Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Confused on the how and where of filing - help appreciated  (Read 1006 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Confused on the how and where of filing - help appreciated
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
This is only done with e-filing and that does look like the correct website for FBAR filing. I don't know for sure about the October 16 deadline. Personally I would go ahead and file, maybe add an explanation for missing the June 16 date along the lines you mention.

I thought the FBAR filing was earlier than the June tax extension?  Because you could extend the tax due date but not the FBAR? I've never done it because I'm not a signatory. Anyone look through other threads?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
Yeah. It was due April 15.

https://www.fincen.gov/news/news-releases/new-due-date-fbars-0

Ah, does have an automatic extension to October. No one has ever mentioned that before!

Thanks for the info Lionheart!

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
Yeah. It was due April 15.

https://www.fincen.gov/news/news-releases/new-due-date-fbars-0

Ah, does have an automatic extension to October. No one has ever mentioned that before!

Thanks for the info Lionheart!

I thought the FBAR filing was earlier than the June tax extension?  Because you could extend the tax due date but not the FBAR? I've never done it because I'm not a signatory. Anyone look through other threads?

I have just found this in the line item instructions:

"Extension of Time to File. FinCEN will grant filers failing to meet the FBAR annual due date of April 15th an automatic extension to October 15th each year. Accordingly, specific requests for an extension are not required."
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Yeah, it says that at the bottom of the FinCEN press release/news I linked. Very useful to know!

• Liked: 14
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
You're welcome jfkimberly & lyonaria :)

• Liked: 719
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »
Thanks, Durhamlad.

Quick question... I've reviewed my account history to get the maximum balance, but it's in GBP as of 29 July 2016.  How do I report it?  Prior to that date and after that date, my net worth was well under the threshold for reporting, so I just need to know how much the balance was on that date... in USD?

EDITED TO ADD:  Nevermind!  I found in the line-item instructions how to convert it to USD.

Yes, the official rate is published by the US Treasury each year. (Quite different from the IRS published average rate for use in tax returns)

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/treasury-reporting-rates-of-exchange-as-of-december-31-2016
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 08:34:34 AM »
I use Tax Act, but end up having to print out the return and mail it in as I have to write "exempt" from self employment tax and attach the HMRC certificate that proves I pay taxes to UK. Your wife would probably be able to efile. Some don't allow foreign addresses but there are a few that do. Once you've done it once with a commercial tax software, you'd know what forms to use in the future.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
The FBAR for 2016 is automatically extended to Monday 16 October 2017. 

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »
The FBAR for 2016 is automatically extended to Monday 16 October 2017.

I've already done it, and I knew about the automatic extention so I left the question blank.  But at the start, it wanted to know "if you are filing late, please indicate the reason..." and there was a drop-down menu of possible responses.  If we're within the automatic extention, is that still considered "late"?  Should I have given a response to that?

• Liked: 102
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
I've already done it, and I knew about the automatic extention so I left the question blank.  But at the start, it wanted to know "if you are filing late, please indicate the reason..." and there was a drop-down menu of possible responses.  If we're within the automatic extention, is that still considered "late"?  Should I have given a response to that?
No - it is not late for 2016. It is automatically extended.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
No - it is not late for 2016. It is automatically extended.

Thanks, guya!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
to the original OP of this thread. the filing sound quite straight forward. i was able to figure it out with one previous year model tax return. you could have an accountant do it this year and then use that tax form as a model for future years.

i would use a UK based accountant if possible that understands both systems. i had a much more complicated tax return and was able to do it myself. never heard a peep from the IRS. can't answer about the state tax return though. i left the US decades ago, never lived in the US as an adult.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
also re the pension plan, if it's a work pension plan, that's fairly straight forward, i used form 8833
the important thing is to learn the pitfalls so your wife avoids any future pitfalls. There can be problems with investing in Isas, foreign mutual funds etc. most places will not sell to US citizen but it's good to know the pitfalls. being a part owner of a foreign corporation to name a few.
feel free to come back and ask questions. i renounced now but with the few years that I was in the system (i more or less renounced right away) i managed to learn the pitfalls which helped in this decision.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab