Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Turned down for my BRP  (Read 3115 times)

• Liked: 1899
Turned down for my BRP
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »

I just got a letter refusing my application for a BRP.  Can you guys help me figure out what it means and if the reasoning behind it is correct?

I thought that even though I entered under European rules, I had stayed long enough to gain Indefinite Leave to Remain, and that's what this stamp is:

I would like to know if I should apply for the EEA permanent residence card that they suggest, or is that the one that will be redundant soon?  If I do apply, do I have to send my wife's passport away for some months?

Also, does this mean that my boy who was born after that stamp is not actually British?  We've been waiting to get my BRP before doing the applications for the kids but I am unsure now about their status. 

Can someone please explain?

• Liked: 4991
Re: Turned down for my BRP
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »
Really interesting.  I'll be curious to what Sirius thinks.

The stamp in your passport is no doubt an NTL stamp...  only thing I can think is they've considered you to be on EEA rules since that stamp was received.  Any entry stamps since that one?

At least you are getting the fee refunded, you lucky duck!

Why not apply for permanent residence and then do citizenship?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:09:13 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »
They love to make everything so bloody confusing. Are you married to a British person? Where were your kids born? I had always assumed that the ILR means you have a no time limit stamp which u have so doesn't make sense to me. I would seek  some professional advise as seems ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »
Sorry I can't answer your questions but sure someone that can will come along soon.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
Thanks all. 

deb Michael, I am married to a French woman and both kids were born here.
We are thinking about seeking professional advice but Im not convinced it will be better than what people here will tell me.

• Liked: 347
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
I thought that even though I entered under European rules, I had stayed long enough to gain Indefinite Leave to Remain,

ILR is for those under UK immigration rules and is nothing to do with EEA Regulations. The EEA regs are nothing to do with UK immigration laws and the EU gives PR not ILR (a DCPR or PRC required for British citizenshp).

You did say before that you had sent off your passport for another UK visa and instead of another visa, your passport came back with an IRL stamp and that you didn't know why you got ILR. We did wonder if that was an error. I don't know what the ILR rules were back then.

We also said that some EEA citizens might have got stamped in ILR before 2000, but you said your wife didn't get that, so it didn’t look like you got ILR that way? 

The letter is saying that their records for you show that your permission to be in the UK is via the EEA Regs (your EEA citizen wife sponsor) and they said that you don’t hold ILR and that’s why they are returning your fee for a BRP. 

Has your wife sent off for her DCPR? They are telling you to get a PRC (for non-EEA citizens) and you could only get that through your EEA citizen sponsor if she had proof of her PR: usually a DCPR.

I would like to know if I should apply for the EEA permanent residence card that they suggest, or is that the one that will be redundant soon?  If I do apply, do I have to send my wife's passport away for some months?

I suppose the first thing to find out is if you really do hold ILR.

Under the recent update for those in the UK using EEA Regulations, that we are talking about on the Advisories board (BREXIT), even those that hold PR will have to register on Brexit as there won't be PR anymore as that is EU rules. That’s about all we know atm. This is why those who can, are getting their DCPR or PRC that they need to apply for citizenship and then applying for citizenship before Brexit.

Also, does this mean that my boy who was born after that stamp is not actually British?  We've been waiting to get my BRP before doing the applications for the kids but I am unsure now about their status. 

A child born in the UK must have one settled parent to be born British (ILR, The EU’s PR or British citizenship). Different EU Regulations before 2000.

If they don't agree that you had ILR when he was born in the UK, then he won't be born British through you. It’s back to what year your son was born and depending on that, what your wife’s status was in the UK when he was born.

If he isn’t born British then you will have to do the same as your daughter and pay to register him too.

Your PRC will be about £65 but as the EEA Regs stop at the EU’s PR. Even those on EEA Regulations have to pay the full fee to naturalise (for adults) and register (for children) as British citizens.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:04:39 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Thanks s lot for your detailed response Sirius, you are a star ⭐️. 
I'm going to read and digest all of that, talk with my wife and try to work out the next steps. 

• Liked: 347
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
For your ILR stamp, you could try asking on the ILR board of that immgiration site I directed you to before, when you wanted to know about citizenship for your daughter via the EEA regs? They have Home office staff posting on there: the purple(ish) light blue  coloured usernames. The mod on there who was very good with EEA law, has now gone.

I don't know if you requesting a SAR would help to see if there is a reason why you could have that ILR stamp?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/requests-for-personal-data-uk-visas-and-immigration

For British citizenship for you and your wife, at the moment, a DCPR (for your EEA citizen wife) and a PRC (for non-EEA citizens) act in the same way as the UK's ILR. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:20:48 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links