Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tell me about Yorkshire  (Read 7289 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Tell me about Yorkshire
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 02:05:20 AM »
Hi! I lived in Yorkshire for about three years and am currently looking at moving back to Leeds! I was born & raised in Texas so getting used to the weather was a bit of a process but it's all relative to what you're used to. Its not the cold that got to me anyways, it was the winter grey!

The Ilkley/Otley area is really nice but as previous posters have mentioned the traffic can be pretty bad. Avoid Keighley, Bradford, and Dewsbury. We are looking to live in the Tadcaster area. Wetherby would be ideal but unlikely.

In regards to making friends, I never really had much luck so I got a dog :)

• Liked: 149
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
Hi! I lived in Yorkshire for about three years and am currently looking at moving back to Leeds! I was born & raised in Texas so getting used to the weather was a bit of a process but it's all relative to what you're used to. Its not the cold that got to me anyways, it was the winter grey!

The Ilkley/Otley area is really nice but as previous posters have mentioned the traffic can be pretty bad. Avoid Keighley, Bradford, and Dewsbury. We are looking to live in the Tadcaster area. Wetherby would be ideal but unlikely.

In regards to making friends, I never really had much luck so I got a dog :)
Why is Wetherby unlikely? Tadcaster is probably cheaper though. Depending on travel times, Otley would be my choice of these places. During busy car traffic times I believe Otley really bogs down. I wouldn't want to drive through Wetherby either during the busy times. A guy I play golf with will be the Wetherby mayor next year.
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 09:31:15 AM »
You have to learn the Yorkshire Haka

That was f***ing incredible...hahaha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Why is Wetherby unlikely? Tadcaster is probably cheaper though. Depending on travel times, Otley would be my choice of these places. During busy car traffic times I believe Otley really bogs down. I wouldn't want to drive through Wetherby either during the busy times. A guy I play golf with will be the Wetherby mayor next year.

We're looking for a property with at least a couple of acres so i'm not sure we've got the budget for Wetherby! Luckily, my husbands office will be a couple blocks from Leeds main station so he'll most likely be commuting by train. We previously lived over Halifax way but spent most of our time in the Dales, Harrogate, & York.

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Well.....guess I will wonder about a couple of points. Train line into Leeds includes Harrogate....but lack of those couple of acres is an issue.....not happening in Harrogate. What is wrong with Keithley? Great countryside....yeah, they have a reputation....not sure it's deserved.  Not sure of the train time.....but Skipton is nice. Some people like Garforth.....and it would be a quick commute. Flat as hell out there though (countryside speaking). My wife's daughter looked at a place out there before she bought a tiny tiny quad house here in Harrogate near us......you get plenty for your money near Garforth (Kippax)....NOT in Harrogate.
Fred

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Well.....guess I will wonder about a couple of points. Train line into Leeds includes Harrogate....but lack of those couple of acres is an issue.....not happening in Harrogate. What is wrong with Keithley? Great countryside....yeah, they have a reputation....not sure it's deserved.  Not sure of the train time.....but Skipton is nice. Some people like Garforth.....and it would be a quick commute. Flat as hell out there though (countryside speaking). My wife's daughter looked at a place out there before she bought a tiny tiny quad house here in Harrogate near us......you get plenty for your money near Garforth (Kippax)....NOT in Harrogate.

Harrogate? Lord no. Wouldn't dream of trying to afford acreage over there! I feel like Keithley deserves it's reputation,  I had a couple interesting run ins estate sale hopping over there. YIKES!

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »
Harrogate? Lord no. Wouldn't dream of trying to afford acreage over there! I feel like Keithley deserves it's reputation,  I had a couple interesting run ins estate sale hopping over there. YIKES!
Estate sale hopping? If you find the perfect place to live....let everyone know. I'll move there as well.
Fred

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
Estate sale hopping? If you find the perfect place to live....let everyone know. I'll move there as well.

Estate sale *shopping, we collect antiques. Sorry you’ve become so defensive about Keithley but that place is foul and I would want to know. Also- I already know where I want to live, just trying to help out a fellow expat.

Anyways, if the OP has any other questions I’m more than happy to try and help! Yorkshire is a beautiful place with (mostly) amazing people! Best of luck  :D

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
Estate sale *shopping, we collect antiques. Sorry you’ve become so defensive about Keithley but that place is foul and I would want to know.
Sorry if it came across too defensive, apologies if I've offended you. If you've been to Keighley (not Keithley) a couple of times....That's probably a couple of times more than me so you have more first hand knowledge than I do. I can't remember if I've ever done more than drive by the place. You just made it sound that since you had met a couple of people there that you didn't like.....that it was a horrible place. From what I've seen driving in the area a few times....it's pretty. Property the last time I looked a couple of years ago was decently priced if that is a priority for someone.
Fred

• Liked: 12
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »
Yeah, Harrogate can be pretty pricey.  Nice place though.

As for weather, while the rest of the UK was complaining about snow conditions recently, Leeds endured only a few flakes here and there.  Been cold and can be icy underfoot.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »
Yeah, Harrogate can be pretty pricey.  Nice place though.

As for weather, while the rest of the UK was complaining about snow conditions recently, Leeds endured only a few flakes here and there.  Been cold and can be icy underfoot.

Yep.....I'm a bit both ways on Harrogate. Although....it's not a place I would have moved if my wife wasn't from here. Luckily we found a small 3 bedroom detached house when we moved back right next to some good walking/Nidd Gorge.....it's the only area in Harrogate I would want to live. Bit pricey like you said. Leeds is WAY too big for me. When I first moved to this area back in 2004 I lived in this place (the cottage middle left in picture) for 3 years or so......best place I've ever lived. https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&amp;rls=en&amp;dcr=0&amp;biw=1280&amp;bih=621&amp;tbm=isch&amp;sa=1&amp;ei=JIMzWrnwO9K1sAftvpOgCA&amp;q=bewerley+uk&amp;oq=bewerley+uk&amp;gs_l=psy-ab.3...17620.18095.0.18586.3.3.0.0.0.0.80.232.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.80...0j0i67k1j0i30k1.0.8SbpjxIFc8w#imgrc=nxLnexYuAiltbM:
Fred

• Liked: 4
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 12:53:31 AM »
Oh, I like this discussion of all the little villages! Any areas of York that people recommend?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 03:38:12 AM »
Yep.....I'm a bit both ways on Harrogate. Although....it's not a place I would have moved if my wife wasn't from here. Luckily we found a small 3 bedroom detached house when we moved back right next to some good walking/Nidd Gorge.....it's the only area in Harrogate I would want to live. Bit pricey like you said. Leeds is WAY too big for me. When I first moved to this area back in 2004 I lived in this place (the cottage middle left in picture) for 3 years or so......best place I've ever lived. https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&amp;rls=en&amp;dcr=0&amp;biw=1280&amp;bih=621&amp;tbm=isch&amp;sa=1&amp;ei=JIMzWrnwO9K1sAftvpOgCA&amp;q=bewerley+uk&amp;oq=bewerley+uk&amp;gs_l=psy-ab.3...17620.18095.0.18586.3.3.0.0.0.0.80.232.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.80...0j0i67k1j0i30k1.0.8SbpjxIFc8w#imgrc=nxLnexYuAiltbM:

Wow! Amazing location, lucky you! I'd love to see that same view in the snow! :D

• Liked: 170
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Oh, I like this discussion of all the little villages! Any areas of York that people recommend?

I'm partial to Bishopthorpe!! Escrick and Riccall are nice too (more for your money in Riccall). Or in York proper?? I like Bishy Road.... live there for two years. Just about affordable rent and still walking distance to the city centre. I have quite a few friends who live more towards Bootham, but they own - so that might be the difference!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

The York Tap on the station.  ;)

Sponsored Links