Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tell me about Yorkshire  (Read 7332 times)

• Liked: 4
Tell me about Yorkshire
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:02:18 AM »
Hello. I am looking at a job in Yorkshire. I have visited and it is a lovely area, but what is it like to live there? How is the weather? I am really worried about the weather. The weather in SW England is no problem for me, but I don't know about up north! Looking to finding out more before committing more firmly to a move. Thanks.

• Liked: 3597
Tell me about Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
Good luck with the job :).

I don't know much about Yorkshire but I grew up in SW England and now live in Lincolnshire (south of Yorkshire). The weather up here, while a little cooler than the SW (usually only by a couple of degrees though), it's often drier.

Most of the UK's weather comes from the west or southwest which means SW England gets the brunt of the wet, dreary weather when frontal depressions come through... but going further north and east, much of the rain is often taken out by the Pennines and so the weather ends up being better/drier up here than in the SW.

However, when we get northerlies, the East Coast/Yorkshire/Lincolnshire areas tend to get showers which filter down the North Sea, and in winter this means snow showers... which you don't get so many of in the SW. Having said that though, I haven't seen more than a few centimetres of lying snow here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:23:42 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 35
Re: Tell me about Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
Most of the weather comes from the west, and that means rain tends to get dumped on the west side of the Pennines, i.e. Manchester.

There is a variety of landscapes to enjoy. We have moors, dales, wolds and valleys/plains.

The Yorkshire coast has sandy beaches and cliffs, with a range of birds that nest in the cliffs each spring.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
... and don't forget about the beer.

Some of the best cask ales in the world are made in Yorkshire, and served in proper Yorkshire pubs.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
I've not lived in Yorkshire but I live in the south as well and have gone to visit my FIL on multiple occasions who was living in Whitby. It's definitely cooler up there and the only proper snow that I've seen since moving here that actually stuck to the ground was going through the Moors (seen snow up there on multiple occasions). The scenery is beautiful but specifics as to how it might compare to where you are now might depend where in Yorkshire you're going?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 170
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
The scenery is beautiful but specifics as to how it might compare to where you are now might depend where in Yorkshire you're going?

Yorkshire is the biggest county in England. I live here!! I live near Leeds and work in Wakefield. I studied in Sheffield and used to live in York. My husband is from Huddersfield...

Closer to the pennines can get quite a bit of snow, but it's all relative. I absolutely love the seasons... Autumn is my favourite!!

Where are you from/ what are you used to?? I'm from Southern California originally, and I cope fine!!

2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
You probably need to mention the area/town you are looking at moving. There is a fair amount of variety in Yorkshire. Once you let us know the town.....people here can give you a better idea of what to expect. There are areas that are hillier/flatter, windier, somewhat wetter/drier.......and the coast as well. I have lived in the south as well as currently here in Harrogate. Weather definitely a bit better in the south.....although it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
Fred

• Liked: 68
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
You probably need to mention the area/town you are looking at moving. There is a fair amount of variety in Yorkshire. Once you let us know the town.....people here can give you a better idea of what to expect. There are areas that are hillier/flatter, windier, somewhat wetter/drier.......and the coast as well. I have lived in the south as well as currently here in Harrogate. Weather definitely a bit better in the south.....although it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

This! Yorkshire is so vast. If I could pick anywhere to live in the UK I would pick somewhere in Yorkshire. I am so in love with the place from the Dales to the seaside. It's simply gorgeous. The city of York itself is one of my favorite places to spend a few days in. You'll have more job opportunities obviously near the cities, but there are some lovely places to live around there too.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 01:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far. It is near Harrogate/between Leeds and York. Is it easier to make friends there? Housing looks more expensive. Otherwise it is more affordable, right? Heat?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:51:24 AM by rubydamselfly »

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far. It is near Harrogate/between Leeds and York. Is it easier to make friends there? Housing looks more expensive. Otherwise it is more affordable, right? Heat?

It's a wonderful part of the world! I wish I could afford to live that way! Look around Tadcaster area, it's a wee bit less expensive, but the A64 can be an absolute nightmare. More affordable? Depends where you're coming from! Depends on lifestyle etc... The cost of living in the UK is high. Wages are low. I don't know how a lot of people do it...

The weather where I am (between Leeds and York but towards the south side) is pleasant. It does get cold in winter but that's what central heating is for! Snow here rarely settles. Closer to Harrogate I think does get colder weather (a bit more snow more often) as you're closer to the Dales?

The seasons are so pretty you soon forget about the weather. Plus, it's what British people talk about the most!

Making friends: people are very friendly but it's difficult to make true friends as a comer inner. I've made most of my friends through work. So depends what you're going to do!

Again people are very friendly on a more day-to-day/ superficial level, but true friendships are hard to make. People can get a bit standoffish if you try to be too friendly too quickly. Get involved... it's hard to make new friends as an adult!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 09:47:10 PM »
Harrogate is considered a great place to live. Fairly expensive. Harrogate traffic is a pain, but since I'm retired I can usually avoid the worst of it. My wife's daughter lives near us but is a nurse in Leeds.....during rush hour it can take 1.5hrs to make the trip (less than 20 miles). There are plenty of places in the York/Harrogate/Leeds triangle that would be nice to live...I like hilly places, so York wouldn't work for me. We had some snow back in the winter of 2009/10+ 2010/11.....it was enough to sit on the ground for several weeks.....roads only bad for a short time. Just depends on what your view of what "cold, winter weather" is. For me......the weather is pretty well never cold here in Yorkshire, but I came from where -10 to -20C is pretty normal (but it's a dry cold!!). 

As far as making friends.....my wife and I are both hermits....which is why I play golf, it gets me out and sociable a little bit. There are plenty of other groups/clubs I could join if I wanted. Pretty normal I would think.
Fred

• Liked: 722
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »
My wife and I met at university in Bradford and fell in love with Yorkshire. (She is from Manchester and I'm from County Durham). We then started work in Leicester which was fine but we knew we wanted to move back and did so within 2 years. 8 years and 2 kids later we moved to the USA where we lived for 28 years. The year after we retired we moved back to the same town for a 7 month trial and fell in love with Yorkshire all over again. We spent the next 4 years doing some extensive traveling before moving back for good in 2016.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 01:21:51 AM »
Thank you all! Yes, we experienced some bad traffic between Harrogate and York. I too am from northern US so grew up with cold and snow, but no longer find such coldness enjoyable. It doesn't sound like it is that cold though.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
Thank you all! Yes, we experienced some bad traffic between Harrogate and York. I too am from northern US so grew up with cold and snow, but no longer find such coldness enjoyable. It doesn't sound like it is that cold though.

Cold? No. I think I needed to scrape my windscreen three times last winter? But again, other parts of Yorkshire may have needed that more! I know there was over a foot of snow at my inlaws (right next to the Pennines) but I don't remember having more than flurries here. I don't walk or drive in ice very well (Southern California girl) and there's never TOO much bother for me here!

Rain and wind, yes, but bitter cold? Not often and not for long.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »
This! Yorkshire is so vast. If I could pick anywhere to live in the UK I would pick somewhere in Yorkshire. I am so in love with the place from the Dales to the seaside. It's simply gorgeous. The city of York itself is one of my favorite places to spend a few days in. You'll have more job opportunities obviously near the cities, but there are some lovely places to live around there too.

I can confirm that when we did our first year anniversary UK road trip, husband and I absolutely LOVED our stop-over in York! We did the viking museum and walking around the centre itself was really cool. We happened to show up at the tail end of a regatta that was happening and everybody was dressed up and places were packed so it was nice to see such an active nightlife in a place that looked so old (when I say old, I mean the buildings look so historic and beautiful!)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links