Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long does it take for letting agents to ask for the deposit?  (Read 2346 times)

• Liked: 36
We found a house and they are checking our references (not that we have any to check since we don't live in the UK).  How long does it typically take for them to ask for the deposit and 6 months rent?  My husband is getting nervous because they are moving so slowly.  We were sure it that was common (it's in Glasgow).  They took the house listing offline as soon as we said we wanted it.  My mother-in-law looked at it last Saturday so it's been almost a week.  Are we just being impatient Americans (lol)?  My husband, who is Scottish but lived here 26 years is going to have to get used to people being more laid back. 

• Liked: 584
Re: How long does it take for letting agents to ask for the deposit?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
Ring them up and ask for an update.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Definitely talk to them. We communicated by email with our landlord by email and had all the credit run, etc., in advance, but we didn't put a deposit down until we physically were in Glasgow and took possession of the property (along with paying the first month's rent).  Be sure they put the deposit in the official deposit scheme - we had a few landlords try to get us to put two months' "deposit" up front and said that that would cover our last two months in the flat. Bad idea, that.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »
Hi Nan, didn't you have to pay 6 months rent in advance? I've heard on here that everyone coming from the US does since they have no credit history in the US.  We have emailed to ask for an update, but are also having difficulty because the main letting office is in England and they keep telling us I have to have my visa before we can rent which isn't the law in Scotland.  It's very frustrating because the letting agent knows that and keeps telling her colleagues but they don't seem to get it.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:21:27 AM »
The standard practice is to have to pay 6 months up front because of the lack of UK credit, but I guess it depends on the letting agency/landlord as to what they will accept

If it's such a hassle to get your name on the lease now, can't you just put it in your spouse's name for now and then get your name added to the lease after you have received your visa? It might just be easier in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Hi.

No, we paid the security deposit into the SafeDeposit trust (or, rather, to the landlord who sent it there). They took it and the first month's rent at the same time as we signed the formal lease agreement. They also allowed me to pay everything by credit card, since I couldn't get a bank account set up until I had proof of residence.

I did deal with a few letting agents who were trying to not use SafeDeposit - and they just hit me as sleazy. So I didn't pursue properties they were representing.
I had only a couple of agents discuss 6 months in advance, but the majority did not. Our current landlords are a large, well-established organization, which is a bit different from renting from someone who only owns one or a few properties. I had the advantage of having an Irish passport, and that was good enough for them. My daughter is not on the lease, although we have written permission for her to be living in the flat. We did have one landlord turn us down because she was going to be a student - they said their insurance prohibited renting to students.

I did send our current landlord quite a bit of financial information up front and I think it helped.

Hang in there!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

I did send our current landlord quite a bit of financial information up front and I think it helped.

Yeah, they must have liked the look of your bank account!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
Yeah, they must have liked the look of your bank account!  ;D

Well, it's not huge. But it's remarkably secure. Plus, I'm an old broad - not likely to have wild parties, etc.... ::) ;D

• Liked: 154
How long does it take for letting agents to ask for the deposit?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »
Hi, I use to work in the reference side of Lettings. Are you still stateside? Are you renting or own currently?? They will try everything to get a reference from your past landlords. We used to come early/stay late to get calls out to landlords in Australia, America etc.  To be honest it was a pain, because most Lettings agents want a two week max turnaround on references and these usually took longer.

If your renting in the states or have employment lined up in the U.K. call them and tell them to respond to the emails etc. It could help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:00:43 PM by Eh127929 »

• Liked: 154
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
And this was a national company, and the owner came from another huge company so I think practices are similar across the board in referencing. It's frustrating how long it can take... nhs references were horrible to get...especially the junior doctors.

I don't miss that job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »
We are still in the states and own a home here (which we we have sold and close on at the end of August).  We don't have a bank account yet but transferred a large amount into my mil's account so she can pay the deposit for us.  I need to transfer more over for the 6 months rent but wish they would give me exact dates that they need the money.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
I sure wouldn't transfer anything until I had a signed lease.... :o

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Also , be very careful about transferring large amounts of money into unfamiliar accounts.  There are scammers that intercept emails and substitute their bank details.  Also, if you miss one digit it will go into someone else's account and the bank won't help get it back. 
Transfer a small amount first and confirm it got there.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
We finally got an update from the letting agent's head office that it is okay for us to get the house without my visa and they will add me to the lease when once that is received.  We have transferred money to my mil to pay the deposit.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
Also , be very careful about transferring large amounts of money into unfamiliar accounts.  There are scammers that intercept emails and substitute their bank details.  Also, if you miss one digit it will go into someone else's account and the bank won't help get it back. 
Transfer a small amount first and confirm it got there.

Yes, our letting agents emailed the bank account for setting up our standing order, and I called to confirm that it was the correct account.

We only put down a deposit with our first month's rent the day before moving in.  We had signed our contract 2 weeks earlier.  A couple days before signing the contract we viewed the flat and put down the letting agent's fee (a couple hundred pounds) to hold it. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links