Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What Restaurants Do You Miss?  (Read 3025 times)

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Now, for me as a Brit, I miss Nando's like mad. I first had it on a trip back to the UK in 2014. In 2010 when I left, it hadn't really exploded in popularity in the UK and, sitting here writing just got me thinking about how I would dearly love to go for a 'cheeky Nando's' right now but there are none in Texas.  :(

What restaurants do you all miss from the states that you wish were a thing in the UK?

• Liked: 4985
Re: What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
Chick-fil-a
Any mexican with a good margarita
A mom & pop shop with a killer selection of breakfast items
I'd also love a really good steakhouse.  Need to give a different a go around my house.
Publix

I would totally miss Nando's if I moved back.  And Loch Fyne.  And Curry buffets.  And several independent pub/restaurants near us that just plain do good food.  And Gregg's.  And M&S.

I just like to eat and will happily eat in either country!!!

• Tea And A Butty
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
Chick-fil-a
Any mexican with a good margarita
A mom & pop shop with a killer selection of breakfast items
I'd also love a really good steakhouse.  Need to give a different a go around my house.
Publix

I would totally miss Nando's if I moved back.  And Loch Fyne.  And Curry buffets.  And several independent pub/restaurants near us that just plain do good food.  And Gregg's.  And M&S.

I just like to eat and will happily eat in either country!!!

Same! I think if I move back to the UK I'd miss Chick-Fil-A, Wendy's, Kerbey Lane, 79 cent Big Gulps and Free drink refills!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »
Since everybody else is shamelessly listing fast food, I will, too.

Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  The occasional Quizno's (I had a weakness for their "prime rib and peppercorn" with cheese and tomatoes).  Taco Bell.

I missed American steakhouses (Outback), too, but for my birthday meal last week, I requested my husband prepare some fillet steaks for us, and oh my gawd, he achieved.  So now I know I can get that fix, even if it does lack the awesome bread.  But when I have an oven, I will figure out how to replicate the bread... there are plenty of copy-cat recipes online.

Hmm.  I think that's it.  I could only afford junk food because I spent all my money on travel.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Tea And A Butty
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 03:50:23 AM »
Since everybody else is shamelessly listing fast food, I will, too.

Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  Taco Bell.  The occasional Quizno's (I had a weakness for their "prime rib and peppercorn" with cheese and tomatoes).  Taco Bell.

I missed American steakhouses (Outback), too, but for my birthday meal last week, I requested my husband prepare some fillet steaks for us, and oh my gawd, he achieved.  So now I know I can get that fix, even if it does lack the awesome bread.  But when I have an oven, I will figure out how to replicate the bread... there are plenty of copy-cat recipes online.

Hmm.  I think that's it.  I could only afford junk food because I spent all my money on travel.  :P

I hear there's Taco Bell in London but that brings me to another question...

I recently had a friend from here go to the UK and tell me that all the fast food there was horrible and it was much better in the US. Has anyone found this to be true? To me, McDonalds is the same taste everywhere!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 04:32:51 AM »

I recently had a friend from here go to the UK and tell me that all the fast food there was horrible and it was much better in the US. Has anyone found this to be true? To me, McDonalds is the same taste everywhere!
McNuggets taste noticeably different here and not in a good way.

9 of my family members and myself all noticed the taste difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 04:50:29 AM »

Yeah, there are several Taco Bells spread around England.  One opened in Southampton a couple of weeks after my husband and I moved from Salisbury to southwest Wales.  :/

McDonald's tastes different to me.  The sauce on the Big Mac was the first thing I noticed. It was really disappointing the first time I went to a McDonald's over here, expecting an old familiar flavour and not quite getting it.  I'm okay with it now (and we so seldom go to McDonald's, anyway!), but at the time of my first visit, I really needed that taste of home. When I didn't get it, I nearly cried.  (Food disappointment is a special kind of torment for me.  I cry over other peoples' dropped ice cream cones, it's so bad!)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3595
What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
McDonalds do change their menu/ingredients depending on the country.

I don't eat there often, but the McChicken sandwich (which is what I have when I go) is blander in the UK... the batter in the US has pepper in it, but it doesn't in the UK.

I also just had the German equivalent to the 99p Chicken Mayo in Frankfurt airport on Monday... but instead of mayo, it had sweet chilli sauce .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
I really miss Mexican restaurants.

I miss a lot of the local restaurants. Small Italian places and such.

I also could go for Buffalo Wild Wings!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »
Now, for me as a Brit, I miss Nando's like mad. I first had it on a trip back to the UK in 2014. In 2010 when I left, it hadn't really exploded in popularity in the UK and, sitting here writing just got me thinking about how I would dearly love to go for a 'cheeky Nando's' right now but there are none in Texas.  :(

What restaurants do you all miss from the states that you wish were a thing in the UK?

Apparantly there's Nandos back in the US! I don't think there's a lot of locations or anything but somebody I know was talking about going to Nandos on their next trip to some convention and I was shocked as I didn't know there were ANY nandos!

I miss a lot of the local restaurants. Small Italian places and such.

Same! What I REALLLLLY miss are the "roast beef places" (literally never know what to call it so I just call them "roast beef food places") wher you can can like roast beef sandwhiches, subs, chicken finger plates, etc. That's probablllyyyyy what I miss the most (I guess they are probably equivalent of chip shops maybe?).

That and US Taco bell. Yes, the Taco Bell here is delicious....but I do miss the amount of options US Taco Bell has (although they have all the basics and give you THE CHOICE OF MEAT YOU WANT! on each thing) and the fact that they have Baja Blast. Yes, I moan about this every Taco Bell related thread. I will continue to moan until they give the people (me) what they (I) want!! : MY BAJA!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
Any mexican with a good margaritas

Went to Wahaca over the weekend (menu is more limited than I remember since the last time I went a few years ago) and I have to say the Margarita was DELICIOUS. 

Also, Have you tried Blues Smokehouse in Bracknell? They do one or two different margaritas and they are yum! We will have to go sometime!! :) (they also do different flavoured moonshine :p )

While we are on the topic of booze, I do greatly greatly miss the beer selection in the US. If there was ONE thing I could change, I would even forgo the Baja Blast (you heard me right) to ensure that we had all the different beer selections we have in the US over here in the UK. I want to be able to enjoy all my delicious microbrews and even the non-microbrews with the different seasonal flavours (really wishing I had more Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata and some pumpkin beer for fall!)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

I literally feel the exact opposite. Maybe it's because fast food here is slightly better here than in the US and visiting Americans don't like better quality fast food? hehe  ;D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
Went to Wahaca over the weekend (menu is more limited than I remember since the last time I went a few years ago) and I have to say the Margarita was DELICIOUS. 

Also, Have you tried Blues Smokehouse in Bracknell? They do one or two different margaritas and they are yum! We will have to go sometime!! :) (they also do different flavoured moonshine :p )

While we are on the topic of booze, I do greatly greatly miss the beer selection in the US. If there was ONE thing I could change, I would even forgo the Baja Blast (you heard me right) to ensure that we had all the different beer selections we have in the US over here in the UK. I want to be able to enjoy all my delicious microbrews and even the non-microbrews with the different seasonal flavours (really wishing I had more Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata and some pumpkin beer for fall!)

Wahaca has fabulous cocktails.  The mojitos are awesome too.  Their just too small.  A few sips and they are gone.

I've not tried the margaritas at Blues...  go on, twist my arm, I guess I'll try.   ;D

I used to have an independent pizza place right next to me in Colorado.  They made subs fresh with freshly made bread.  Their meatball sub was amazing.  They thinly slice the meatballs so the sauce and cheese and meatball slices get all mixed together.  On super fresh soft bread.  Ugh!!!  What I wouldn't pay for one of those right now!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
I can't say that I want US restaurants to be a thing in the UK , because why create a homogenous world? It's already becoming that way in so many respects (e.g. being able to get anything off amazon, international shipping places, chain restaurants expanding, etc) and it drives me mad. I moved to Scotland, I don't want it to be like the USA!

That doesn't mean I don't miss stuff though.  I would love some really good biscuits and gravy right now. And a Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop would go down a treat.  Cracker Barrel cinnamon apples have been on my mind.  Some Cuban food would be amazing to have. Dairy Queen dipped cone. Some Dippin Donuts coffee.  Greek style pizza -  hamburger or taco pizza please.  Some really good hot and sour soup.  A Philly Cheesesteak.  BBQ food in all ilks.  Things I miss, but doesn't mean I want it near me everyday.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »
Apparantly there's Nandos back in the US! I don't think there's a lot of locations or anything but somebody I know was talking about going to Nandos on their next trip to some convention and I was shocked as I didn't know there were ANY nandos!

I'm fairly certain Chicago has one!

Sponsored Links