Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer.  (Read 25200 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Computer.
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
No noises this time. It does seem to be running cooler now which is something, the fan sounds as it should when it does kick on.
I was just browsing, I probably had half a dozen tabs open. At first it felt a bit like my connection had dropped because pages were not responding, then the cursor froze, then the blue screen, then the crash.

That sounds like memory or a failing hard drive. :( It's definitely time to look into replacements! If you have a working hard drive laying around it could be worth trying it, but don't keep dumping money into this if the shop can't definitively diagnose and repair the problem.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 08:06:27 AM »
That sounds like memory or a failing hard drive. :( It's definitely time to look into replacements! If you have a working hard drive laying around it could be worth trying it, but don't keep dumping money into this if the shop can't definitively diagnose and repair the problem.

Thanks margo!

The guy who has been working on it is honestly almost impossible to understand, he mutters and doesn't speak in sentences but I think I caught something about him having added extra memory so maybe that would mean at least he is thinking along the same lines?
Yeah, no spare hard drives lying around I'm afraid!

I'm getting really fed up with computer shopping but I've promised myself I'll go out again today to try to find something that I think will suit me. Going to try another Currys a bit further away and hope it has a better selection.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
Margo has hit the nail on the head: "Boot device not found" means your computer cannot find it's hard drive, which means it is intermittently failing.  Which also means it will fail more often until it finally stops working and everything you have saved since your last back up will be gone. 

Back up all your work ASAP and buy something new. 

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
Today I got my money back for the non-repair.  I consider that a coup in itself considering I found out after the fact that they only took cash so I didn't have the safety net of credit card protection! Yikes!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 12:45:04 AM »
Today I got my money back for the non-repair.  I consider that a coup in itself considering I found out after the fact that they only took cash so I didn't have the safety net of credit card protection! Yikes!

That is impressive!  So, how's your computer shopping going?  Have you narrowed down your choice any?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 03:59:48 AM »
That is impressive!  So, how's your computer shopping going?  Have you narrowed down your choice any?

Haha, I was so relieved!

I'm probably down to a choice between another Envy, or a Mac, possibly the Dell xps but I've been reading that a lot of those are lemons.  :-\\\\

The thing is, having borrowed the mac, I really love the 2 finger swipe to change the page forward and back. The guys at Currys said that PC's can do that too now but can't seem to get the Envy to do it. The xps does. Does anyone who has an HP know?

That's what's holding me up really, I do not know why I don't just get the mac but there is something preventing me or I would have as the prices are all very similar for the lower end machines in each range.

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
I really don't know much about mac laptops but I listen to a podcast called "Cult of Mac" and they weren't too keen on the latest mac something or other.  Seems that there was a redesign and they have gotten rid of a lot of the ports and connections.  You may want to evaluate what you like to plug in to your current laptop (printer? Camera? ) and make sure you can plug that stuff into your new one. 
If you must shop at Currys, do your research seriously and be aware .  That store is full of shady rip offs and pressure to buy worthless warranties.  I'd consider also buying from jhon Lewis, you might be treated better if things go wrong.

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 10:57:29 AM »
I really don't know much about mac laptops but I listen to a podcast called "Cult of Mac" and they weren't too keen on the latest mac something or other.  Seems that there was a redesign and they have gotten rid of a lot of the ports and connections.  You may want to evaluate what you like to plug in to your current laptop (printer? Camera? ) and make sure you can plug that stuff into your new one. 
If you must shop at Currys, do your research seriously and be aware .  That store is full of shady rip offs and pressure to buy worthless warranties.  I'd consider also buying from jhon Lewis, you might be treated better if things go wrong.

Thanks Jim, you're absolutely right on all counts!  :)

The new mac has only one place to plug anything in so you have to buy adapters. The only things I need to plug in are usb at the moment but it doesn't even have that.
Even my first time looking in Currys they were totally trying to sell me on the package deals/warranties even though I told them I was not there to buy, just to try them out. The thing is, it's the only place that I can easily get to that I can take them for a test drive.
I'll almost certainly buy online from John Lewis when I've made up my mind.

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »
Maybe you could look on the apple site and see if there are any factory refurbished older models.  They will be cheaper and have all the missing ports and a hefty warranty from Apple.  They might even have that cool magnet power cord that disconnects if you trip on it.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
The magnet power cord is extremely annoying - while it doesn't come out if you tug on it, one tiny knock from the top or bottom and it just falls out when you pick it up or move it around.

I bought a new MacBook Pro last September - didn't want to get the new model with no ports as I was heading overseas with no WiFi for 3 months and needed to be able to plug in USB cord and Ethernet cables (and couldn't risk an adapter not working).

I went through the TopCashback site so I could get a few quid back, plus there was an offer on so I managed to get it for about £150 cheaper than the normal price.

It used to be much cheaper to buy Apple products in the US when I went over (in 2012 I bought a MacBook Air and an iPod Touch for £400 cheaper in total than they would have been in the UK), but with the weak pound at the moment, it's not such a good bargain anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
I never actually used the power cord  in real life so none of that surprises me. 

• Liked: 537
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
Thanks Jim, you're absolutely right on all counts!  :)

The new mac has only one place to plug anything in so you have to buy adapters. The only things I need to plug in are usb at the moment but it doesn't even have that.
Even my first time looking in Currys they were totally trying to sell me on the package deals/warranties even though I told them I was not there to buy, just to try them out. The thing is, it's the only place that I can easily get to that I can take them for a test drive.
I'll almost certainly buy online from John Lewis when I've made up my mind.

As Jim said, get a slightly older refurbished Mac I'd you go for them. You get the full 1 year Apple warranty on it and you can get more foe your money. My friend always gets her Macs this way.

Don't get the crappy MacBook air-esque Pro. It totally ticked me off that they did that. *facepalm*
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 06:19:24 PM »
The magnet power cord is extremely annoying - while it doesn't come out if you tug on it, one tiny knock from the top or bottom and it just falls out when you pick it up or move it around.

Weird. I've had my MacBook Pro since 2011 and I've never had a problem with the magnet getting knocked. I used to use it all the time on my lap and plugged in. Haha. If it wasn't getting old and slow I'd still be using it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
Computer.
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Weird. I've had my MacBook Pro since 2011 and I've never had a problem with the magnet getting knocked. I used to use it all the time on my lap and plugged in. Haha. If it wasn't getting old and slow I'd still be using it.
I'm the same. Never had issues with the power cord, but the hardware quality has not kept up with what I'd expect from Apple.

I'd go with a windows computer at this point, most mouse/trackpad  controls can be configured from the control panel. :) (I'd dual boot with Linux)

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
The old computer seems to have taken it's last gasp, I can't get it going again.

Really quite sad.  :\\\'(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab