Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Litterbox advice  (Read 2171 times)

• Liked: 60
Litterbox advice
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
Right, so I know I'm not talking about moving my cat but I could use some pet advice!

I and my two cats moved here almost four months ago. From almost the first day, they seemed like they'd settled in well. They've been behaving completely normally.

Fast forward to this past week. Someone (not sure which cat, or if it's both) peed right NEXT TO the litterbox. And of course the litterbox is on carpeting because this apartment is lame. We totally soaked the area in an enzymatic cleaner but it seems to be happening every few days still.

Somewhere in the week since that started, one of them has also been peeing in the bathtub. This doesn't bother me a whole lot (it cleans easily) but it's really upsetting my husband.

There haven't been any big changes here so I'm not sure what's triggered the behavior. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cope? I'm afraid my husband is going to run out of patience with them really soon.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Litterbox advice
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »
Have kitty checked for a UTI.  Peeing out of the box is a big sign.  My girl just gave us a fright last weekend peeing outside the box and then we noticed blood in her urine.  Was very fast to respond to medicine and back to normal.

If no UTI, I'd try a different litter, frequent changing of the box, and possibly a second box.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
You can get large absorbent "pee pads" that can go under the litterbox to protect your carpet in the meantime until you can figure out what's wrong. We use them in the cat carrier when we go to the vet because one of our kitties likes to "stage a dirty protest" as my husband calls it.

Hope you get it sorted soon!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
Agree with what's been said already. Check out for UTI first of all.

How many litter boxes do you have? Could it be a latent territorial thing now you're in smaller quarters?

I think you're supposed to have one per cat plus one extra. So if you only have the one, I'd add a couple more.  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:04:39 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:56:07 AM »
I agree with all of the above on checking for UTI - that's truly the most common reason next to finding the box too smelly/dirty. I also have to use fragrance free litter for my kitty (I'm allergic to it as well, but accidentally bought one that had a scent - didn't have a choice but to use it for a couple days and she wouldn't set foot in there except to poo - my carpets were thankful for that.)  I have a rubber pad around my box in the US because kitty also has bad aim.

Good luck!!

• Liked: 60
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

I do only have the one litterbox and the litter is as close to the one we used in the US as I could find. They've always shared the one box in the past, but I know they've had a stressful change here!

I think I know which one peed in the tub - caught one of them trying to open the bathroom door this morning. And it was the other one I thought was peeing on the floor... Sigh! They're lucky they're cute!  ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
I have loads of boxes! I literally have one in every room, a small one (and a bowl of water) just in case they get shut in which happens on roughly a weekly basis. They haven't learned to cry to get out and I sometimes don't notice one is missing until I'm doing a head count at bedtime!  :D

I also have the giant high sided Van Ness boxes in the high traffic areas, which seem to be the hall, landing and one of the bedrooms, they're the biggest and best ones I've found and although they're from the US you can get them fairly easily here.  :)

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
Sigh! They're lucky they're cute!  ;D

Completely understand! My big one is terribly clumsy and has done so much damage but I just couldn't get annoyed with her if I tried!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

Sponsored Links