Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What Restaurants Do You Miss?  (Read 3019 times)

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
Re: What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
I am surprised at which brands of American things come over here.  I can count on one hand the number of times I went to TGIFriday's in the US, and only the first time (when I didn't know any better) was voluntary.  But it's here.  I prefer Popeye's and/or Church's to KFC. But KFC is the one the UK gets.  Little Caesar's?  Nope... we get Domino's and Pizza Hut.  And now Denny's (which I'm pretty sure is dying out in America), but not Waffle House (which is hugely popular in the US, still!)

I can't tell you how many times I've said, "Wait, that made it over here?  REALLY?!"

The thing with fast food for me is I've known going in that I'm getting junk.  In the US, it's like staying at a Travelodge.  Cheap and cheerful.  Not a high standard, but you know what you're going to get, and you don't have to pay a lot for it.  Over here, the fast food prices are much higher (where's my 99¢ McChicken sandwich?), the food is slightly different (not always a good thing, but not necessarily bad), and the quality is not superior enough to offset that higher cost.  If I paid American prices for the crap food (I'm saying it's crap in both countries, but that's why I want it... It's an indulgence), I'd be fine with the differences.  But seeing how much McDonald's is over here for just my husband and me...?  I can't even justify that.

Having said all that, I also agree that I don't want to see global homogenization.  I miss some things, but I've learned to either live without them or re-create them.  I'd love a trip to Taco Bell, but five-and-a-half years in, I'm coping without it.  (It helps to know that there are Taco Bell options somewhere in the UK, even if I have to travel a bit.)  :)

I totally understand the "THAT made it to the UK?! REALLY??" mentality. Of course, I don't forsee a time when Little Chef or Wimpy make a huge splash in the US. I AM quite surprised at the slow rate Nando's is growing over here since it seems to have exploded in the UK. Guess the US population aren't that big on Peri-Peri Chicken!

One place that seems to unify people though is Five Guys. Their fries are the best of any fast food joint, hands down.

My favorite restaurant - The Outback! I think there is one in the south of England. Oh a what I would do for a bloomin' onion! Chik-fil-A, Wendy's, Americanized Chinese food would do too :-P

Another thing I would miss if I moved back to the UK is Americanized Chinese Food. General Tso's is one of my absolute favourites. I'm always going on about Prawn Crackers to my American family and only my wife has had them and she thought they were disgusting.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
I totally understand the "THAT made it to the UK?! REALLY??" mentality. Of course, I don't forsee a time when Little Chef or Wimpy make a huge splash in the US. I AM quite surprised at the slow rate Nando's is growing over here since it seems to have exploded in the UK. Guess the US population aren't that big on Peri-Peri Chicken!

One place that seems to unify people though is Five Guys. Their fries are the best of any fast food joint, hands down.

Another thing I would miss if I moved back to the UK is Americanized Chinese Food. General Tso's is one of my absolute favourites. I'm always going on about Prawn Crackers to my American family and only my wife has had them and she thought they were disgusting.
Prawn crackers... why are they a thing here? Gross!!

And I do miss General Tso's chicken!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »
Ooh, speaking of Americanized Chinese Food.... egg rolls.  I mean proper pork & cabbage-stuffed peppery awesome, sweet, flaky, greasy, crispy, bubbly, deep-fried eggrolls.  How do I get one?  Seriously.  I've looked up recipes, but I don't have the means (yet!) to fry egg rolls.  (Say it with me now...) When we have a kitchen, we plan to get a countertop deep-fat fryer, and I can replicate the filling.  I just ... that's years from now.

On the bright side, I think I can use the tortilla press to flatten the wrappers.  So, yay!

But, seriously.  Does anybody understand what I'm going through?  I can't even explain it to people here.  They have no concept and keep giving me spring rolls!  That's not the same at all!  :(
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
Ooh, speaking of Americanized Chinese Food.... egg rolls.  I mean proper pork & cabbage-stuffed peppery awesome, sweet, flaky, greasy, crispy, bubbly, deep-fried eggrolls.  How do I get one?  Seriously.  I've looked up recipes, but I don't have the means (yet!) to fry egg rolls.  (Say it with me now...) When we have a kitchen, we plan to get a countertop deep-fat fryer, and I can replicate the filling.  I just ... that's years from now.

On the bright side, I think I can use the tortilla press to flatten the wrappers.  So, yay!

But, seriously.  Does anybody understand what I'm going through?  I can't even explain it to people here.  They have no concept and keep giving me spring rolls!  That's not the same at all!  :(
Yes, spring rolls aren't the same at all!

And look at getting an air fryer instead. The  people in my Vietnamese cooking groups are all switching to air fryers and they love them.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
Ooh, speaking of Americanized Chinese Food.... egg rolls.  I mean proper pork & cabbage-stuffed peppery awesome, sweet, flaky, greasy, crispy, bubbly, deep-fried eggrolls. he How do I get one?  Seriously.  I've looked up recipes, but I don't have the means (yet!) to fry egg rolls.  (Say it with me now...) When we have a kitchen, we plan to get a countertop deep-fat fryer, and I can replicate the filling.  I just ... that's years from now.

I'm having a Pavlovian response to your egg roll description.  ;D

• Liked: 674
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
I would really, REALLY enjoy a single, bendy, fold-able, greasy slice of a proper NY style pepperoni pizza. The Daughter says that does not exist in Glasgow.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 111
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
When I moved back to the US, I only missed two places: Ruman's Takeaway that was in Maiden Place in Lower Earley, Reading and The Millstone in Horwich, Lancashire.

I still dream of Ruman's lamb phall with mushroom pilau rice. He also gave me the opportunity to try his native Bangladeshi dishes because he knew I was open-minded enough to try them. As for the Millstone, they served modern English and northern Italian fare. Sadly, both places no longer exist.

Now that I'm full-on planning to go back to the UK, the only thing I know I will miss is eating at Houston's Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen. It's a chain that specializes in Cajun/New Orleans style seafood. It's cuisine that I have grown to love living in this area and I'd even miss Popeye's Chicken because it's got the same seasoning but in fast food. Y'all can keep your Taco Bell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »
Daughter says that Taco Bell cheese has GMO "stuff" in it so wouldn't eat there when we lived in the States, but she's going to be one of the first in line if that promised Taco B opens in Glasgow.

Ummm, has anyone heard what's doing with that? Should  have been open by now, no?

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
I've had Nando's a couple times. I thought it was good and I'd go there again, but I'm also in no rush to go back. I do like their marinades though and occasionally use them for chicken.

I miss Panera Bread, Wendy's, Olive Garden, Chik fil a, Bob Evans/any kind of restaurant with an extensive breakfast menu, ice cream places with tons of options, Subway, Menchie's (frozen yogurt, like Pinkberry). I read there's a Pinkberry in London but we are very far from there! I've had Subway here a couple times and it just tasted really bland to me.

I feel the same way about Nandos. I don't hate it and it tastes fine, but at the end of the day, it's just chicken.... Unless I'm missing something? lol

Have you tried SNOG? Not sure if there's a location near you, but that's a frozen yogurt place that does toppings and stuff (don't think it's as big of a selection as pinkberry - it seems to be a majority of fruit with only some unhealthy things - but it looks similar in set-up). http://www.ifancyasnog.com/

There might be other frozen yogurt places but SNOG is the only one I can think of that compares to places in the US.

Texas Roadhouse

Almost forgot about Texas Roadhouse!  I've got a "copycat" recipe for their cinnamon butter. Haven't made it yet so can't say if it hits the spot, but it looks dead easy to do. Let's face it, the rolls and butter are what makes Texas Roadhouse so good...

But it's here.  I prefer Popeye's and/or Church's to KFC. But KFC is the one the UK gets. 

.....I do enjoy a cheeky KFC if I'm honest....  ::)

Prawn crackers... why are they a thing here? Gross!!

And I do miss General Tso's chicken!!!

Managed to find a few good "General Gao" (or Tso) similar chicken recipes that are made in a slow cooker. Not identical, but they do the job! Will have to dig them out. As much as I enjoy some menu items here in UK Chinese restaurants, I do miss American Chinese food. I wish I could just mush the best of both worlds together!

Yes, spring rolls aren't the same at all!

And look at getting an air fryer instead. The  people in my Vietnamese cooking groups are all switching to air fryers and they love them.

Cashed out all my "recognition points" from the job I just left and used most of them to get myself an air fryer! Haven't used it yet, but I've heard positive things so we will see :)

Ummm, has anyone heard what's doing with that? Should  have been open by now, no?

If I remember correctly, the one in Woking that opened up recently ended up opening later than they originally predicted so maybe it's just behind schedule? Have a google!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
Daughter says that Taco Bell cheese has GMO "stuff" in it so wouldn't eat there when we lived in the States, but she's going to be one of the first in line if that promised Taco B opens in Glasgow.

Glasgow Taco Bell isn't scheduled to be open until the end of the year.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »
Sometimes I think I should be the one doing the buying for Tesco's (and formerly Ocado's) American Foods section.  The brand choices are probably why some US things will never take off over here.

Also, maybe I should perfect the art of making egg rolls, then open a drive-thru stand.  Like Seattle coffee stands, but serving only pork or veggie eggrolls.  :)

Oh!  Kellogg's Raisin Bran.  I need that.  I don't want Post, and I don't want some UK equivalent.  I want real Kellogg's Raisin Bran.  If my sister comes to visit next year, I'll ask for that.

Now that I'm full-on planning to go back to the UK, the only thing I know I will miss is eating at Houston's Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen. It's a chain that specializes in Cajun/New Orleans style seafood. It's cuisine that I have grown to love living in this area and I'd even miss Popeye's Chicken because it's got the same seasoning but in fast food.

I am really curious to know how my husband would feel about Cajun/Creole food.  On the one hand, he likes peppery and spicy, bold flavours, and he likes veg.  But he does not like seafood, which features prominently.  But it's got so much flavour going on that isn't just "fishy"... he'd probably like it, right?  I mean, he'll eat battered scampi occasionally, and that's without the awesome spices.

Not that it matters.  I'm not about to make it and risk him not liking it, and I don't know of too many restaurants serving the cuisine over here.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:15 AM »
Glasgow Taco Bell isn't scheduled to be open until the end of the year.

Yet they torment me daily with photos on FB.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
What's General Tso's chicken?

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
Yet they torment me daily with photos on FB.
I went to that Mexican tappas restaurant on St. Vincent St. yesterday  (I think that's the street) and it was pretty good.

http://www.topolabamba.com/

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:18:27 AM by nctami72 »

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
What's General Tso's chicken?
Shut eet!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab