Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BBC: British-born man told to leave country in Home Office blunder  (Read 882 times)

• Liked: 1327
I learned from this article that they really are cracking down on reporting unauthorized people, because this was triggered when he passed his driving test.

But, also, yet another example of Home Office chaos... lack of information, mistaken facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-41101051
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 674
Re: BBC: British-born man told to leave country in Home Office blunder
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
Didn't I hear a week or two ago that someone at the HO accidentally sent several hundred "get out of the country in xyz days" letters to EU citizens that had to be recalled, as they were sent in error?  The HO is really understaffed, apparently.

I'd have had a breakdown if I'd gotten one of those.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
Didn't I hear a week or two ago that someone at the HO accidentally sent several hundred "get out of the country in xyz days" letters to EU citizens that had to be recalled, as they were sent in error?  The HO is really understaffed, apparently.

I'd have had a breakdown if I'd gotten one of those.

Oh, you're right! I did read about that, but had forgotten it.  Maybe this guy's letter was part of that batch.  The article says he got it on the 17th, so the timing seems about right.

I'm so close to ILR I can almost taste it.  If I got that letter it would wreck me.  I get sad just thinking about it.  All the money we've spent, all the sacrifices we've made... the stupid situation we've endured for the past year (with another 9 months of stupid situation to go!).... I can't even think of it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
Didn't I hear a week or two ago that someone at the HO accidentally sent several hundred "get out of the country in xyz days" letters to EU citizens that had to be recalled, as they were sent in error? 

Was it an error? ;)

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Oh, you're right! I did read about that, but had forgotten it.  Maybe this guy's letter was part of that batch.  The article says he got it on the 17th, so the timing seems about right.

Those "error" letters were sent to those in the UK using EU laws and European Court of Justice Rulings and this man was trying to get a British passport using UK immigration laws. UK immigration laws and the EEA Regulations, are nothing to do with each other and are not interchangeable.

According to the press, this story was because he thought he was a British citizen and over a year ago, he applied for a passport with his UK birth certtificate which he said named his British father. His father was not married to his mother at the time of his birth and he was refused a British passport as he wasn't born British via his father and until he registered? (ksand will know) he wouldn't be British.

He applied for an Australian passport, which he got. He had a prior arrangement that he would be allowed back in the UK after his holiday to sort out his British citizenship.

He applied for Right of Abode in the UK and was told he couldn't have that as he wasn't British and was again told that he needed to register? first before he could become British via his father.

It then seems he did nothing about this and a year later got this letter.

He is born British, but via his Australian/British mother and not via his British father. She was born in Australia to a British parent, making her British by Decent. She can't pass on citizenship to her son unless he was born in the UK, which he was. Therefore he is British born via his mother.

UKVI only looked at the claim to citizenship through his father and not through his mother.

Unlike the US, being born in the UK does not make that person a citizen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:07:57 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »

Sponsored Links