Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tell me about Yorkshire  (Read 7321 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Tell me about Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
But at times......things get a little bit like this around here......

But whatever you do.....avoid Yorkshire airways for your flights around Northern England......
Fred

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
I will be moving to Yorkshire soon (hopefully. .. as I am still waiting the decision on my spouse visa).
We have bought a house in a village near Huddersfield. .. the scenes are beautiful ... quiet (maybe too quiet) and doesn't stop raining (not sure I can actually cope with that ...I am a summer person and winter depresses me)
Good luck with your move ... as far as I remember Harrogate is a very nice area ... but be mentally and emotionally prepared for the rain  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »

We have bought a house in a village near Huddersfield. ..

Lots of great pubs in Huddersfield!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
I will be moving to Yorkshire soon (hopefully. .. as I am still waiting the decision on my spouse visa).
We have bought a house in a village near Huddersfield. .. the scenes are beautiful ... quiet (maybe too quiet) and doesn't stop raining (not sure I can actually cope with that ...I am a summer person and winter depresses me)
Good luck with your move ... as far as I remember Harrogate is a very nice area ... but be mentally and emotionally prepared for the rain  :)

I am kind of wondering about the rain. Does it rain that much more than it does in the SW? I think the weather is my biggest worry. I am having a really hard time with my concerns about the weather. I actually live in NC right now but lived in Devon before. I would really like to return to England. My husband does not want to go to Devon since he had a very hard time finding a job there in social work so wants to try a new area, which leads us to Yorkshire, which I love except my concerns for the weather. Here in NC the weather is pretty nice. I didn't mind the weather in Devon at all.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:57:52 PM by rubydamselfly »

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 12:54:11 AM »
This doesn't sound so bad:
660 mm
Situated on the eastern side of the Pennines, Leeds is among the driest cities in the United Kingdom, with an annual rainfall of 660 mm (25.98 in). Though extreme weather in Leeds is relatively rare, thunderstorms, blizzards, gale-force winds and even tornadoes have struck the city.
Leeds - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds

Seattle gets 38 inches and where I am at gets 44 inches. When it rains here, it rains pretty hard.

• Liked: 3595
Tell me about Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
I am kind of wondering about the rain. Does it rain that much more than it does in the SW? I think the weather is my biggest worry. I am having a really hard time with my concerns about the weather. I actually live in NC right now but lived in Devon before. I would really like to return to England. My husband does not want to go to Devon since he had a very hard time finding a job there in social work so wants to try a new area, which leads us to Yorkshire, which I love except my concerns for the weather. Here in NC the weather is pretty nice. I didn't mind the weather in Devon at all.

As I mentioned above, the southwest gets the brunt of the westerly weather systems while the north gets much less rain.

I used to live in Exeter and even coming down from Bristol, my parents would complain that it always rained in Exeter.

Exeter gets an average of 785 mm of rain per year, compared with 626 mm at Linton-on-Ouse (near York). That's 30 inches per year compared with 24 inches.

Disclaimer: I am a meteorologist and my Yorkshire colleagues at Linton are the ones who actually collect and record the climate data (the total daily rainfall is measured both by hand and electronically every morning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:31:34 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »
When we moved back to Harrogate 2.5yrs ago (wife is from Harrogate) we VERY seriously looked at the area to the South and South-West of Huddersfield. My wife had a son living in Huddersfield at the time. We even drove down and looked at a few houses. The area is gorgeous. AND....very close to the Peak District, which if you like to walk/bike etc is a big bonus. The weather is what it is.....the weather is 2-3 degrees cooler than in the South....pretty well all the time. It's windier....this is the part of living in the North that bothers me a bit. Unless you live in a higher elevation, you are not likely to see much of any snow though (I'd like to see MORE snow). You can find plenty of weather information online about weather averages etc in any area.
Fred

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
As I mentioned above, the southwest gets the brunt of the westerly weather systems while the north gets much less rain.

I used to live in Exeter and even coming down from Bristol, my parents would complain that it always rained in Exeter.

Exeter gets an average of 785 mm of rain per year, compared with 626 mm at Linton-on-Ouse (near York). That's 30 inches per year compared with 24 inches.

Disclaimer: I am a meteorologist and my Yorkshire colleagues at Linton are the ones who actually collect and record the climate data (the total daily rainfall is measured both by hand and electronically every morning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you F4mandolin and ksand24. I just keep getting confused because different people keep saying it rains a lot or more than other parts of the UK. I believe you now!!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
Thank you F4mandolin and ksand24. I just keep getting confused because different people keep saying it rains a lot or more than other parts of the UK. I believe you now!!!!
Depends on what your definition of "rains a lot" is. If you don't like rain....it rains a lot.
Fred

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Depends on what your definition of "rains a lot" is. If you don't like rain....it rains a lot.

Yeah, and also it's probably that there's this perception people have that it rains a lot in Yorkshire, rather than people actually knowing the statistics. You know, like people in the US thinking it always rains in the UK... when actually, on average, New York City gets twice as much rain per year as London does (50 inches vs. 24 inches respectively). 

Or when people think it's always foggy in London, when in fact, Heathrow has only reported 21 days of fog in the last 12 months. I actually had one American guy who was sitting next to me on a plane from Houston to Heathrow ask me if it would be foggy when we landed. Me, being a weather forecaster, looked at my watch (it was almost midday and it was September) and said 'I doubt it... but if there was any fog this morning, it will have lifted by now because the temperature has risen' :P.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
Yeah, and also it's probably that there's this perception people have that it rains a lot in Yorkshire, rather than people actually knowing the statistics. You know, like people in the US thinking it always rains in the UK... when actually, on average, New York City gets twice as much rain per year as London does (50 inches vs. 24 inches respectively). 

Yep.....I grew up with 35 inches or so of rain in W Washington state. I spent 5 years in Okinawa.....about 80 inches a year. Where I grew up SEEMED wetter........
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »

Or when people think it's always foggy in London, when in fact, Heathrow has only reported 21 days of fog in the last 12 months. I actually had one American guy who was sitting next to me on a plane from Houston to Heathrow ask me if it would be foggy when we landed. Me, being a weather forecaster, looked at my watch (it was almost midday and it was September) and said 'I doubt it... but if there was any fog this morning, it will have lifted by now because the temperature has risen' :P.

hahah it is funny how people in the US seem to instinctively just assume it's going to be rainy for the majority of their visit to the UK. I have to remind my family that it doesn't AlWAYS rain! There was one point where I had a nicer tan than my sister back in the US did from just sitting out in the back garden!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 718
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
hahah it is funny how people in the US seem to instinctively just assume it's going to be rainy for the majority of their visit to the UK. I have to remind my family that it doesn't AlWAYS rain! There was one point where I had a nicer tan than my sister back in the US did from just sitting out in the back garden!

And when the dry day lands on a weekend we have a picnic  :D

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
Thank you all!

• Liked: 15
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »
You have to learn the Yorkshire Haka

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab