Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone done USA-France-UK ??  (Read 7056 times)

• Liked: 52
Anyone done USA-France-UK ??
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
So we are looking into flying with our dog in the cabin in Air France to Paris then going with Pet Movers to transport via the eurotunnel into the UK. Couple of questions...

1. Has anyone done the USA-France-UK route?
2. Does France require different forms from UK or is it all of EU "PETS" form?

Thanks

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 4985
Re: Anyone done USA-France-UK ??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
We had a member do this a few years ago.  I'll find her post.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »
This topic hasn't got any responses so I thought I'd chime in real quick.

I did a flight SEA (Seattle) to LAX (Los Angeles) then to CDG (Paris) and what I had my vet fill out two forms for my animal, one that just had English and one with French as well.  To be frank, the French officers didn't seem as concerned with the paperwork as the UK officials in Calais.  I personally could've made it just fine with the English version, but it might be best for you to get one of each.  Arrive at least 2 hours prior to your Euro tunnel departure, and go to the animal check area to have them review your paperwork and give your pet a chance to stretch its legs at the mini dog park they have there.

All in all, this trip isn't for someone who is lazy or lacks attention to detail.  I paid around 400$ give or take total to get my small dog to the UK including the Vet stuff, USDA endorsement, and dog airfare all because I skipped using an agent, and then a bit extra for fuel, tunnels, and Eurotunnel travel.

UK Document Page with current Annex IV (good for 10 days only not 4 months or whatever!):
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pet-travel-certificate-for-movement-of-dogs-cats-and-ferrets-from-third-countries

Various language formats download page:
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu_en

Scroll down to the part that says "Health Certificate and Declaration" and select the "EN•••" to view the form in various languages.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
This topic hasn't got any responses so I thought I'd chime in real quick.

I did a flight SEA (Seattle) to LAX (Los Angeles) then to CDG (Paris) and what I had my vet fill out two forms for my animal, one that just had English and one with French as well.  To be frank, the French officers didn't seem as concerned with the paperwork as the UK officials in Calais.  I personally could've made it just fine with the English version, but it might be best for you to get one of each.  Arrive at least 2 hours prior to your Euro tunnel departure, and go to the animal check area to have them review your paperwork and give your pet a chance to stretch its legs at the mini dog park they have there.

All in all, this trip isn't for someone who is lazy or lacks attention to detail.  I paid around 400$ give or take total to get my small dog to the UK including the Vet stuff, USDA endorsement, and dog airfare all because I skipped using an agent, and then a bit extra for fuel, tunnels, and Eurotunnel travel.

UK Document Page with current Annex IV (good for 10 days only not 4 months or whatever!):
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pet-travel-certificate-for-movement-of-dogs-cats-and-ferrets-from-third-countries

Various language formats download page:
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu_en

Scroll down to the part that says "Health Certificate and Declaration" and select the "EN•••" to view the form in various languages.

Thanks for the great info. We intend using this route also, and hopefully soon.
Did you get the tapeworm treatment done in the US before traveling through France to the UK?

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »
Yes, I had my vet do the health check and tapeworm booster 2 days before my flight, and visited the USDA office (APHIS?) in my local area the day of my flight (had to book an appointment and it was the best date I could reserve).

Air France was great with my dog and I, just make sure you get to the airport early and have a nice sorted folder with your correct paperwork and you'll be set.

I'll be making another trip this week with my bloodhound, and I plan to just take him Air France/ KLM to LHR if cost isn't too prohibitive.  They seem to have the best flat rates for dogs up to 75kg.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Yes, I had my vet do the health check and tapeworm booster 2 days before my flight, and visited the USDA office (APHIS?) in my local area the day of my flight (had to book an appointment and it was the best date I could reserve).

Air France was great with my dog and I, just make sure you get to the airport early and have a nice sorted folder with your correct paperwork and you'll be set.

I'll be making another trip this week with my bloodhound, and I plan to just take him Air France/ KLM to LHR if cost isn't too prohibitive.  They seem to have the best flat rates for dogs up to 75kg.

It is such a relief to hear you have had a positive experience and you have made it sound so easy! Thanks.

Until last week we were going to have our 2 dogs with us, one in cabin and one in cargo, but our big boy sadly passed away. Four days later we received the decision email, so are waiting to see if my spouse has approval. This week has been an emotional roller coaster.

Thought I had the transportation part under control until I read that France doesn't require the tapeworm treatment on their certificate, but the UK does. But your info has sorted that out for me, so thanks.

Safe travels with your poochies. :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
Until last week we were going to have our 2 dogs with us, one in cabin and one in cargo, but our big boy sadly passed away.

So sorry to hear this.  :\\\'(

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
So sorry to hear this.  :\\\'(

Thanks. Chance was in his 16th year and had some medical issues, but was still so full of life. Despite his age, it still has been a terrible shock. He has been part of our lives and family for almost as long as we have been together.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
It is such a relief to hear you have had a positive experience and you have made it sound so easy! Thanks.....

Sorry to hear about your loss :(  Be prepared with some Euros for all the tolls roads to Calais (Around 80 should do). 

My only hiccup on the trip with my little dog was: he did escape from his soft crate when I was loading luggage into the bin, but I caught him quickly so it wasn't an issue.

I recommend sending a scan of your paperwork to the Animal Center in Calais for extra peace of mind (if you're able to email them) so they can review it for issues before you leave..

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/blog/inspired-breaks/new-pet-reception-in-calais/

Also, I recommend getting on the ball with getting your spouse's application for NIN#, registered with your local surgery, and getting a ID/ provisional license- it requires sending out the BRP or passport to Wales for 2-3 weeks but it'll save lots of hassle for getting a bank account and other items moving forward.  They'll have to wait 6mo's before they can apply for a full license.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss :(  Be prepared with some Euros for all the tolls roads to Calais (Around 80 should do). 

My only hiccup on the trip with my little dog was: he did escape from his soft crate when I was loading luggage into the bin, but I caught him quickly so it wasn't an issue.

I recommend sending a scan of your paperwork to the Animal Center in Calais for extra peace of mind (if you're able to email them) so they can review it for issues before you leave..

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/blog/inspired-breaks/new-pet-reception-in-calais/

Also, I recommend getting on the ball with getting your spouse's application for NIN#, registered with your local surgery, and getting a ID/ provisional license- it requires sending out the BRP or passport to Wales for 2-3 weeks but it'll save lots of hassle for getting a bank account and other items moving forward.  They'll have to wait 6mo's before they can apply for a full license.

Will do. Thanks again!. :)

• Liked: 52
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
101paperclips - so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you had many happy years and lots of memories to cherish. Hang in there.

TheDude - thanks for all this great info. We are planning the US-France-UK route with our cockapoo in the new year assuming all goes well with my visa application. Fingers crossed.

Here is my big question for you. In doing some research I had read that one way car rental from France through the Eurotunnel, or by ferry, into the U.K. with a pet (or without) was not available. Is this not the case? Did you rent a car and come into the U.K. or did you come in some other way?

Thanks in advance,

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
101paperclips - so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you had many happy years and lots of memories to cherish. Hang in there.

TheDude - thanks for all this great info. We are planning the US-France-UK route with our cockapoo in the new year assuming all goes well with my visa application. Fingers crossed.

Here is my big question for you. In doing some research I had read that one way car rental from France through the Eurotunnel, or by ferry, into the U.K. with a pet (or without) was not available. Is this not the case? Did you rent a car and come into the U.K. or did you come in some other way?

Thanks in advance,

NWKH

Hi NWKH:

TheDude has had some great pointers on how to do this, hasn't he!

If we get an approval (UPS delivery due tomorrow), our intention is to drive from the MS gulf coast to Atlanta, then fly to Paris so our little one just has to do the one flight, then take the train to Calais. From there we are hoping to use pet-moves to bring us in their taxi through the eurotunnel. Depending on the price we would either train it to London, or get them to drive us to London to catch a sleeper train up to Scotland.

If all goes to plan, I will post in detail exactly how it plays out. :)

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
Did you rent a car and come into the U.K. or did you come in some other way...

I had someone drive from SE Anglia pick me up at CDG in Paris

I assume they won't do one way rentals as the cars in Europe are slightly different to those in the UK ;)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
If you find yourself seriously having trouble getting through the tunnel, let me know and I’ll come pick you up from Calais.  In an emergency I will help you out if pet moves can’t do it for some reason.  I’d only ask for a slap up French meal, gas and grits.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab