Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NI Number  (Read 1128 times)

• Liked: 5
NI Number
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:19:41 PM »
I have to have an NI Number to file taxes in the UK,  I call NI phone in England when I told them I live in N Ireland they gave me a number in Belfast to call,  I called to make an appointment,  after answering a few questions I was told that I needed a letter from whom ever is requiring me to pay taxes in the UK before I can apply for a number. (I am retired and not looking for employment) I was told number was only for people with a job or looking for a job. I called HMRC and was told they did not give letters like this,  I called tax department and was told the same thing,  I emailed UK Gov help and was told they did not have access to details from HMRC, got on phone again to NI N Ireland was told the same thing again about getting a number, I guess if I lied and said I was looking for work I could get a number but my age would give me away on that one soooo any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Liked: 537
Re: NI Number
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:26:12 PM »
I have to have an NI Number to file taxes in the UK,  I call NI phone in England when I told them I live in N Ireland they gave me a number in Belfast to call,  I called to make an appointment,  after answering a few questions I was told that I needed a letter from whom ever is requiring me to pay taxes in the UK before I can apply for a number. (I am retired and not looking for employment) I was told number was only for people with a job or looking for a job. I called HMRC and was told they did not give letters like this,  I called tax department and was told the same thing,  I emailed UK Gov help and was told they did not have access to details from HMRC, got on phone again to NI N Ireland was told the same thing again about getting a number, I guess if I lied and said I was looking for work I could get a number but my age would give me away on that one soooo any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just say you're looking for work. If you ever did decide to take a very part time job you would need it. It isn't a lie if you look at a few job listings. Haha

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Not sure if this applies to you or not, but I'm just looking up NI numbers and it mentions that if you're filing a self-assessment tax return and need a number for that purpose, you will be issued with a UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) instead of an NI number (from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance_number#Use_for_tax_purposes).

The UTR will be automatically assigned to you when you first register for self-assessment tax returns. See: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-not-self-employed

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
I should of stated that the tax dept counselor did give me a UTR,  can I file taxes with just a UTR?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »

I mentioned in your other thread to say that you want one to open an ISA, did you try that?

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »
I appreciate the other suggestions,  just want the GREAT SYSTEM  ;D to work.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »
I should of stated that the tax dept counselor did give me a UTR,  can I file taxes with just a UTR?

You could file a paper return but I suspect not an online one. Paper deadline is October 31st.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »
To update my NINO,  I called N Ireland one more time so I could write down the story I was told the last 3 times I called,  I was given another NI Office number to call and I told them I was retired, not planning on any employment and  needed number to pay taxes, well I have an appointment and list of docs to bring for a NINO,  things go good when you talk to someone who knows the regulations or laws or what ever you want to call them.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:03:55 PM »
To update my NINO,  I called N Ireland one more time so I could write down the story I was told the last 3 times I called,  I was given another NI Office number to call and I told them I was retired, not planning on any employment and  needed number to pay taxes, well I have an appointment and list of docs to bring for a NINO,  things go good when you talk to someone who knows the regulations or laws or what ever you want to call them.

Progress at last, well done.

Our son called them yesterday and has an appointment on the 10th, with his documents to, hopefully be issued a NINO.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab