Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: On the hunt for a job  (Read 1896 times)

• Liked: 20
On the hunt for a job
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »
I have recently begun my hunt for the elusive lesser-stripey, short-haired, English job.   :)

So far

- UK CV written and received a free review from a UK hiring manager friend-of-a-friend-of-a friend.
- Right to work without restriction or sponsorship
- UK Skype contact information
- I have a tiny, but verifiable UK work history
- UK professional qualifications have been obtained, and are current
- UK professional body membership is active
- CV distributed to UK contacts who have agreed to sing my praises

And I still get three "We're terribly sorry, but you haven't been selected..." emails in the same day within minutes of each other.  That was a toughie

I'm sorry for throwing all my toys out of my pram, but I guess this process is draining, no matter what side of the pond you are on.  Does anyone know the average time the UK hiring process takes?

• Liked: 253
Re: On the hunt for a job
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
It depends on a lot of variables (what field you're going into, experience, etc), but don't be surprised if it takes months.

Keep your head up and keep trying.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
Things just don't move as quickly here.  I would plan a few months.  A few people will be hiring before the holidays but it may go very quiet until after Christmas.  Just keep plugging along and try not to let it get you down.

• Liked: 261
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
It took Williams nine months from first interview to job offer with my husband’s position. My own process was much quicker, but still took some time to get it all sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Applied online: 22 June, 2017
Biometrics and Docs mailed: 23 June, 2017
Arrived in Sheffield (via UPS): 26 June, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield: 11 July, 2017
"not straightforward" Email: 2 August, 2017
Unsolicited additional documents: 14 August, 2017
Decision made: 25 September, then revoked
Second Decision: 25 October, 2017
Docs returned: 30 October, 2017
Flight to UK: 2 November, 2017

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Thanks all for the reassuring words.  I'll keep chipping away at it and see what happens.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
So, I got a call one of the big multi-national consulting firms in London wanting to talk to me about a position I had applied for.   They actually called me at work and I wasn't able to respond back right away.

So, the HR chap send an email, additionally asking if I'm in the UK already or not.  The chap called my background 'interesting'...  I replied that I was not located in the UK but also stated that I would return his call the following morning GMT giving both my Skype and US mobile numbers. 

So, got up at 3am (EST), dressed, laid out my CV, tested my Skype connection, etc.  At the agreed upon hour, I called the number which rang and then went to answer phone.  I tried again about 30 mins later and this time it went straight to answer phone.

My thought is that the second this HR chap read that I wasn't already UK-based, he binned me and didn't respond when I called him.

Oh well.... Two Six     

• Liked: 98
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
Thanks all for the reassuring words.  I'll keep chipping away at it and see what happens.

Sounds like we're in the same boat! Good luck @BlackAck  :D
FLR(M) #1 (±25 WD)
Applied from: D.C.
Priority: Yes (VFS Gold Premuim)
Applied: 17 Nov 17
Appt at PAC: 29 Nov 17
Decision Email: 5 Jan 18
Passport sent to PAC:  8 Jan 18
Passport rcv'd: 13 Jan 18
Moved to UK: 1 Feb 18
——————————————
FLR(M) #2 (±97 WD)
Applied: 25 Jul 20
IDV: 9 Sep 20
Priority: No (n/a)
Approval: 9 Dec 20
BRP rcv’d: 18 Feb 20
——————————————
ILR
Applied: 11 Jan 23
Priority: Super
Bio Appt: 7 Feb 23
Approval: 7 Feb 23
BRP rcv’d: 10 Feb 23
——————————————
Citizenship
Online App: 24 Feb 24
Bio Appt: 2 Mar 24
Awaiting Decision

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
Do you have any indication on your CV about when you will be moving to the UK or that you don't need sponsorship?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
So, I got a call one of the big multi-national consulting firms in London wanting to talk to me about a position I had applied for.   They actually called me at work and I wasn't able to respond back right away.

So, the HR chap send an email, additionally asking if I'm in the UK already or not.  The chap called my background 'interesting'...  I replied that I was not located in the UK but also stated that I would return his call the following morning GMT giving both my Skype and US mobile numbers. 

So, got up at 3am (EST), dressed, laid out my CV, tested my Skype connection, etc.  At the agreed upon hour, I called the number which rang and then went to answer phone.  I tried again about 30 mins later and this time it went straight to answer phone.

My thought is that the second this HR chap read that I wasn't already UK-based, he binned me and didn't respond when I called him.

Oh well.... Two Six   

He could have had a last minute meeting or he could have gotten sick (lots of cold and flu going around over here). Always good to send a follow up email in that situation, at least if it was something you were interested in. He was interested enough to call you long distance and not just send an email.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »
Hi Blackack,

What kind of job are you ideally wanting?
What sector of industry are you ideally wanting a job in?

There's other variables too, but an idea on the above will help tailor some replies to you here and I'm sure other responses based on the above might help steer you in directions which might prove more fruitful for you during your search.

However, on the flip side, the UK is looking shaky and uncertain in terms of it's future and companies are on hiring freezes as well as letting staff go currently. Your best chance is if you are in an occupation that's on the UK's fast track program and you meet the criteria for them. If you aren't then your chances are significantly reduced as you'll be competing with UK nationals who'll be shortlisted over you for any jobs that do come up.

Good luck regardless though!

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:48:53 AM »
Your best chance is if you are in an occupation that's on the UK's fast track program and you meet the criteria for them. If you aren't then your chances are significantly reduced as you'll be competing with UK nationals who'll be shortlisted over you for any jobs that do come up.

Blackack is a Dual UK/US citizen.  :)

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Since I do want to be in with a fighting chance, my right to work in the UK is the very first thing on my CV and its on my LinkedIn blurb.  Despite this, I still had someone reply to me that they weren't moving forward with an application because they couldn't get sponsorship...  ::)

Still, I have a phone call tomorrow (stupid early AM for me) with a different recruiter, so fingers crossed.  :) 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »

Oh well.... Two Six   

It sounds less like an HR-specific bloke and more like a recruiter. One that just needs to make his quota on applicants to a given role. He probably had enough people he thought would easily qualify that he wasn't too bothered whether or not you called him back as you were probably the bigger risk being outside the UK (unfortunately). Did the guy ever respond to your email regarding you telling him you'd call him by a specific time?? I would maybe follow up with an email saying "Hi so-and-so, I reached out to you at xyz time as mentioned in my previous email but I think I may have missed you. Could you let me know if you'd be free to talk any time during (give availability period)? Many thanks" - or something to that tune so that he knows you're interested still and has the opportunity to clear things up if required.

I've had experience with recruiters like this as has my (English) husband. It's pretty much if you miss their call, that's that and good day - which totally sucks. It does take time and sometimes being in the country can make a bigger difference in getting people to agree to talk to you so don't beat yourself up if it takes a while.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Since I do want to be in with a fighting chance, my right to work in the UK is the very first thing on my CV and its on my LinkedIn blurb.  Despite this, I still had someone reply to me that they weren't moving forward with an application because they couldn't get sponsorship...  ::)

Still, I have a phone call tomorrow (stupid early AM for me) with a different recruiter, so fingers crossed.  :)

If you do end up sending a follow-up email to this guy, might be worth including (as a lot of recruiters seem to be selective readers LOL) that you have a right to work. Spell it out for him/her if that's what it takes. Say "Hopefully my current location isn't an issue as I do not require any sponsorship as I have a right to live/work in UK as I am a citizen." or something like that.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
Doing just that is what landed me the telephone call tomorrow.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab