Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Skype and alternatives  (Read 4473 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Skype and alternatives
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »
I don't... I used to just use Hola Unblocker plugin in my browser, but they went a bit dodgy, and I think Netflix were on to them and blocked all their known IPs.  Maybe I should stop being cheap and invest in a paid one.  I almost did it when Handmaid's Tale came out and I learned that Hulu weren't showing it over here.  But then I randomly found it on Channel 4, so I didn't need it anymore.  If another show like that comes along, maybe I'll spend the money.

Yeah we used Hola but it stopped working effectively. Most VPNs have stopped working with Netflix but I can confirm that Nord still works  ;D  I have no idea how much it costs specifically because my husband was the one that got fed up one day with Hola and just signed up for Nord, but I know it was something like £5 a month or maybe even slightly less as there might've been a deal on (I can't remember now). I've had no problems with them thus far :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
Yeah we used Hola but it stopped working effectively. Most VPNs have stopped working with Netflix but I can confirm that Nord still works  ;D  I have no idea how much it costs specifically because my husband was the one that got fed up one day with Hola and just signed up for Nord, but I know it was something like £5 a month or maybe even slightly less as there might've been a deal on (I can't remember now). I've had no problems with them thus far :)

If another show comes along that I need to see, I will look into Nord.  I don't really have much television viewing needs that Netflix, Amazon Prime, Chanel 4 on demand, and Youtube can't satisfy.  (I miss BBC iPlayer, though... I wish they hadn't changed the rules on that, even if I do think it was the right decision for the BBC.)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
If another show comes along that I need to see, I will look into Nord.  I don't really have much television viewing needs that Netflix, Amazon Prime, Chanel 4 on demand, and Youtube can't satisfy.  (I miss BBC iPlayer, though... I wish they hadn't changed the rules on that, even if I do think it was the right decision for the BBC.)

Oh, definitely in the same boat but we like to turn the VPN on when we try to procure things we can't find on those apps because they are US shows (which I won't get into for probably obvious reasons lol  ::) ) or when we want to watch shows like Catfish that are on US channel websites but that's not as often.

I would also be lying if I said I stopped using BBC iPlayer....I'm definitely taking a risk, but I don't watch it that often. I just find a show I need to see and then marathon it as quickly as I can (I legitimately watched 3 episodes of Doctor Foster yesterday LOL)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
Oh, definitely in the same boat but we like to turn the VPN on when we try to procure things we can't find on those apps because they are US shows (which I won't get into for probably obvious reasons lol  ::) ) or when we want to watch shows like Catfish that are on US channel websites but that's not as often.

I would also be lying if I said I stopped using BBC iPlayer....I'm definitely taking a risk, but I don't watch it that often. I just find a show I need to see and then marathon it as quickly as I can (I legitimately watched 3 episodes of Doctor Foster yesterday LOL)

I will not discuss what our laptop does on New Years Eve while my husband and I are innocently nomming various "continental meats" and cheese and sipping port, but I will say "Hootenanny!"  (Maybe we should get some friends...  ::) )  Other than that, we have legitimately cut off all BBC iPlayer.  It is hard!  BBC have a lot of good shows!  But we already pay for two streaming services (okay, we pay for one streaming service and we pay for Amazon Prime and get streaming as part of the deal).  We just can't justify another when we can get by without it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
I will not discuss what our laptop does on New Years Eve while my husband and I are innocently nomming various "continental meats" and cheese and sipping port, but I will say "Hootenanny!"  (Maybe we should get some friends...  ::) )  Other than that, we have legitimately cut off all BBC iPlayer.  It is hard!  BBC have a lot of good shows!  But we already pay for two streaming services (okay, we pay for one streaming service and we pay for Amazon Prime and get streaming as part of the deal).  We just can't justify another when we can get by without it.

I would say that I wouldn't even know about the good shows on iPlayer that I should be watching if it weren't for people in the office!! They will be like "You NEED to watch such-and-such show! It's SOOOO good" and they all proceed to talk about it and how good it is! lol
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 253
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to check that out! Does it only work for online streaming sites or can you watch like US cable TV shows?

It works for online streaming services. So my mom has Hulu, and she'll stream Hulu. I have Netflix UK and will stream for her. I mostly use it for her Hulu cause I haven't figured a good VPN for Hulu yet...

I haven't seen any capability for cable, but it might be there. I just never use cable.

2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
It works for online streaming services. So my mom has Hulu, and she'll stream Hulu. I have Netflix UK and will stream for her. I mostly use it for her Hulu cause I haven't figured a good VPN for Hulu yet...

I haven't seen any capability for cable, but it might be there. I just never use cable.

Can't recommend NORD vpn services enough! It costs money but isn't that much and it's very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 10:47:03 PM »
Can't recommend NORD vpn services enough! It costs money but isn't that much and it's very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I download NORD onto an Xbox or PS? I ask because we literally only use those to stream to the TV. >.>
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »

Can I download NORD onto an Xbox or PS? I ask because we literally only use those to stream to the TV. >.>

EEEEEK I'm not sure as I've not tried (we hooked our PC up to the TV ages ago so we do our internationall streaming from there. Haven't tried streaming from any of our consoles in ages. Will find out for you tonight and let you know!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
EEEEEK I'm not sure as I've not tried (we hooked our PC up to the TV ages ago so we do our internationall streaming from there. Haven't tried streaming from any of our consoles in ages. Will find out for you tonight and let you know!

Cheers, we're the exact opposite. We've had consoles hooked up for ages and RARELY use the laptop. I think we only brought it out for Bake Off.

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
Cheers, we're the exact opposite. We've had consoles hooked up for ages and RARELY use the laptop. I think we only brought it out for Bake Off.

If we didn't have a desktop, we wouldn't even bother but because it's literally right next to our TV in the lounge, it was an easy hookup. When I had a chance to google, it does look like you can use it with consoles (at least Playstation). I can't share the link as I can't open it at work for some reason (but just google nord vpn on console - it'll be close to the top and their website).
My, how time flies....

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
If we didn't have a desktop, we wouldn't even bother but because it's literally right next to our TV in the lounge, it was an easy hookup. When I had a chance to google, it does look like you can use it with consoles (at least Playstation). I can't share the link as I can't open it at work for some reason (but just google nord vpn on console - it'll be close to the top and their website).

I think we'll upgrade to a desktop when we actually have the room for it XD

And good cause I hate X-Box so Playstation would have been preferable anyway.

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
I think we'll upgrade to a desktop when we actually have the room for it XD

And good cause I hate X-Box so Playstation would have been preferable anyway.

You might be able to do both haha, I literally just quickly looked and saw Playstation :)
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab