Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What stuff is better to buy than move  (Read 3031 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: What stuff is better to buy than move
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
hahah to be totally fair though, I think you probably need to spend a bit more for quality when you have kids as you want something tough-wearing etc. It's just the two of us in our house (minus the dog), so we are okay to just get by with something cheaper to do the job. But we did just go plain black leather. I saw some cool designed fabric ones but I thought stop thinking how a redecoration might make things difficult! hhahha

We also did leather.  Crayons, pens, markers, play doh, paint, etc., are all outside toys at my house!  Grey reclining.  Nothing too special.  Just paid for a name basically.

We have a weird red leather sofa in the Arsenal Playroom.  It was a floor clearance.  It's super comfy and the color grows on you!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »
Crayons, pens, markers, play doh, paint, etc., are all outside toys at my house! 

That's actually sounds like a fantastic rule!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 57
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Crayons, pens, markers, play doh, paint, etc., are all outside toys at my house! 

I don't even allow play doh at my house...that's for grandma's. Hahaha
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
This is what I tell my friends who have, or are planning to have, kids:

If I like you, I will never give your kids toys that make electronic noise (and non-electronic noise is iffy... depends on the toy), Play-doh, markers/crayons/etc., or otherwise messy things without your express approval.  I will always check with you if I'm not sure how you'd feel about something coming into your house.

If I do not like you, your kid could end up getting a screen-printing kit or a pottery wheel (I have actually given both of these things to my niece).

Friends (and family) have learned how I really feel about them around their kids' birthdays and Christmas.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »

If I like you, I will never give your kids toys that make electronic noise (and non-electronic noise is iffy... depends on the toy), Play-doh, markers/crayons/etc., or otherwise messy things without your express approval.  I will always check with you if I'm not sure how you'd feel about something coming into your house.

If I do not like you, your kid could end up getting a screen-printing kit or a pottery wheel (I have actually given both of these things to my niece).

Friends (and family) have learned how I really feel about them around their kids' birthdays and Christmas.  ;)

SIL, BIL and everyone else in DH's family seems to get neice and nephew noisy toys (also completely age INappropriate if you ask me). SIL deliberately leaves them at FIL's house (even if she bought them!) since he watches the kids one day each during the week. We live with FIL and I'm pretty sure all the noisy toys are here.  ::)

SIL also leaves toys here that we get the kids, so it really seems like she doesn't like them (or us, but I'm not bothered by that), even if the toys are quiet and cuddly. Other toys get brought home, but whatevs.

Actually, she did bring home the cuddly toy we brought first born.... Then when second born came, she had first born give that exact cuddly toy to second born as a 'gift to the new baby'.  :-\\\\ I'm pretty sure the tags were still on, too... which makes it definitely NOT cuddly. ::) She's training regifters and she's not even hiding it!

Don't get me started on the Christmas gift we've given her, still in their original packaging years later at FIL's house (along with loads of stuff she's bought herself which is stored in the room we're sleeping in even though she's got a house of her own) and probably well out of date. We stick to cards now. A bit lame, but I'm not going to stress about a gift if she doesn't want it.

Phew.... that felt good to get out.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
SIL, BIL and everyone else in DH's family seems to get neice and nephew noisy toys (also completely age INappropriate if you ask me). SIL deliberately leaves them at FIL's house (even if she bought them!) since he watches the kids one day each during the week. We live with FIL and I'm pretty sure all the noisy toys are here.  ::)

SIL also leaves toys here that we get the kids, so it really seems like she doesn't like them (or us, but I'm not bothered by that), even if the toys are quiet and cuddly. Other toys get brought home, but whatevs.

Actually, she did bring home the cuddly toy we brought first born.... Then when second born came, she had first born give that exact cuddly toy to second born as a 'gift to the new baby'.  :-\\\\ I'm pretty sure the tags were still on, too... which makes it definitely NOT cuddly. ::) She's training regifters and she's not even hiding it!

Don't get me started on the Christmas gift we've given her, still in their original packaging years later at FIL's house (along with loads of stuff she's bought herself which is stored in the room we're sleeping in even though she's got a house of her own) and probably well out of date. We stick to cards now. A bit lame, but I'm not going to stress about a gift if she doesn't want it.

My jaw has dropped and I can't lift it back up!!!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »

Wow... it's like she's trying to send a message.  That is some rudeness.  Do you get along with them, otherwise?  Is she hostile, or just thoughtless?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »

hahah in fairness, I love getting people I do like noisy toys for their kids because that's my devilish side coming out and it makes me laugh (to their faces, not maliciously behind their back haha). One my sisters will give the other's kid a noisy toy to which it gets paid back in full (if not twice over).
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »

I could maybe get first born giving second born the teddy depending on the age gap etc. as it might be meant as a nice gesture of "this is mine and I slept with it and now it's your turn to sleep with it.....but tags still on and everything??!!

But her behaviour really screams "Please stop buying me stuff!". I'd save your money going forward! ;)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 116
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
We have bought a number of things at Argos, furniture wise.  It's pretty good value and we don't have a car, so paying a few pounds and choosing a specific delivery slot is really convenient (and they have always come right on time).

I second whoever said to bring jeans above.  In my experience British clothes shopping is a nightmare. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
I second whoever said to bring jeans above.  In my experience British clothes shopping is a nightmare.

I'm British and until recently, I had always been able to find jeans in the UK. However, I need to wear bootcut jeans because straight/skinny look terrible on me, but it appears that proper bootcut jeans aren't being sold in UK stores these days.. even their so-called 'bootcut' ranges are not wide enough at the bottom to be classed as bootcut.

However, when I was on holiday in the US last week, I found some great bootcut jeans in Target which fit perfectly and aren't too slim at the bottom... and they were only $30 a pair compared with £45 ($60) a pair for my normal jeans in the UK :).

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Honestly, it's so hard to find good jeans...I managed to try a pair on from Bershka when I was at Westfields last year. They're the only jeans thus far that I have genuinely enjoyed putting on my body and bought a pair to start with! They are veryyy reasonably priced and I would've bought more had I not been poor when I went in as well as the fact that I wanted to see what happens with a bit of wear and tear. I've been back to buy another pair since and will continue to get my jeans from there! They are skinny jeans but they have a nice stretch in the waist!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
I'm still wearing my maternity jeans....  I can't give up the stretchy waist.  LOL!

Kid was 5 months yesterday.  I have GOT to make a move to lose this weight. 

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
I'm still wearing my maternity jeans....  I can't give up the stretchy waist.  LOL!

Kid was 5 months yesterday.  I have GOT to make a move to lose this weight.

Haha I've not even had kids and I prefer a stretchier waist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
Can confirm I have kids and currently wearing stretchy waist.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab