Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What stuff is better to buy than move  (Read 3056 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: What stuff is better to buy than move
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
Exciting!  Sounds like you've made some wise choices.

I use grand all the time and people know what I'm saying...  never really thought about it!   ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  This was very useful.  I'm bringing a lot of sentimental items, plus things that will make the place seem homier.  Definitely going to pack an extra sheet set, since I'm bringing my bed.  (I have an amazing mattress that i doubt i could replace for less than a grand (do they use that term for pounds?)  I'm not bringing much in the way of kitchen appliances, because honestly, they aren't that special.  Thanks to the warning about clothing costs, I packed a lot more clothes than I was thinking I would.  Also, I'm bringing a fair number of lamps because of the advice about selection.  Plus, I have really nice lamps that would probably be expensive to bring.

The movers were here today, and the shipping container arrives tomorrow for loading.  ToR is almost ready to go, just waiting for the shipping list from the movers, and then, I'm off... about a week after my stuff leaves.

Think it's fine to say a grand (definitely used it myself and I believe I've heard others use it too. Nobody has corrected me) or one "k" (as in £1k).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 111
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
I don't even allow play doh at my house...that's for grandma's. Hahaha

I'm a Grandma to three little kids. Don't bring that Play-doh bulls**t to Grandma's house either!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
I'm a Grandma to three little kids. Don't bring that Play-doh bulls**t to Grandma's house either!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like you more every day!

What’s going on with Harvey?  How are people feeling?  Does anyone feel overshadowed by Irma?  There’s no news any more.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »
I thought about you when I read this article:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/23/everything-gone-americans-flooded-homes-hurricane-harvey-irma?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It’s interviews and pictures of Houston residents, all of them standing knee deep in their flooded houses and almost all of them saying that global warming isn’t a real problem .  I’m not sure I would have believed it if I hadn’t read it myself.

Is this the feeling you get from your neighbors?  What do you think?  I’m asking because I value your opinion, so even if you disagree I’m not going to give you a rant in return so don’t worry.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
Believe it. It's Texas we are talking about here. "A Whole 'Nuther Country".... 8)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
SIL, BIL and everyone else in DH's family seems to get neice and nephew noisy toys (also completely age INappropriate if you ask me). SIL deliberately leaves them at FIL's house (even if she bought them!) since he watches the kids one day each during the week. We live with FIL and I'm pretty sure all the noisy toys are here.  ::)

SIL also leaves toys here that we get the kids, so it really seems like she doesn't like them (or us, but I'm not bothered by that), even if the toys are quiet and cuddly. Other toys get brought home, but whatevs.

Actually, she did bring home the cuddly toy we brought first born.... Then when second born came, she had first born give that exact cuddly toy to second born as a 'gift to the new baby'.  :-\\\\ I'm pretty sure the tags were still on, too... which makes it definitely NOT cuddly. ::) She's training regifters and she's not even hiding it!

Don't get me started on the Christmas gift we've given her, still in their original packaging years later at FIL's house (along with loads of stuff she's bought herself which is stored in the room we're sleeping in even though she's got a house of her own) and probably well out of date. We stick to cards now. A bit lame, but I'm not going to stress about a gift if she doesn't want it.

Phew.... that felt good to get out.

Wow... it's like she's trying to send a message.  That is some rudeness.  Do you get along with them, otherwise?  Is she hostile, or just thoughtless?

We tolerate. I wouldn't say we get along.

If I were judging just by her interactions with me, I'd say she's friendly, but isn't a friend.

Since DH shares his interactions with her (like texts to him where she was 7 months pregnant and said we were stressing her out and risking the life of her unborn child, more texts saying that we didn't love her kids and basically that we were horrible people) and apparently she told FIL that he didn't love her kids enough (which is probably why uses his days off to babysit them... even though SIL had one of those days off, too...).

She can seem friendly, but she can be quite aggressive. When FIL was in hospital last year, she drove grand-FIL, DH and me to the hospital. On the way, she told DH (not in English, so I couldn't understand) that I shouldn't go into the room to see FIL and should wait outside. We were going to visit him because they didn't know if he'd make it! DH texted me in the car so I knew, but I was still went to the room to visit him because if I don't feel a part of this family, I don't have any family nearby (besides DH). Since then, we've tried to steer clear of her but since FIL watches the kids, she's usually over a day or two a week and we live with FIL and I work from home. I keep to myself and try to minimise my time downstairs when she's over, but it's still painful.

Basically, I don't really get on with her or worry about getting on with her. I'm not going to be rude to her, but I'm not going to stress about anything.

We just got back from holiday (thus the late reply to this post) and when DH was looking for toys for the kids and asking my opinion (I've worked a lot with kids), I told him I don't want to bother with it. Yes, we get the nephew on my side more stuff (postcards and toys in packages for their whole family) so maybe I've got a favourite nephew, but my family actually seem to appreciate the stuff we do for them and reciprocates. I can't say as much for DH's family.

This all extends to the rest of their family, too, to some degree. I've told DH that I'm not going to stress about anything. I'll wish the best for everyone, but if FIL (who just had major surgery) is drinking, getting fast food for dinner or doing something when we think he shouldn't, I'm not going to step in. We've tried that many times before, stressed over it and he hasn't changed so I've stopped intervening or trying to help anyone without being asked.

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but seriously, they're just a bit messed up. :-\\\\ I imagine if/when we move away, no one from his family will come to visit... which I'm not bothered by in the least. They'll be welcome to visit, but if they don't, I won't mind.

Thanks for listening. Working from home and not having much of a support group here in the UK makes this outlet awesome for realising I'm not the bad guy (although I know SIL's probably seeing a perspective where we might actually be the bad guys).
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 223
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
I could maybe get first born giving second born the teddy depending on the age gap etc. as it might be meant as a nice gesture of "this is mine and I slept with it and now it's your turn to sleep with it.....but tags still on and everything??!!

But her behaviour really screams "Please stop buying me stuff!". I'd save your money going forward! ;)

Yup. It's tough - if we get them something, they don't appreciate it. If we don't get them anything, we're the bad auntie and uncle.

We just got back from holiday and didn't get them anything, so we're probably on the bad list. ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »

Thanks for listening. Working from home and not having much of a support group here in the UK makes this outlet awesome for realising I'm not the bad guy (although I know SIL's probably seeing a perspective where we might actually be the bad guys).

You are absolutely NOT the bad guy! Vent away! It sounds like a definite situation where getting it all out is necessary and will help tons!

Yup. It's tough - if we get them something, they don't appreciate it. If we don't get them anything, we're the bad auntie and uncle.

We just got back from holiday and didn't get them anything, so we're probably on the bad list. ::)

You just have to hope that - at some point - when they're older, you can build your own relationship with them and they will know you aren't however they've grown up and been nurtured to view you both as.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 676
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:52 AM »
Since when do kids automatically "deserve" a gift????

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab