Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bad haircut  (Read 5052 times)

• Liked: 116
Re: Bad haircut
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
This thread has me terrified and I only want to cut my medium length hair to a long bob type thing where it only just brushes my shoulders (or a teensy bit shorter because it grows so fast).  Currently stalking the facebook profile photos of the reviews left on the hairdresser on my street to see how they look, LOL.

I think it's a good call to not go to the follow up appointment.  I might make another appointment somewhere else to even it up and get it closer to what you want.  It sounds like there was a language barrier there too...is there another place nearby where that isn't an issue?
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
Yeah. Clippers do take some practice. My mom used to shave our miniature schnauzers with clippers and you had to be careful, you can accidentally cut skin or get a REALLY uneven look, which is okay on the dog. The uneven look, not the cuts. Mom was always really careful about that.

Stylist used to shave my nape sometimes. That sounds a little bit dirty... haha.

Isn't that what a guard is supposed to prevent? Doesn't that give more of a uniform length all around and keep the blade a set distance from the scalp?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
I thought, "If I can shear a sheep,  I can cut my son hair."

Nope!

He's 20 years old now and still traumatized by that haircut.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hahaha. If you can shear a sheep, that's enough to impress me.

What was so traumatic about it?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
- Buy clippers and buzz it... but not to the bone... just so it's an inch or two all the way around. The girls in the videos both mentioned clippers, so I'll see if I'm up for that... and if DH is up for that since he'd be running the clippers ;D The shortest bit of fringe she gave me and the sides are 2 inches and the longest (the bit on top that's longer than I wanted) is about 3 inches. Does anyone have experience with cutting their own hair with clippers? I don't want to make it worse and it's probably more complicated than it seems, right?

I can promise you that most of the really short styles you see are NOT done with clippers. They are done with shears. You won't get the same texture using clippers as you do with scissors.

All the looks you posted would have been done with scissors.

Clippers give you all one length with no variation. Unless that's actually what you want.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
hahaha. If you can shear a sheep, that's enough to impress me.

What was so traumatic about it?
That he ended up bald because I had to fix all of the places I messed up.  (Even with the guard.) I ended up having to use a shaving razor and he was legit bald!

Then I put some lotion on his head and he screamed because the alcohol in the lotion burned his skin.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
Ok. Advice taken.

Out of curiosity, what is the complicated bit? My mom used to cut my brother's hair (simple buzz cut in the beginning that led into a buzz cut with a mohawk) so I assumed it was relatively straight forward. Maybe it's a totally different ball game for women's hair.

It's just not as easy as it looks. Haha. You can REALLY mess things up.

I'm just remembering some of the weird edges in the dogs fur.

My mom cuts my nephews hair and she uses shears and she gives them pretty short hair cuts. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
This thread has me terrified and I only want to cut my medium length hair to a long bob type thing where it only just brushes my shoulders (or a teensy bit shorter because it grows so fast).  Currently stalking the facebook profile photos of the reviews left on the hairdresser on my street to see how they look, LOL.

I think it's a good call to not go to the follow up appointment.  I might make another appointment somewhere else to even it up and get it closer to what you want.  It sounds like there was a language barrier there too...is there another place nearby where that isn't an issue?

The stylist who cut my hair didn't speak much so I couldn't gauge her English. I didn't think anything of it - stylists here have been a lot quieter than stylists in the US from my experience. It was only when she got the other girl to translate that I realised maybe she didn't understand what I was saying when I explained what I wanted. She was just nodding along. Maybe she did understand everything, though, just didn't think it would work and decided to give me something else. :-\\\\

There aren't many other places around here. Mostly barber-type shops. I'll head to more central and hopefully find a place used to working with my type of hair.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
Isn't that what a guard is supposed to prevent? Doesn't that give more of a uniform length all around and keep the blade a set distance from the scalp?

Yep. But you can still nick ears, necks and skin folds (girls don't usually have THAT problem). It just helps keep it from happening. It's not infallible.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »
That he ended up bald because I had to fix all of the places I messed up.  (Even with the guard.) I ended up having to use a shaving razor and he was legit bald!

Then I put some lotion on his head and he screamed because the alcohol in the lotion burned his skin.

Oh my. That's funny and frightening at the same time.

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
So clippers are not an option.

Thanks for the horror stories. They're making me feel better about my haircut. ;) At least it's too long, not too short.

5 minutes until my appointment (that I'm not going to). Fingers crossed there's no phone call. I hate the phone and I hate confrontation. Please don't call!!!!

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
The black and white looks like it may have been done with clippers and the Anne Hathaway one would have been done with scissors.

If you have ever seen walking dead. This women's hair was done with clippers.

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

If they have a facebook or instagram accounts those are even more useful than reviews!
If you're wanting more of a blunt bob or a lob or something that's relatively simple you should be okay. If I just wanted it all one length it would be a bit easier I think. But it does depend on your hair texture. :)

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »
So I just got my haircut again. We're on holiday in Germany, but I went to a salon I'd been before and knew one guy there who was super friendly, has cut my hair before and spoke English.  ;) Honestly, his English is better than the last hairdresser.  ::)

I showed him some pics and walked away happy. It's a bit of an adjustment since it's quite a bit shorter, but it's what I wanted. When I asked him to go shorter, he didn't say no like the last lady, so that's a win. ;D

Now, to figure out what styling products to use....  [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
So I just got my haircut again. We're on holiday in Germany, but I went to a salon I'd been before and knew one guy there who was super friendly, has cut my hair before and spoke English.  ;) Honestly, his English is better than the last hairdresser.  ::)

I showed him some pics and walked away happy. It's a bit of an adjustment since it's quite a bit shorter, but it's what I wanted. When I asked him to go shorter, he didn't say no like the last lady, so that's a win. ;D

Yay!  ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »

HUZZAH! (you should have asked him about styling products!)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab