guy who is a big comedy star in France but he comes to the US to try to reconnect with his teenage son (who has hi mom’s boyfriend as a father figure and shares nothing in common with his dad) but literally nobody in the US knows anything about him so he’s constantly having to explain how he “was the Sienfeld of France but now he’s the Ray Romano if France...for legal reasons” and showing them YouTube compilations of himself.

The guy is an actual actor/stand up in France. It’s definitely drier and sometimes darker comedy but we have been loving it.

Just Googled it and found out it is "Huge in France". That's on the list now.

We've been watching "Home" on channel 4 which is a comedy about a Syrian refugee who sneaks into the car of a family coming through the tunnel.  It's pretty unrealistic in parts (high fives from the security guard at Lunar House?  I don't think so) but overall it's pretty funny.  And thought provoking. 

« Reply #633 on: May 26, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
Just Googled it and found out it is "Huge in France". That's on the list now.

We've been watching "Home" on channel 4 which is a comedy about a Syrian refugee who sneaks into the car of a family coming through the tunnel.  It's pretty unrealistic in parts (high fives from the security guard at Lunar House?  I don't think so) but overall it's pretty funny.  And thought provoking.

Potato potato I knew it was something like that. Definitely watch it! So good!

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #634 on: May 26, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
Potato potato I knew it was something like that. Definitely watch it! So good!

After we started watching it, we discovered that it was filmed in my kid's school!   And it's filmed all over Twickenham. 

« Reply #635 on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
Oh sh*t really ?!  We saw the school where sex education was filmed

My, how time flies....

« Reply #636 on: May 27, 2019, 08:45:43 AM »
Oh sh*t really ?!  We saw the school where sex education was filmed

Haven't seen that, but thought it was Swedish or something.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #637 on: May 27, 2019, 08:53:08 AM »
Haven't seen that, but thought it was Swedish or something.

No, it’s British/American :). It’s filmed in South Wales/Forest of Dean (about 15 miles from where I grew up) and Gillian Anderson is in it :).

It’s a great show, but a little odd because they basically just transplanted a US high school to the UK and filled it with British kids... so it’s a weird amalgamation of British and American life. Plus it doesn’t seem to know whether it’s set in the 80s, 90s or present day - they all have smart phones but they dress like they’re in the 80s and drive old 80s cars.

You may be thinking of SKAM? Which is a Norwegian show about teenagers (though it has been remade in a number of different countries too).

« Reply #638 on: May 27, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
No, it’s British/American :). It’s filmed in South Wales/Forest of Dean (about 15 miles from where I grew up) and Gillian Anderson is in it :).

It’s a great show, but a little odd because they basically just transplanted a US high school to the UK and filled it with British kids... so it’s a weird amalgamation of British and American life. Plus it doesn’t seem to know whether it’s set in the 80s, 90s or present day - they all have smart phones but they dress like they’re in the 80s and drive old 80s cars.

You may be thinking of SKAM? Which is a Norwegian show about teenagers (though it has been remade in a number of different countries too).

That's funny, Once upon a time also had 80s everything, including old beat up pickup trucks.  But they also had smartphones.  I guess all the things smartphones bring are just too important to a story. 

I also like Gillian Anderson from the X files days.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #639 on: June 07, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »
Billions. Only because I signed up for a free trial to NowTV to catch Chernobyl and the long awaited Deadwood finale, and ever since Homeland I’ve found Damian Lewis to be reasonably watchable. Am also racing through Veep.

« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
Ohhhh I watched the Chernobyl trailer and it looks VERY interesting!

Valery Legasov aka Jared Harris, who I first saw in Mad Men, followed by The Crown, The Terror, and The Expanse, is always great.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #641 on: June 07, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »
Billions. Only because I signed up for a free trial to NowTV to catch Chernobyl and the long awaited Deadwood finale, and ever since Homeland I’ve found Damian Lewis to be reasonably watchable. Am also racing through Veep.

I'm going to be starting Chernobyl this evening :).

In the past couple of weeks, I've also binged season 2 of Killing Eve and all 5 seasons of Line of Duty, and I have Good Omens on my list as well :).

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #642 on: June 07, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
Valery Legasov aka Jared Harris, who I first saw in Mad Men, followed by The Crown, The Terror, and The Expanse, is always great.

Thank you!  I meant to Google him after we finished the show, but forgot.  I knew I knew him from somewhere, but I couldn't recall what I'd seen him in.  And now that I'm looking, I've seen him in lots of things!

I'm going to be starting Chernobyl this evening :).

In the past couple of weeks, I've also binged season 2 of Killing Eve and all 5 seasons of Line of Duty, and I have Good Omens on my list as well :).

We've been watching all the same things, I think.  We just finished Chernobyl night before last.  Before that, it was Killing Eve s2, and before that was Line of Duty.  We just started Lucifer s4 thanks to you tipping us off that it's on Netflix.  Oh, and Black Mirror is back with three episodes.  We watched the first one.  We're trying to spread those out, since they all stand alone.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #643 on: June 07, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Here he is as Lane Pryce, spending an evening with his mentor-in-debauchery Don Draper.

"We'll have to smoke the dress" is one of my favourite lines.

« Reply #644 on: June 07, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
NEW BLACK MIRROR!!! Ahhh!!! Watching episode 1 tonight I’m so excited!

My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links