Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a mortgage on spouse visa  (Read 4993 times)

• Liked: 56
Getting a mortgage on spouse visa
« on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:09 AM »
I've seen a few posts that aren't encouraging, but they're about 10 years old, so I thought I'd ask again... how do we get a mortgage ASAP when the primary income comes from the US expat in the UK? I'll have a healthy salary, and plenty to put down (proceeds from selling US house), but will I still have to wait to establish UK credit?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Married: 1992
Biometrics + docs sent:        18 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email:   23 Oct 2017
Decision email:                    18 Nov 2017
Landing in UK:                     31 Dec 2017
Passed Life in UK test:       16 Sep 2022
ILR application:                   3 Dec 2022
ILR decision:                        17 Jan 2023

• Liked: 4985
Re: Getting a mortgage on spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
I was able to get a mortgage while still on my visas and before ILR.  I had been in the UK, working continuously for five years.  I know others who have managed to get mortgages earlier.  You'll have fewer lending options and will pay a much higher mortgage rate, unfortunately.

I would talk with a mortgage broker (NOT a bank) and have them only present lenders who will be willing to lend to you and at what rates.  If you are able to put down 40%, you shouldn't have to be working in the UK too long before you'll be able to qualify.

I just received ILR in September and we changed our mortgage product, saving £500 a month!  So while I thought our interest rate was reasonable while on a visa, it's apparent we were paying WAY too much interest.

But yes, you will have no credit when coming to the UK.  Imagine you are 18 all over again.  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
A good friend of mine here bought a house and she said what she and her husband encountered was that, for her income to count, most places wanted her to be here for 2 years and have a 20% or more deposit.  She also had a mortgage broker that wasn't at a bank.  So it is possible.

About establishing credit, when my husband and I were setting up our joint account here, the banker told me that if I have had a bank account here for at least a year that's a good chunk of credit established.  I'm not sure how they measure it, but my student account that I still had going from 2013 apparently counts.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
Thank you for this post - we are wondering the same thing. I'm currently in the UK on a spouse visa with FLR for a couple more years... I can only imagine how difficult it will be to acquire a mortgage when establishing a bank account was difficult enough - I ended up with one of those 'top-up debit cards' and do feel like I'm 18 again! haha ... Does applying for a credit card help build credit? Or will I just be denied for that?

Our additional complication is that I am currently self-employed. So I assume the likelihood of lenders considering my income is slim-to-none... Has anyone gone the route of solely relying on their spouse's income to successfully obtain a mortgage?
Visa type: UK spouse settlement 
Application submitted from: USA
Original online application submitted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Biometrics: Friday, April 7 (1st available appointment)
Confirmation Email: Thursday, April 20
Decision email: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
FLR granted Feb. 26, 2020
ILR applied for May 1, 2022
Decision email received August 23rd
Residence permit received August 25th
Next: dual citizenship

• Liked: 35
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
We got a mortgage while I was self-employed. We used London and Country mortgage brokers to find a lender who could work with us.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
We got a mortgage while I was self-employed. We used London and Country mortgage brokers to find a lender who could work with us.

Thank you for sharing, Groover! I will look up that company. Cheers :)
Visa type: UK spouse settlement 
Application submitted from: USA
Original online application submitted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Biometrics: Friday, April 7 (1st available appointment)
Confirmation Email: Thursday, April 20
Decision email: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
FLR granted Feb. 26, 2020
ILR applied for May 1, 2022
Decision email received August 23rd
Residence permit received August 25th
Next: dual citizenship

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »
I've seen a few posts that aren't encouraging, but they're about 10 years old, so I thought I'd ask again... how do we get a mortgage ASAP when the primary income comes from the US expat in the UK? I'll have a healthy salary, and plenty to put down (proceeds from selling US house), but will I still have to wait to establish UK credit?

You might end up having to pay higher interest rates but finding somebody who will loan to you. I know that I had to be establishing credit for at least 2 years before any decent mortgage company would touch me...That being said, make sure the US-half is establishing as much credit as possible as early on (names on bills, credit cards where possible, etc.). Not sure if it'll be different if you have a decent size down payment from selling a house in the US. I would suggest speaking to a financial adviser over here if you can for advice. I only say that because we used one who was able to help get us on the right track with what we needed and knew the right companies to go to for people in situations like ours.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links