Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name the one place in London you'd go see.....  (Read 3486 times)

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: Name the one place in London you'd go see.....
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 06:32:16 PM »
Wanted to add that a visit to Harrods to window shop is also a mind blowing expirence :)  Get a snack down in the food court, and enjoy the incredibly decadent atmosphere  :o,,after you go to the British Museum. ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 06:35:59 PM »
I did suggest Dirty Dick's

You certainly did.

Other places I have been that seemed to interest vsitors I have taken there are:
Madame Tussaud's
Thoe Houses of Parliament
Big Ben
The Tower of London

Yes, they do seem to interest visitors.  Wonder what the intrigue is there. 

But better to visit St Albans.

Huh.  Last time I checked, St. Albans was not in London.  But again, I don't follow rezoning issues and such.
Must be the plague in my head.
 ::)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 06:41:03 PM »
One thing I keep meaning to do and never quite get around to is go to a lunchtime concert at St Martins in the Fields (near Trafalgar Sq).

I have been to Dirty Dick's - it's not that great a pub but has a story behind it, something about some guy whose wife died, I forget the rest. 

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 06:54:32 PM »
Right.

My recommendations...

Well, IF the sky is clear, I dunno, the London Eye is amazing, but somehow, standing in the middle of Waterloo Bridge, on a clear clear - well I was there at night - just took my breath away.  I couldn't believe what an amazing city I now live in.
LOADS to do for FREE - but you didn't state what you're particularly interested in; walking tours, on your own, theatre, museums, etc.

Always something new to find at the British Museum, as well as old friends to go visit :).  I love that I work right down the street, and I get to say I went there on my lunch hour... and right now they have a very cool Mummy exhibit, that has a narration by Ian McKellan (there's a charge for that, but to wander around the museum is free).

My personal favorite, The National Portrait Gallery.  Again, always something new to see... and always more to learn about the monarchy, history, people, etc.
And right around the corner, The National Gallery.
And as Britwife mentioned, St. Martins is right there as well.
Take in the awe of Trafalgar Square, the Lions, and Maj. Nelson

If you're interested in legal history, the Inns of Court is just around the corner on The Strand.

Aimlessly wander around Covent Garden - The London Transport Museum and Shop is very cool, and full of interesting gifts....

I'm sure I'll think of more, but hopefully that will suffice for now :)

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 07:07:28 PM »

Huh.  Last time I checked, St. Albans was not in London.  ::)

That's exactly my point. It is NOT in London.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 07:08:25 PM »
I got some kewl socks at the market by St. Martin's in the Field,, very kewl market :)  I loved the National Gallery as well,, didn't make it to the Portrait Gallery yet, but I am sure I will be blown away by it too.

Has anyone been to the London Zoo? Would be a bit a cold,, but was wondering if it was worth a visit?

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 07:47:37 PM »
That's exactly my point. It is NOT in London.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright...
[keyword:  irony]
or, if you prefer:  sarcasm.

Just to be absolutely sure, I checked:
We are headed to London this weekend...

Ah yes, and the thread TOPIC, according to my vision says: Name the one place in London you'd go see...

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 07:51:07 PM »
Has anyone been to the London Zoo? Would be a bit a cold, but was wondering if it was worth a visit?

LOVED the London Zoo... you're right, I don't know if it will be too cold (I went in the summer); but I was very impressed.  I had a not so great image in my mind, so maybe they've really fixed it up, but it was really wonderful.
They have sooooooooo many animals, and soooooo much space for them to roam in, I personally was very pleased to see that, and not bothered if I didn't get to see a certain animal because it might be off in another part of its area.
And they really focus on education and conservation; there are signs all over the park about it.

I really liked it.

[this post is sarcasm free]  ;)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 06:15:41 AM »
I love London, just the thrill of being there sets me all excited like I'm in some place that most of the world is not. (Hard to explain, but conjur up Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat up in the air when she arrives in Minneapolis.)

But what to do...I don't know! Never really seem to spend more than just the day there, and it's usually: in to do something specific/out to go home. But then, I'm rather simple when it comes to things that thrill me. Standing in the middle of a busy Victoria Station. Crossing one of the many footbridges across the Thames. Taking a boat under Tower Bridge and having it open to let you through. Hopping on a Routemaster (wahhhhh! I will miss these!).

I think London itself is the experience for me. Just being there, breathing it, touching it.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Banned

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 07:56:02 AM »

Ah yes, and the thread TOPIC, according to my vision says: Name the one place in London you'd go see...

And if you care to check, you will find that I did.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 09:23:41 AM »
I love London, just the thrill of being there sets me all excited like I'm in some place that most of the world is not. (Hard to explain, but conjur up Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat up in the air when she arrives in Minneapolis.)

But what to do...I don't know! Never really seem to spend more than just the day there, and it's usually: in to do something specific/out to go home. But then, I'm rather simple when it comes to things that thrill me. Standing in the middle of a busy Victoria Station. Crossing one of the many footbridges across the Thames. Taking a boat under Tower Bridge and having it open to let you through. Hopping on a Routemaster (wahhhhh! I will miss these!).
I think London itself is the experience for me. Just being there, breathing it, touching it.

I hear that!!  I bought a bunch (7) of the little Routemaster buses(from Hamley's) to send to friends in the US for Xmas.   ;)

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 10:52:56 AM »
And if you care to check, you will find that I did.

GOT IT.
Your mention of a pub has been clearly noted, and I'm sure will be a highlight.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 11:37:13 AM »
I suggest going on one of the walking tours...they are only £5 and you get a nice tour:

http://london.walks.com/

there's a bunch on Saturday and Sunday all during day to night...

I enjoy them!

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
Portobello Market. And a couple of glasses of wine with some of the unbelievable cheeses at the Cork & Bottle wine bar in Leicester Square....

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2004, 07:02:19 PM »
Oooooh that reminds me Gordons Wine Bar in Villiers St (off the Strand, nr charing cross station) is a MUST even if you are not a wine drinker.

Sponsored Links