Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Grr! Comparative costs of immigration.  (Read 4007 times)

• Liked: 1327
Grr! Comparative costs of immigration.
« on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
I posted a link to the Guardian article about 800% profits for some visas on Facebook, and my UKC father-in-law just tried to tell me that 1. in Canada the costs are similar, and 2. if you call or email with a query, they will pull your application and then return it to the back of the queue, so you have to wait even longer.  In short, he completely dismissed firsthand account of what it is like here and tried to tell me it's even worse in Canada.

After trying to research it and being convinced I was missing something because the whole thing seemed so cheap, and their website so straightforward, I tagged my USC friend who just got Canadian citizenship earlier this summer and asked her if the costs were similar.  She said, "No I remember you talking about this before and I thought it was crazy. It's like $1000 for permanent residency and around $700 for citizenship. Used to be $1500 for perm res and they lowered it. (Canadian dollars)."

The published fees are CAD$1040 for permanent residence.  After 6 years in-country, you are eligible for citizenship, and costs CAD$630.   Total cost?  CAD$1670.

You guys all know what it costs for us.  *sigh*

Edited to add:  I'm mostly ranting about my FIL who has watched us struggling to meet the demands of Home Office for the last five years, and still voted Tory in the last election, and now says this!  It's like he doesn't even see how he's hurting his son.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:05:00 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Grr! Comparative costs of immigration.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Ugh, I feel you!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
That's really annoying. When all you want is a little empathy or even just a space to vent, being told not to complain is the last thing you want to hear.

Can you make your FB posts not visible to your FIL?

I totally know how you feel. Whenever I reached a new stage in the immigration game, I'd be super excited and would tell my in-laws about it if they asked how I was. They did not show much interest and they didn't understand why it was such a big deal when I got FLR, then my UK driving licence, then ILR and finally citizenship. It was huge for me and DH understood that, but his family didn't seem to care at all.

It sucks, but I just stopped talking about it to them. Better to share the good news with people who do care and save myself the stress of feeling ignored.

I hope it gets better or you find a way to deal with him. In-laws can be tough.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »

You guys all know what it costs for us.  *sigh*

Edited to add:  I'm mostly ranting about my FIL who has watched us struggling to meet the demands of Home Office for the last five years, and still voted Tory in the last election, and now says this!  It's like he doesn't even see how he's hurting his son.

That's horrid, the struggle needs to be recognized!

Mostly everyone we meet is of the school of thought that my husband must be a UKC because he is married to me, no?
I find it gratifying to see their reaction when I explain it's not like that at all.

I am sorry he's not being supportive.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
That's horrid, the struggle needs to be recognized!

Mostly everyone we meet is of the school of thought that my husband must be a UKC because he is married to me, no?
I find it gratifying to see their reaction when I explain it's not like that at all.

I am sorry he's not being supportive.

Hah!  I take pleasure in educating people about the realities, too!  I was at a dinner party where the people seated around me were all fascinated by my accent and the fact I was dual citizen, blah blah.  I quickly explained that I was still at least three years and (I thought) £3000 away from UK citizenship.  They suddenly were paying much closer attention.  So I told them of the three visas I'd already received ("fiancee", and two FLR (M)s), and what was still left to do, and how much paperwork and money was involved... And that this was straight fees, no legal help or anything.  I even mentioned the almost-80 page applications.

I think they went away with a bit more compassion for immigrants.  Or they went away vowing never to sit near an immigrant again!  One of the two.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:01:02 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
I find it interesting when people start talking about immigrants around me (negatively) and they look at me and say, "We're not talking about you."

And I don't understand why they think all of the immigrants are coming here and living for free collecting all of the benefits. Where are they getting that information?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
And I don't understand why they think all of the immigrants are coming here and living for free collecting all of the benefits. Where are they getting that information?

From the Daily Mail.

My in-laws (who are otherwise wonderful people) read it, so I see it from time to time. It's constantly filled with stories about immigrant families with 17 children being given 12 bedroom houses in London for free.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:45:03 PM by camoscato »

• Liked: 13
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »

Whenever I have to explain the process of everything (spouse visa, 5-year track), people ask why I'm making it "harder than it needs to be." I tell them "that's just how it is," and they say, "No, you just really need to apply for citizenship. Just do that." Believe me, if I could, I would (and I'm sure plenty of people here would, too!).

• Liked: 387
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
Yep, I can't tell you how many people are so misinformed about the realities of immigrating to the UK.  So many people think my UK citizenship is just something that happened once I married my other half.  Hah!  I wish.  Whenever I read comments online, or hear people call into radio programmes, it takes a lot of self control to not want to comment or ring in myself to try and set them all straight.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
Yep, I can't tell you how many people are so misinformed about the realities of immigrating to the UK.  So many people think my UK citizenship is just something that happened once I married my other half.  Hah!  I wish.  Whenever I read comments online, or hear people call into radio programmes, it takes a lot of self control to not want to comment or ring in myself to try and set them all straight.

And how many people say "surely your child can have the 30 hours childcare" or "you shouldn't have to pay a levy for the NHS, you work".   ::)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
I just love telling people what my experience has been... especially the EU I.mihtants who seem to think it was just as easy for me to come over as it was for them.

Not by a long shot.

That and explaining how utterly shitty the US healthcare systems to Brits who seem to think it might be better.

$100 appointments just to see your GP.
expensive prescriptions. My one round of antibiotics was $50. A morning after pill about the same.

$30k for the birth of a baby. My nephew Josh was more expensive as he was in the NICU being born a month early.

Going to the ER will cost thousands.

Such fun.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
That and explaining how utterly shitty the US healthcare systems to Brits who seem to think it might be better.

Yes, this too.

I had a plan in the US that was considered to be one of the better ones that provided coverage on the more comprehensive side, and one night in the ER for treatment and subsequent observation still ended up costing me about $12k due to the lovely ways these companies find reasons to refuse claims.   >:(

• Liked: 768
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
I just love telling people what my experience has been... especially the EU I.mihtants who seem to think it was just as easy for me to come over as it was for them.

Not by a long shot.

$100 appointments just to see your GP.
expensive prescriptions. My one round of antibiotics was $50. A morning after pill about the same.

$30k for the birth of a baby. My nephew Josh was more expensive as he was in the NICU being born a month early.

Going to the ER will cost thousands.

Such fun.
My sister had a medical emergency. She passed out and her husband called an ambulance. She stayed in the hospital over night. Her first bill came in... $25,000. She is uninsured because Mississippi doesn't receive subsidies for ACA and her premium was going to be  $900 a month. Her husband only makes $20,000 a year and supports a family of 4.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
and still voted Tory in the last election,

Your husband isn't infected is he? That Tory stuff can be passed down.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »

Not by a long shot.

Same!! On both accounts!

I am glad, also, that I'm not the only one who has had way too many people assume I'm automatically a UKC just because I'm married to a Brit! Explaining all the different visas you have to get is definitely fun/exciting! (not)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab