Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stepparent adoption citizenship question  (Read 1970 times)

• Liked: 18
Stepparent adoption citizenship question
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
Hello,

We've been in the UK now for awhile, and since my oldest son's father passed away a couple of years ago, my son wants my husband to adopt him. Would a stepparent adoption of a US citizen fall under the Hague Convention Adoption, and therefore mean my son would become a UK citizen? I've tried looking on the government's website and any other sites, but none of them mention stepparent adoption and citizenship.
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 154
Re: Stepparent adoption citizenship question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »
Just following your thread because I'm in a similar situation. Would eventually like to adopt my step daughter, her mum passed away in January.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
Hello,

We've been in the UK now for awhile, and since my oldest son's father passed away a couple of years ago, my son wants my husband to adopt him. Would a stepparent adoption of a US citizen fall under the Hague Convention Adoption, and therefore mean my son would become a UK citizen? I've tried looking on the government's website and any other sites, but none of them mention stepparent adoption and citizenship.

This for adopting a step-child under age 18 through a UK court
https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption/adopting-a-stepchild

And then this it seems -

If your child is adopted by order of a court in the UK, (including, for this purpose, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), or in any British overseas territory (except the British Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus) and at least one of the adoptive parents was a British citizen at the time the adoption order was made, then the child will automatically become a British citizen.

In law they will become a ‘British citizen other than by descent’ which is the same as if they had been born in the UK to a British citizen parent. This means that they can pass on British citizenship to any children they have.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-how-adopted-children-can-become-british/intercountry-adoption-and-british-citizenship

• Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
Thanks Sirius! I wonder how long it takes. Our local council seems to have zero info, so I'll have to call and find out what it is they need. It's a relief to know he will become a citizen so he will have the option to come back if he ever decides that's something he wants to do. I'm still hoping he might change his mind and stay though.
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
Thanks Sirius! I wonder how long it takes. Our local council seems to have zero info, so I'll have to call and find out what it is they need.

Maybe take a trip to your local courts and see if they haver a leaflet on this? The staff that work there tend to know a lot but are not allowed to advise you, however if they have the information, they can point to their leaflets and say which shelf "might" have what you are looking for ;)

I'm not saying that they will have a leaflet, but if you are passing it might be worth a look.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:45:21 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab