Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about getting health insurance in the US after living in the UK  (Read 1387 times)

• Liked: 36
If we live in the UK for say a year and want to move back to the US will we have a problem getting health insurance?  Will the fact that we had NHS and Bupa count as having been covered?  Isn't the rule in the US that you cannot be without health insurance for a period of time like a month or so?  Thanks.

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: Question about getting health insurance in the US after living in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
You won't have a problem.

It used to be that if you didn't have proof of creditable coverage before starting a policy (i.e. a paper showing you were covered consecutively, like what you're thinking) insurance companies could refuse to offer coverage or exclude covering pre-existing conditions.

The ACA did away with that.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »
When I moved back to the US after having been a student here, the only paperwork I needed to get onto my mom's work insurance (I was under 26) was a scan of my visa showing the expiry date.  Different places might need more but being in a place with the NHS counts.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:48:16 AM »
For tax purposes you would need to enroll in insurance coverage or face a penalty for not having it, but I'm not 100% sure what the grace period is. That could also change depending on the future of the ACA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links