Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer.  (Read 25055 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Computer.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
"Auto updates" are a four-letter-word in my vocabulary.  If my system is stable and does what I want it to do, I put off updates until I need a security patch or I've lost functionality due to other software updating.

I'm the same. Even with phones, where you know the OS updates are patching bugs & security issues, I always wait at least 2-3 weeks after the update is out because there are without fail extra bugs to be fixed with the release.

For new computers, I usually buy direct from the manufacturer. Right now through work I get discounts on them going through their corporate perks website and it's wonderful. 15-40% off comes in handy!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
I took the computer back in on Monday after the "repair" didn't last an hour.
After hearing nothing at all from them all week, I called this afternoon to be told that they hadn't been able to reproduce the fault!
So I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, lets see how long it lasts this time.  :-\\\\

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
 Computer is home! Please wish me luck that it lasts a while this time!.  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Computer is home! Please wish me luck that it lasts a while this time!.  :)

Good luck!

If you want, you can get this free program to monitor your CPU's temperature.  If it is just an overheating issue, maybe you can sort that out with a chill pad or by making sure the vents aren't blocked when you're using the computer.  http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I just installed it to see how easy it is to use.  When it's minimized, this is what I see for my dual-core laptop:

The interface for changing settings and setting up alerts is pretty straightforward.  Just a six-tab dialog box of buttons to tick or untick, depending on what you want.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
Oh poor Larrabee, she starts off by saying "I don't know what a lot of the computer-y words mean" and 5 pages later she has to monitor her CPU temperature ! 

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Oh poor Larrabee, she starts off by saying "I don't know what a lot of the computer-y words mean" and 5 pages later she has to monitor her CPU temperature !

I did try to pick an easy program to use!  There are some elaborate monitors available out there!  Look at my screenshot!  It's just the two core temps!  Simple!  :P

And that might not even be her issue, anyway.  I am hoping it is, because that's something she can deal with.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
You are totally right, and having a log of rising CPU temps before a crash would certainly make the case.  Still, nobody has to monitor the CPU of an iPad.  Just sayin....

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
Good luck!

If you want, you can get this free program to monitor your CPU's temperature.  If it is just an overheating issue, maybe you can sort that out with a chill pad or by making sure the vents aren't blocked when you're using the computer.  http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I just installed it to see how easy it is to use.  When it's minimized, this is what I see for my dual-core laptop:

The interface for changing settings and setting up alerts is pretty straightforward.  Just a six-tab dialog box of buttons to tick or untick, depending on what you want.

I'm sure overheating has at least something to do with it! Thanks for that. I'll try it!  ;D

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »

Heehee that's nothing! They've got me making origami frogs over in the visa section!  ;D

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
You are totally right, and having a log of rising CPU temps before a crash would certainly make the case.  Still, nobody has to monitor the CPU of an iPad.  Just sayin....

Hah!  True.  But only having an iPad?  I couldn't live that way!

I'm sure overheating has at least something to do with it! Thanks for that. I'll try it!  ;D

Good luck!  I really hope it runs more smoothly for you.  Make sure you keep backing up your important files, just to be safe.

Heehee that's nothing! They've got me making origami frogs over in the visa section!  ;D

I'm so glad I didn't get roped into that.  I would be so annoyed with myself when I inevitably failed at it.  :P  But you!  You're doing the thing!  I'm impressed.  :)

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
Crashed again.  :\\\'(

This time in grand style, froze, then blue screen, then that boot device not found screen. Fed up.

I used it very lightly last night and was on it for literally about 15 mins this morning. Temp 44 C at most.  ;)

I took a photo of the screen because I really don't think they believed me when I told them it had crashed again, last time.

Any ideas what I should tell them to try when I take it back.. again?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 06:22:33 AM »
At this point, I'd probably not even bother taking it back and instead I'd just buy a new laptop.

If it's still crashing regularly and their 'repairs' aren't working, it sounds like further repairs aren't going to help either.

Personally, I use a MacBook - I've had one since 2012 and I'm more than happy with it... I'd never go back to a Windows machine now. My MacBook starts up within a few seconds, compared with 10 minutes for my old Sony VAIO to start up, and it runs quickly. Of course, as someone who has programmed a lot in the past, I find Macs more convenient. My only real complaint is with the ports available and the accidental disconnection of the charger/external devices if you knock the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
At this point, I'd probably not even bother taking it back and instead I'd just buy a new laptop.

If it's still crashing regularly and their 'repairs' aren't working, it sounds like further repairs aren't going to help either.

Personally, I use a MacBook - I've had one since 2012 and I'm more than happy with it... I'd never go back to a Windows machine now. My MacBook starts up within a few seconds, compared with 10 minutes for my old Sony VAIO to start up, and it runs quickly. Of course, as someone who has programmed a lot in the past, I find Macs more convenient. My only real complaint is with the ports available and the accidental disconnection of the charger/external devices if you knock the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heehee, yes. The definition of insanity!  ;D

I wish I could decide which one to replace it with, then it would be easier just to give up on this one.

I've been looking less at specs this week and paying more attention to what feels comfortable but I'm not there yet!

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
Crashed again.  :\\\'(

This time in grand style, froze, then blue screen, then that boot device not found screen. Fed up.

I used it very lightly last night and was on it for literally about 15 mins this morning. Temp 44 C at most.  ;)

I took a photo of the screen because I really don't think they believed me when I told them it had crashed again, last time.

Any ideas what I should tell them to try when I take it back.. again?

Show them the photo of the blue screen  (can we see?).  What were you doing when it crashed?  Did it make any noises this time?

If the temp stayed that low, and it crashed so soon after powering it on, overheating can probably be ruled out, which is disappointing.

I think you are right to shop for a replacement at this point.

And I totally agree with ksand42... skip taking it back to the repair people unless you know they won't charge you again, and it's convenient.  I am thinking there's no point if they haven't managed to fix it in all this time.

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »
Thanks!

I didn't get a pic of the blue screen, that only lasted a moment. I got a shaky pic of the one that followed. I'll put it up later.

They guarantee their repairs for 30 days (!) and they are close so I am inclined to go back, even if it's just to try to get the money back for the "repair".
I'm happy to let them keep the money I paid for the initial diagnostics but I only agreed to paying the extra because they said they could fix it for sure!

No noises this time. It does seem to be running cooler now which is something, the fan sounds as it should when it does kick on.
I was just browsing, I probably had half a dozen tabs open. At first it felt a bit like my connection had dropped because pages were not responding, then the cursor froze, then the blue screen, then the crash.

Sponsored Links