Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: OTC antibiotic creams (Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc.) - not available?  (Read 15253 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: OTC antibiotic creams (Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc.) - not available?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Just as well I brought a load over, otherwise I'd have to change my name to Durhamlass. I'm going over to help my son move back in September so I'd better pick up another large bottle of the stuff. It's the best stuff I have for my back pain without a prescription. On the other hand if I could get it prescribed it would be free as I'm in my 60's.

Haha!  ;D
It's my go to, too, for everything except headache.  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
Naproxen is called feminax ultra or something here. I'm still going on the medium bottle I brought when I moved though so havent tried.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 12:12:36 AM »
They have bandaids here too...they're just called plasters.

lol I know they have plasters, I'm just special and like everything else only have one brand I'm not allergic to. It'll take time and hope to find one there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
They don't have Star Wars bandaids, tho.

I finally saw some Disney ones in Boots, on a bottom shelf. Some brightly-colored (solid colors) ones, too. But no "character" plasters.  Those of us who refuse to grow up are going to miss that when the current supply runs out. (I'm looking at Snoopy on my hand now.)

So Naproxin IS available OTC, if you know the secret handshake?  The Daughter says she needs Naproxin, so I'll be looking for it next visit to Boots and will tell her where to look for it as well.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
So Naproxin IS available OTC, if you know the secret handshake?  The Daughter says she needs Naproxin, so I'll be looking for it next visit to Boots and will tell her where to look for it as well.

Apparently. But if she gets a prescription for it, she won't have to pay anything for it, as you are in Scotland.  :)

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
hmmm, will pass that bit on, too!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
Naproxen is called feminax ultra or something here. I'm still going on the medium bottle I brought when I moved though so havent tried.

You can also just get it pretty easily as a prescription. They seem to prefer Naproxen to ibuprofen over here. I've got a stupid amount in my medicine cupboard because they keep prescribing it to me and I don't like taking it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
You can also just get it pretty easily as a prescription. They seem to prefer Naproxen to ibuprofen over here. I've got a stupid amount in my medicine cupboard because they keep prescribing it to me and I don't like taking it.

Do they? I didn't even know that :P.

The only reason I even know what naproxen is is because I was working in a pharmacy when it came off prescription for period pain... we had to do training on the product and who it could be sold to. Other than that, I'd never heard of naproxen before (never taken it myself either).

• Liked: 537
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
Do they? I didn't even know that :P.

The only reason I even know what naproxen is is because I was working in a pharmacy when it came off prescription for period pain... we had to do training on the product and who it could be sold to. Other than that, I'd never heard of naproxen before (never taken it myself either)

Yeah, they keep prescribing it to me as an anti-inflammatory. Once for my shoulder pain after falling down the stairs and most recently for this foot pain I have which didn't help. One was 250mg and the other was 500mg
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »
Who it can be sold to? Does that mean only people who might have period pain? If I were in need I might have sent my husband to get some for me.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »
Who it can be sold to? Does that mean only people who might have period pain? If I were in need I might have sent my husband to get some for me.

The person working behind the pharmacy counter should ask the following questions when selling it:
- who is it for?
- what are their symptoms?
- how long have they had the symptoms?
- what action have they taken already?
- are they taking any other medication?

If they are then satisfied that it is for someone with period pain, then they can sell it.

(However whether or not they actually ask those questions is another matter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
Wow, so you have to pass a quiz to purchase a product? That's ... quite a novelty.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
Wow, so you have to pass a quiz to purchase a product? That's ... quite a novelty.

Well, in reality, you don't often get asked all the questions - usually, you just get 'is it for yourself?' and 'have you taken it before?', then they remind you of the dosage to take.

However, as someone who worked for Boots on and off for 9 years, those questions are on your till screen and you are expected to ask them of every single customer who requests OTC medicine.

It's not supposed to be a quiz or an interrogation, it's to make sure you are being recommended and sold the correct product, and that what you are buying isn't going to interfere with any medicine you are already taking, or that your symptoms haven't persisted for so long that you should really see a doctor.

For example, I had a customer who came into the store and wanted to buy cold and flu sachets, which contained 1000mg paracetamol, and a decongestant in every sachet.

The conversation went something like this:
Me: who is it for?
Him: Myself
Me: What are your symptoms?
Him: I have a stuffy nose and a headache
Me: And how long have you had the symptoms?
Him: About 3 days now
Me: What have you taken already?
Him: Well, I've been taking one of these sachets every 4 hours, and I'm also taking paracetamol 4 times a day as well
Me: Actually, these cold and flu sachets you are taking already contain the maximum dosage of paracetamol you can take in one day, so you shouldn't be taking paracetamol tablets as well, because it means you're taking too much, which could damage your liver. You need to make sure that if you are taking the sachets, you don't take any other paracetamol products
Him: Oh, wow, I had no idea these sachets had paracetamol in them too. I'll stop taking the other paracetamol right away. Thank you so much for pointing that out
Me: Not a problem. Can I just ask, are you taking any other medication?
Him: No, I'm not.
Me: Okay, well, that'll be £3, please.

Another scenario that happened often was people buying decongestants:
Customer: I'd like to buy a packet of Sudafed, please.
Me: Certainly. Is it for yourself?
Customer: Yes, it is. I'm suffering from blocked sinuses
Me: Have the symptoms persisted long?
Customer: No, they just started today
Me: Have you taken anything already for it?
Customer: No, not yet. I've come in now to buy something.
Me: Okay, no problem. Are you taking any other medication at all?
Customer: Yes, I'm taking medication for high blood pressure
Me: Ah, okay, well, the thing is that decongestants like Sudafed work by restricting the blood vessels, which can increase your blood pressure. This means that taking Sudafed can interfere with your blood pressure medication and stop it working properly and because of this I'm not going to be able to sell this to you. Instead, you could try something like eucalyptus oil to help with your sinuses, or perhaps visit your doctor and see if there's anything they can prescribe for you.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
Well, in reality, you don't often get asked all the questions - usually, you just get 'is it for yourself?' and 'have you taken it before?', then they remind you of the dosage to take.

However, as someone who worked for Boots on and off for 9 years, those questions are on your till screen and you are expected to ask them of every single customer who requests OTC medicine.

It's not supposed to be a quiz or an interrogation, it's to make sure you are being recommended and sold the correct product, and that what you are buying isn't going to interfere with any medicine you are already taking, or that your symptoms haven't persisted for so long that you should really see a doctor.

For example, I had a customer who came into the store and wanted to buy cold and flu sachets, which contained 1000mg paracetamol, and a decongestant in every sachet.

The conversation went something like this:
Me: who is it for?
Him: Myself
Me: What are your symptoms?
Him: I have a stuffy nose and a headache
Me: And how long have you had the symptoms?
Him: About 3 days now
Me: What have you taken already?
Him: Well, I've been taking one of these sachets every 4 hours, and I'm also taking paracetamol 4 times a day as well
Me: Actually, these cold and flu sachets you are taking already contain the maximum dosage of paracetamol you can take in one day, so you shouldn't be taking paracetamol tablets as well, because it means you're taking too much, which could damage your liver. You need to make sure that if you are taking the sachets, you don't take any other paracetamol products
Him: Oh, wow, I had no idea these sachets had paracetamol in them too. I'll stop taking the other paracetamol right away. Thank you so much for pointing that out
Me: Not a problem. Can I just ask, are you taking any other medication?
Him: No, I'm not.
Me: Okay, well, that'll be £3, please.

Another scenario that happened often was people buying decongestants:
Customer: I'd like to buy a packet of Sudafed, please.
Me: Certainly. Is it for yourself?
Customer: Yes, it is. I'm suffering from blocked sinuses
Me: Have the symptoms persisted long?
Customer: No, they just started today
Me: Have you taken anything already for it?
Customer: No, not yet. I've come in now to buy something.
Me: Okay, no problem. Are you taking any other medication at all?
Customer: Yes, I'm taking medication for high blood pressure
Me: Ah, okay, well, the thing is that decongestants like Sudafed work by restricting the blood vessels, which can increase your blood pressure. This means that taking Sudafed can interfere with your blood pressure medication and stop it working properly and because of this I'm not going to be able to sell this to you. Instead, you could try something like eucalyptus oil to help with your sinuses, or perhaps visit your doctor and see if there's anything they can prescribe for you.

Good post, thanks. 

I didn't realize you could be stopped from buying Sudafed rather than just being advised that you should not be taking it.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »
Good post, thanks. 

I didn't realize you could be stopped from buying Sudafed rather than just being advised that you should not be taking it.

A pharmacist has the right to refuse sale to anyone if they don't believe it is being used for the right purpose, if you have been taking it for too long, or if it could potentially cause harm to you if you take it.

For example,
- people who buy Sudafed regularly, because a) they could have been using it for too long without seeing a doctor, b) they could be using it as a stimulant in sports competitions or c) they could be using it illegally in drug-cutting

- people who buy codeine-based products regularly (and yes, pharmacies get 'regulars' for the same medicines) because they could be addicted to it or abusing it - we used to have one lady who went as far as sending her employees in to purchase it for her, or she would pretend to be buying it for someone else, but she would come in for it every week, and codeine products should only be used for 3 days before going to the doctor

- people who want to purchase a product that cannot be taken with their current medication (i.e. Sudafed or Ibuprofen if they take blood pressure medication)

- people who are under 16 or over 60 and want to buy/use thrush treatments (because some medicines are only licenced to be sold to people between age 16 and 59 - outside those ages, you need to see the doctor first), or if they suffer with thrush regularly (because that can be a sign of an underlying condition and should be checked by a doctor)

- Piriton antihistamines for their pets! Vets will often recommend buying it over the counter because it's cheaper than getting it through them, but pharmacies are only licenced to sell medicine for human use/consumption

From the NHS website:

Pharmacy medicines

Only pharmacies may sell these medicines and a pharmacist must make or supervise the sale.

You’ll be asked if you have any medical conditions or take any other medicines, to check that it’s safe for you to take the medicine. For example, some nasal decongestants can raise your blood pressure, so you’ll be asked if you have high blood pressure before being sold the medicine.

Some pharmacy medicines may only be sold if the pharmacist is satisfied that it is suitable and safe for you to take.

For other medicines, the pharmacist may suggest that you see your GP. For example, if you’ve used clotrimazole pessaries for vaginal thrush more than twice in six months, you should see your GP so they can decide whether this is the most appropriate treatment.
(http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1325.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=101)

Sponsored Links