Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coffee talk  (Read 3452 times)

• Liked: 33
Coffee talk
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »
British husband has a Nespresso machine but I prefer my Keurig. I don't like espresso and prefer the flavored coffees, such as hazelnut, that are prevalent here in the US. The Nespresso flavors still taste too strong for me. If I can't ship my Keurig and/or it is an expensive PIA to get the K-cups, do the British grocery stores sell hazelnut and other flavored coffees?  Husband primarily drinks tea (as do I when I'm over there), so he hasn't clocked this. It is on his Tesco to do list, but so far he has forgotten. Sob.

• Liked: 1327
Re: Coffee talk
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
British husband has a Nespresso machine but I prefer my Keurig. I don't like espresso and prefer the flavored coffees, such as hazelnut, that are prevalent here in the US. The Nespresso flavors still taste too strong for me. If I can't ship my Keurig and/or it is an expensive PIA to get the K-cups, do the British grocery stores sell hazelnut and other flavored coffees?  Husband primarily drinks tea (as do I when I'm over there), so he hasn't clocked this. It is on his Tesco to do list, but so far he has forgotten. Sob.

I have just looked at Tesco Groceries (online shopping is amazing here!).  As for pods, they have Tassimo and Nespresso ones.  Amazon.co.uk don't have much in the way of Keurig K-cups, and they appear to be pricey, so I'm thinking they're shipped from America rather than sold here.   Oh, but I found this site:  https://www.hydr8coffee.biz/shop  I have no idea how those prices compare.  Hopefully, this gets you started.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
Yes, lots of flavored coffees are available here. Plus flavored coffee syrups in regular and sugar free.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »
Oh, good... someone who knows has answered.

I just let my husband make my coffee.  I like it Europe-strong (in fact, I didn't like coffee for most of my life because the aroma was always enticing, but the watery flavour would disappoint me).  Also, thanks to a recent impulse Disaronno purchase, I have discovered that it's really nice with a healthy shot of amaretto and a dollop of Carte d'Or vanilla ice cream in it.  Fun, too, because it's stimulating and relaxing at the same time.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »
My daughter is a barista and her boss sent her over with my favorite Jamaican coffee for my iced coffee. I haven't made any yet. I know once I do that will be it. I'll drink it until it is gone. I have no self control once I tap into something.

I buy my flavored syrups at TK Maxx.

• Liked: 33
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Suspect I will be primarily drinking tea as we do when I am there.  But I do like to have a good cup of bust *ss in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 15
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »
If you like Jamaican coffee - try these mail order

https://www.jamaicacoffeetrading.co.uk/

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
If you like Jamaican coffee - try these mail order

https://www.jamaicacoffeetrading.co.uk/
For that price, I can afford to fly my daughter here with more from her boss. Lol

• Liked: 583
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »
I am not a fan of Starbucks coffee, but have a big love for Pumpkin Spice, and they're the only ones who do it... so here I sit, indulging in my first PSL of the season!  :)

• Liked: 669
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
Will have to let the Daughter know it's PSL time of year here. She loves those. ;D

Personally, I have a very old stove-top percolator. I grind my beans, put them in the top, fill the bottom of the pot with water, pop it on the stove and come back in a bit to really good coffee. Plus, it makes the house smell nice!

I have some mocha flavored decaf that I got at the Vinhaus in Solvang, California, on our last annual Christmas visit there. (It's like going into a snow-globe, nothing ever changes in that place - all done up at Xmas, with Santa toodling up and down the main street on a Harley with twinkling lights all over it, blaring "Jingle Bells", after dark; decorated tree in front of every shop, carolers, etc. - don't know what we're going to do this year, we've done that every year for so long....)   :-[

Anyway, I expect I'll spend an armannaleg and have them ship some more beans over.  There's a chocolate shop in the same town that does sugar-free, and does it very well, and ships overseas, too....

Tea. Tea is good. Twinings Everyday is a nice strong cup. Wrote to the company, as I was curious how it stood up to English Breakfast tea, and they wrote back with the composition of each and said the Everyday is stronger. Which is good, as I rather like it.  I'm drinking pretty much enough tea every day to float a battleship.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:25:03 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
I am not a fan of Starbucks coffee, but have a big love for Pumpkin Spice, and they're the only ones who do it... so here I sit, indulging in my first PSL of the season!  :)

WHAT'S TAKEN YOU SO LONG?!  ;D I was counting it down since gingerbread flavour left after the winter season! lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 583
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
WHAT'S TAKEN YOU SO LONG?!  ;D I was counting it down since gingerbread flavour left after the winter season! lol

LOL!  We don't have a Starbucks in my little town.  We have a Costa, and they do gingerbread flavour all year round, including sugar-free gingerbread flavour, so I normally go there.  Prefer Caffe Nero, though, but it's 20 miles to the nearest one.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
LOL!  We don't have a Starbucks in my little town.  We have a Costa, and they do gingerbread flavour all year round, including sugar-free gingerbread flavour, so I normally go there.  Prefer Caffe Nero, though, but it's 20 miles to the nearest one.

hahaha that is fair, I will accept this.

We have Costa in my village, but I'm not a fan. I think it's because I don't think the flavour-syrups are strong enough unless you have a lot put in but then I don't want all the sugar. I'm definitely a Starbucks person but I think that's because ever since high school, my best friend worked at Starbucks so she'd sort me out with free coffee and then it kind of grew on me (I HATED it at first and always went with dunks because it was cheaper but eventually the dunks quality went down and I developed a taste for Starbucks). I think when I moved here, it was juts easier to go to Starbucks because I had a choice of all the coffee shops being in Reading initially, and I knew how to order there and what I was getting and I've just stuck with it ever since. At one point, and I'm not proud to admit this, I had gold status set up for a fair amount of time in future than most people would probably have on average....I went there MANY times a week....I am DEFINITELY a coffee person.

I think it's also that other people don't necessarily get "iced coffee/latte" over here right. Starbucks is the only one I find consistent to what I expect in the US apart from the odd local coffee shop.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
Will have to let the Daughter know it's PSL time of year here. She loves those. ;D

Am I the only one who is completely jealous of Nan’s daughter?  You are so devoted to her I can’t even understand it.  My mom died when I was young and I never had that , so I am in awe at what a caring mom you are.

Tea. Tea is good. Twinings Everyday is a nice strong cup. Wrote to the company, as I was curious how it stood up to English Breakfast tea, and they wrote back with the composition of each and said the Everyday is stronger. Which is good, as I rather like it.  I'm drinking pretty much enough tea every day to float a battleship.
It’s good preparation for your future government job.  If you get it, I’d estimate %20 of your day will be taken up with tea related matters.

• Liked: 669
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mom.  :(  I didn't have much of the way of a mom myself - she had mental issues, quite serious at times, that made my "at home"  time hell.  It was such a relief when I was finally legally able to leave.  ::)

I have been a single mom since the Daughter was 3 months old. I was working/in school/on transit for so much of her life that I missed....  She had a friend that disappeared in the middle of the night, when she was a teenager. Worked for several years in the search for the young woman. Turned out to have been the victim of a serial killer. They found her in a suitcase, buried in the local landfill. Could easily have been the Daughter, instead. It was a relatively small town.

When the Daughter was 25 I almost lost her due to a medical diagnosis that should have happened when she was a baby, but which was missed repeatedly. It took months to get the surgery set up, due to insurance snafus, with them telling us to be careful, one wrong move and she'd drop dead.  I sat in the waiting room of the hospital while the surgery went on much too long - hours longer than they'd told me it should have. It gives one time to think about what is really important. She's fine, now. The picture (more or less) of health.

I'm terribly proud of her, and realize that every single moment I've got with her is precious. One never knows when you'll say goodbye as your kid goes out the door, and then if you'll  never see them again.

Apologies if that sounds overly-dramatic, but it's what it is.  8)

So, it's a good thing I like tea then.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:25:14 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab