Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is it possible to get a broadband/TV package without credit  (Read 2233 times)

• Liked: 36
Is it possible to get a broadband/TV package without credit
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
My husband and daughter just moved to Glasgow while I am waiting for my visa.  He went to the Carphone Warehouse to inquire about internet/TV/phone packages for the house we are renting.  The guy said he couldn't get one with the 12 month contract because he didn't have credit.  He said the sales person didn't seem to be know much and wasn't able to answer his questions.  Has anyone been able to get a package?  We are able to pay for the full year in advance.  Also when we type the house address in Virgin its says it's not in the area however the owner said he used Virgin and there are Virgin boxes in the house.  We are totally confused.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Is it possible to get a broadband/TV package without credit
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
Hmmm.  When I moved the one thing I didn't have trouble getting was tv/internet.  Took a month to have installed but my lack of credit wasn't an issue...  I'd try calling directly.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Carphone Warehouse isn't the place to go to get answers about broadband/TV. I'd suggest checking with a website like uswitch for a comparison of what broadband and TV providers are available in your area, and what deals they're offering.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
I agree with camoscato - Carphone Warehouse are a mobile phone provider, not a TV/broadband provider.

You want to be trying companies/services like:
- Virgin Media
- Sky
- Now TV
- BT
- Talk Talk

If you go onto the Carphone Warehouse website, all they do is compare the different TV/Broadband offers you can get through Virgin Media, Talk Talk and Sky, and then direct you to those companies websites.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
So apparently Virgin are rewiring our street, so that is way it is not available right now but was in the house before.  They weren't sure when it would be available.  We did look on uswitch also but my husband wanted to speak to someone in person.  In one location we went into last month the sales person seemed to be very knowledgeable.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »
Also when we type the house address in Virgin its says it's not in the area however the owner said he used Virgin and there are Virgin boxes in the house.  We are totally confused.

Sam knows
https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/

• Liked: 674
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
I checked several companies online in advance, as it was so easy to do online.

We went with Sky - no problems at all, no "credit" required. Once I signed up (using my credit card) and then switched to direct debit (everything seems to want you to pay direct debit over here) there have been no issues at all.

I was also told by a few places I couldn't get a cell phone without having been here for several months ("no credit") so I have a pay-as-you-go from EE; but, when speaking with them last week, was told I was eligible for a sim-only plan (not pay-as-you-go) that was only slightly more expensive than the PAYG plan, but since we rarely use the phone I didn't see a reason to sign up for it. SO, the "no credit" thing doesn't seem to be a hard-and-fast rule for cell phones, either.

You might want to talk to the companies directly, not a salesman in a third-party storefront.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:16:19 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab