Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DVLA Application - 2 quick questions  (Read 9143 times)

• Liked: 50
DVLA Application - 2 quick questions
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
Hi there
I arrived 8 days ago and picked up my BRP today. Yay!

Last week, I filled in the online application for the provisional driving licence and got the paper "Application Completion Form" in the mail yesterday.

1. It looks like I have to send my precious BRP in the mail to the DVLA to get the provisional driving licence. Can I have full confidence that they can get the BRP (and licence) back to me within a reasonable time period, and not lose it??

2. I may not actually choose to drive in the UK. If that's the case, could I just hold onto this Application Completion Form" which is addressed to me at our Greenwich address, and use it as a piece of official mail for the FLR(M) application in 2.5 years?

Thanks for any advice in this regard!

• Liked: 4985
Re: DVLA Application - 2 quick questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
Yes, you need to send the BRP. It will be fine.

Personally I’d recommend sending it and getting at least a provisional license.  But yes, you can use it for mail.   :)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Hi there
I arrived 8 days ago and picked up my BRP today. Yay!

Congratulations :).

1. It looks like I have to send my precious BRP in the mail to the DVLA to get the provisional driving licence. Can I have full confidence that they can get the BRP (and licence) back to me within a reasonable time period, and not lose it??

Yes, you have to send off the BRP - many people have done it, and it's very rare to have any issue with it (I think just one person here has had problems receiving the licence and BRP back).

You will receive the BRP and the licence back separately, in two different packages, and it shouldn't take more than about 3 weeks.

2. I may not actually choose to drive in the UK. If that's the case, could I just hold onto this Application Completion Form" which is addressed to me at our Greenwich address, and use it as a piece of official mail for the FLR(M) application in 2.5 years?

I would go ahead and just apply for the Provisional Licence anyway, even if you decide not to drive, as it can be used as an official ID... which means you don't have to carry your passport or BRP around with you for ID - you can just keep the licence in your wallet/purse instead, and keep your passport/BRP locked away in a safe place.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
Back in 2012, you could send a prepaid special delivery next day envelope (about £7) for them to return your BRP in a way that was a bit more secure. I'm not sure if that still applies - that was just my experience and these things change a lot. If it is still possible, I'd recommend it.

I applied in person (not possible any more) but they still had to send off the docs. I applied on a Monday, I got my provisional licence back that Saturday and my BRP back three days later.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Thanks all for this excellent advice - as always!
I agree that the licence would be handy as ID.
My research indicates that the in-person application option is no longer offered by the DVLA.
But given your collective advice, I'll take the plunge and post my precious BRP!
Thanks again.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
Yes, it looks like they will let you include a stamped, self-addressed special delivery envelope... I think I will try that.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's what they say:

Get your documents back:
You’ll get your driving licence and identity documents separately.

Include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope if you want your identity documents returned by special delivery.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
Yes, it looks like they will let you include a stamped, self-addressed special delivery envelope... I think I will try that.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's what they say:

Get your documents back:
You’ll get your driving licence and identity documents separately.

Include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope if you want your identity documents returned by special delivery.

Special delivery is safer because it has it's own delivery system and is tracked all the way so is a sensible choice when sending something important like your Passport/BRP.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
Thanks all for this excellent advice - as always!
I agree that the licence would be handy as ID.
My research indicates that the in-person application option is no longer offered by the DVLA.
But given your collective advice, I'll take the plunge and post my precious BRP!
Thanks again.

Exactly. In-person is no longer available, but if the special delivery envelope can still be included, that'll be just as good and well worth it.

The main advantage of the in-person application was you could pay in cash so no hassle with getting a postal order or cheques for the fee. It wasn't really faster and everything still had to be sent off, so don't feel like you're missing out on much. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab