Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To prove my husband is British (Spouse visa)  (Read 2310 times)

• Liked: 157
To prove my husband is British (Spouse visa)
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:31 AM »
Do I need to have a certified/notarized copy of his passport bio-data page? (Is a photo copy of it enough?)

If yes, how do I get it certified/notarized in the US?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:35:32 AM by narphtx »
Met in the US: 2014
Got Married in the US: Dec 2015
Moved to the UK: Oct 2017
ILR: Sept 2022
Citizenship application: biometrics 22 Dec 2022 - approval email 29 May 2023
Citizenship ceremony: 21 June 2023
Passport received:  7 July 2023

• Liked: 49
Re: To prove my husband is British (Spouse visa)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:28:21 AM »
I gave his official National insurance number paper. and just the passport number clear on alot of the papers and APPLICATION. I attached also a police check they did at work in the UK from there they can also use it to track his identity. Make sure it is accurate or they could refuse it if they cant find it. I shouldve sent a photo copy of his passport however :/

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:40:05 AM »
I gave his official National insurance number paper. and just the passport number clear on alot of the papers and APPLICATION. I attached also a police check they did at work in the UK from there they can also use it to track his identity. Make sure it is accurate or they could refuse it if they cant find it. I shouldve sent a photo copy of his passport however :/

So is a photo copy of the passport bio-data page ok? Do I need extra documents? ??? ??? ???

• Liked: 49
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:44:36 AM »
The more official documents you have of your hubby regarding idenitfication, police checks, background checks, Nat insurance numbers, is a great suppliment. Since my husband needed his passport I didnt include it in there now i feel terrible.

Birth certificates are usually not required from either the sponsor or the applicant.

However, when it comes to your passport (the sponsor's passport), there are 3 options and one of them involves including your birth certificate:

1) You send your actual passport (not advisable though if you will need it!)

2) You send a notarised copy of your photo page of the passport (this can be done in the US for cheaper than in the UK), but you don't need your birth certificate

3) You send a regular photocopy of your passport photo page PLUS your long-form (A4 size) birth certificate as proof that the information on the regular photocopy is correct and true (as it has not been notarised).

That bit of info is from an expert here:Ksand24

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »

However, when it comes to your passport (the sponsor's passport), there are 3 options and one of them involves including your birth certificate:

1) You send your actual passport (not advisable though if you will need it!)

2) You send a notarised copy of your photo page of the passport (this can be done in the US for cheaper than in the UK), but you don't need your birth certificate

3) You send a regular photocopy of your passport photo page PLUS your long-form (A4 size) birth certificate as proof that the information on the regular photocopy is correct and true (as it has not been notarised).

I guess I will research about how to get the copy notarized.  :o

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:54:57 AM »
I guess I will research about how to get the copy notarized.  :o
For the sponsor: Documents can be certified at the UK post offices. But it doesn't need to be certified . It doesn't specify notarized in the official guidance. You just need a photocopy of the bio page.

Certified is recommended by the people here but it's not a requirement and it won't cause your visa to be rejected.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:04:13 AM by nctami72 »

• Liked: 3595
To prove my husband is British (Spouse visa)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 06:20:53 AM »
You HAVE to send a copy of his passport photo page - that is the only document they will accept as proof of his identity and UK citizenship (unless he has no valid passport, in which case you send his birth certificate instead).

Ideally you should get it certified (about £8-10 at a Post Office), though some people have been okay just sending a regular photocopy.

sunshineusa - you did include at least a copy of his passport photo page, didn't you? Without it the visa can be refused, due to not having evidence of his UK citizenship.

You should NOT include any other documents about your husband - police checks, background checks, NI number etc. cannot be considered at all and will be ignored, as they are not considered suitable evidence of his nationality.

The only person who should send police records is YOU, the applicant, but only in the case that you have criminal convictions to declare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:24:02 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
The more official documents you have of your hubby regarding idenitfication, police checks, background checks, Nat insurance numbers, is a great suppliment.

Sorry, this is not correct. I've been advising on documents required for a spousal visa for over 10 years, and I've never heard this before.

As per the suggested supporting documents list given on the UKVI website, the ONLY documents they will look at are:

Evidence of your sponsor’s immigration status/ permission to be in the UK
This could be copies of:
- bio-data pages from their passport or Travel Document
- valid UK visa or UK stamp from their passports
- Home Office letter confirming their permission to stay in the UK

This is now out-of-date advice.

The part about including a birth certificate used to be explicitly stated on the UKVI website, however, it was taken down a while ago and for the last couple of years, people seem to have been fine sending a regular photocopy without a birth certificate.

As quoted above, the supporting documents list just says 'copies of' passport photo pages, and does not mention birth certificates or certification... though I still suggest getting it certified to be on the safe side (there's no harm in doing it).

• Liked: 48
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »
We just sent a color photocopy of passport bio page and were approved

• Liked: 253
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
We sent a colour copy of my husband's bio page. Because I'm super paranoid, he went his local post office and got the copy notarized.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
Ksand- my other half and I were wondering what it is that you do? Are you a visa/immigration advisor/lawyer?

Just curious because you have been invaluable!

Sorry, this is not correct. I've been advising on documents required for a spousal visa for over 10 years, and I've never heard this before.

As per the suggested supporting documents list given on the UKVI website, the ONLY documents they will look at are:

The part about including a birth certificate used to be explicitly stated on the UKVI website, however, it was taken down a while ago and for the last couple of years, people seem to have been fine sending a regular photocopy without a birth certificate.

As quoted above, the supporting documents list just says 'copies of' passport photo pages, and does not mention birth certificates or certification... though I still suggest getting it certified to be on the safe side (there's no harm in doing it).
Married 18th December 2016
Wife applied for UK Spouse Visa 21 May 2017
Email confirmation from UKVI confirming receipt 30 May 2017
Spouse Visa granted 2nd July 2017
Wife arrived in UK 20th July 2017
Applied for FLR (M) 24th March 2020
FLR (M) extension granted 20th July 2020

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »
Ksand- my other half and I were wondering what it is that you do? Are you a visa/immigration advisor/lawyer?

Just curious because you have been invaluable!

I'm actually none of those - I'm a meteorologist :P. I just participate in the forum in my spare time :).

I found the forum in early 2007 when I was researching UK work visas for a fictional story, and I figured since I had studied abroad in the US (I'm British) and was in the process of applying for PhD programs and another visa for the US, I could help out with UK vs. US student life questions. I ended up spending a lot of time on the visa boards (and the UKVI website) and since most people were applying for fiancé/spousal visas, I got to know those rules very well... I've basically been advising on them ever since :).

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:17 PM »

Thanks for clearing up the confusion!  :) :) :)

• Liked: 37
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »

I'm actually none of those - I'm a meteorologist :P. I just participate in the forum in my spare time :).

I found the forum in early 2007 when I was researching UK work visas for a fictional story, and I figured since I had studied abroad in the US (I'm British) and was in the process of applying for PhD programs and another visa for the US, I could help out with UK vs. US student life questions. I ended up spending a lot of time on the visa boards (and the UKVI website) and since most people were applying for fiancé/spousal visas, I got to know those rules very well... I've basically been advising on them ever since :).

Wow!! :o.....so impressive Ksand....
You have been invaluable to so many of us on this forum, just wanted you to know you are appreciated  :)
Met for the first time 2012
Married in the US May 2014
Biometrics for husband 12th June
Package mailed priority  to Sheffield 13th June
Email confirmation from Sheffield 16th June.
Decision received 11th July 😀 17 BD

• Liked: 15
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
Wow! Studying the great weather of Blighty?

So this counts as volunteering!

Married 18th December 2016
Wife applied for UK Spouse Visa 21 May 2017
Email confirmation from UKVI confirming receipt 30 May 2017
Spouse Visa granted 2nd July 2017
Wife arrived in UK 20th July 2017
Applied for FLR (M) 24th March 2020
FLR (M) extension granted 20th July 2020

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab