Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My experience at the US Embassy  (Read 2639 times)

• Liked: 60
Re: My experience at the US Embassy
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »
We've been down to the embassy for child registering twice now, and have screwed something up each time. First time I forgot to bring our marriage license, but after quizzing us about the ceremony they let that slide. Second time my wife forgot to bring any ID, but they were able to bring up our first application and compare signatures that way. Luckily we're not having any more kids, as I can't imagine what we'd forget in the future.

This reminds me of my parents getting their divorce (in the US). My dad, mom, and sister were all born in the same month. When the court asked for my mom's birthday, she gave my sister's. My dad nudged her to get her to correct it. You'd think this would suggest maybe she wasn't actually my mother, but the judge didn't care. They didn't ask for any ID, so he could have brought any lady in off the street and claim she was his (soon to be ex)-wife....  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
So my questions for you:

Do you remember what month/year you started your undergrad and graduate degrees?  Do you remember the month/year you got your first passport?

I think I'm a freak.  I started my undergrad degree in August of 1991, finished in May of 1996.  I started my graduate degree in August of 1998, finished in May of 2001.  My first passport was issued in late spring before we moved to Germany in 1989.  So... mostly yes?  I don't remember the month of that passport issue, but I know it was only a few weeks/months before we moved in the middle of July.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
I can remember the date I started my undergraduate degree because that is the date I met my future wife.

I can remember the year and approximate month I got my first US passport, and the year and approximate month I got my first British passport only because both events happened in very eventful years. (Graduated in 1977, and went on honeymoon)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 223
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
I can usually remember what events were happening around certain times.

I got my most recent US passport at the start of a year between a family member passing away and meeting my husband. We got married a year after we met and I know our anniversary, so I could work it out roughly.

No idea about my first US passport, though. I'm guessing about 8-9 years before my current US passport. :-\\\\ I could tell you what year it was before but I'd need to work out when my Europe trips were. Do we get partial credit for showing our work? I do remember it's a terrible photo. Hopefully that bit of knowledge would break the ice and score me some points in the interview. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 533
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
It's even more interesting later when people who know facts about the case, like if there was a pay phone in a mall 10 years ago, start to call in.

Just got to that bit.

Key fact....but no records....no one is sure.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »
I for some reason keep thinking I'm a year older than I am  ???

I have to look through old papers and emails to determine the dates of many things.  My brain can only handle so much!   

I know at my British passport interview they asked all kinds of random stuff and I kept thinking, I'm going to fail this.  Luckily, I didn't. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:17 PM »
I know at my British passport interview they asked all kinds of random stuff and I kept thinking, I'm going to fail this.  Luckily, I didn't.

British passport interview?  What is that?  You can't just get your first British passport by post?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
British passport interview?  What is that?  You can't just get your first British passport by post?

It's a glorified identity check.  :)

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/your-passport-interview

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
Even British-born UKCs do it?  It's not just for non-British who become naturalized?  I'm pretty sure there was no interview for my first US passport.  I was 15 at the time, but I don't remember one.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »
Even British-born UKCs do it?  It's not just for non-British who become naturalized?  I'm pretty sure there was no interview for my first US passport.  I was 15 at the time, but I don't remember one.

I don't recall ever having an interview for any of my UK passports...  but then I was listed on my mum's passport for most of my childhood (kids didn't need their own passports back then) and then I got my first UK passport when I was about 14 or 15.

Edited to add:

I just found this article from 2007, talking about passport interviews being introduced in 2007/2008: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/jun/20/uk.travelnews

From the article:

I need a new passport. Will I have to be interviewed?
If you are applying for a passport for the first time and you are 16 years old or over, you will need to arrange an interview. You will not be interviewed if you are renewing or replacing an existing passport, if you had a passport as a child, or if you are under 16.

When does this come in to affect?
In certain parts of the country, it already is. The scheme is being rolled out gradually nationwide until 2008, when interviews for first-time applicants will become obligatory. Glasgow and Belfast are already adhering to these regulations, with Newport and Peterborough opening offices within the next four weeks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:23:13 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 09:26:40 PM »
Being born British none of us had to have an interview for our first British passport, all done by post. My wife and 2 children were all born in England.

Last year when our son, living in the USA, went to renew his passport it had been over 10 years so he had to send a certified "long" birth certificate plus list his parents British passport numbers on his application and have his photo certified by someone who had known him a long time. All done by post from the USA.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »
I don't recall ever having an interview for any of my UK passports...  but then I was listed on my mum's passport for most of my childhood (kids didn't need their own passports back then) and then I got my first UK passport when I was about 14 or 15.

Edited to add:

I just found this article from 2007, talking about passport interviews being introduced in 2007/2008: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/jun/20/uk.travelnews

I was about to reply to suggest maybe it was relatively new practice, and your addendum appeared in my 'quote' text.  :)

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
Kinda wonder if they grill people and only actually suspect the ones that can name everything off letter perfect in minuscule detail, no matter how obscure or far back as possibly being alien robots ;0)

I tend to remember things by current events association too. I got my first passport in 1977, but frack all if I could say the month. I was eight and the only reason I recall that is because Star Wars was coming out and I was bugging that if we were gone I might not get to see it the first weekend.

The last time I had to get a new passport was April 2009, but I probably really only remember that because Miles' mum died the week after we went over to see her in hospice care that May.

I've gone back to college a total of five times at this point and can only recall the years because of the notable messes that precipitated having to stop: 1989 (chicken pox), 1991 (Dad's wreck, Mom's surgery, grandfather's cancer), 1999 (Hurricane Floyd and a back injury), 2010 (recession program cuts), 2014 (program investigated for funny money). If I had to pin down the month or date I'd have Fail Brain.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
This reminds me of my parents getting their divorce (in the US). My dad, mom, and sister were all born in the same month. When the court asked for my mom's birthday, she gave my sister's. My dad nudged her to get her to correct it. You'd think this would suggest maybe she wasn't actually my mother, but the judge didn't care. They didn't ask for any ID, so he could have brought any lady in off the street and claim she was his (soon to be ex)-wife....  ;D

A friend of mine has a similar thing; she and her husband have the same month and year birthday and she's forever writing in the same day too.
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

Sponsored Links