Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Found a good Mexican Place in Glasgow  (Read 739 times)

• Liked: 674
Found a good Mexican Place in Glasgow
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
We checked on Taco Bell in City Center - not anywhere near ready to open. But lots of signs up. Oddly, photos advertising tacos with FRIES! ::)  Ah, localization. 

Anyway, in our frenzied need for things chipotle-ish, we tried Topolabamba on St. Vincent Street, opposite the Pizza Anarchy place.  It was really, really good! The carne asada street tacos, while made in the style, didn't actually taste like carne asada (a bit bland and with almost no grill char). But they were good. The barbacoa tacos came topped with what is actually true Texas Red - beef chunks that have been stewed in a chili mix until they were shreddy tender. The chicken onion and cheese quesadilla was excellent. (We shared.) Daughter looked like she was in heaven.

They make burritos, chimichangas, huevos rancheros, and most of the things you'd normally find in a Mex place.  It's sort of a combo of Baja Mex and Tex Mex, and I have to say that what we had was as good as I've had anywhere. They have a good beer selection (Corona, etc.) and even have Horchata Ice Cream!  The express lunch gets you a really good meal for about 9pounds.  We got one express meal, an order of street tacos, and a bowl of ice cream (which came with two big scoops - we split it), and got out of there for about 20 pounds.  (No booze, just tap water.) [And opened sinuses.]

It smells great when you walk in the door. The music is what I'd have heard in Old Town, and the service was speedy and attentive. Daughter says next time she's going to get a "naked" barbacoa burrito, which will be like getting a bowl of Texas Red, and a Jarritos (pretty much like a Mexican Coke).  We didn't get any chips and salsa, as we've had too many bad salsas here. But I might give it a chance, next visit!

I hope this place lasts. Apparently they have one in Edinburgh and Aberdeen, too.

• Liked: 768
Re: Found a good Mexican Place in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
It's a great restaurant. It is a Mexican small plate restaurant. Lots of options. I've posted about it in here before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
I've eaten there before when I was down that way for work.  It was tasty, for sure!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
Not been there, but loads of people have recommended it, so we really need to go!

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
Someone told me about this place today:

https://www.tortilla.co.uk/our-food/whats-inside/

'California style' burritos & tacos!?  Can't wait to try it!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
Hmmm, that looks promising. Kind of like a Chipotle. (There is a Cha-poodle in London, by the way. Exactly like C in San Diego and Los Angeles....) They are claiming to serve Monterrey Jack cheese, too. ooooo!

So let us know if you get to try this new place how it is?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:41:08 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »

So let us know if you get to try this new place how it is?

I will!
Never been to a Chipotle before, so won't be able to compare, but i'm very curious...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:50:40 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
Someone told me about this place today:

https://www.tortilla.co.uk/our-food/whats-inside/

'California style' burritos & tacos!?  Can't wait to try it!

The Tortilla in London (same chain) is ok. A lot of people in our office like it (USCs and non-USCs).

I could take it or leave it.

I'm vegetarian, so my experience might be different than yours. They do give free guacamole to the vegetarian dishes and you can order online for pickup (which is awesome for lunch in London).

For a while (like 6 orders in a row), they gave me free tortilla chips. :o Several of us ordered online (separately) but I was the only one who got chips. I'm pretty sure it's because I'd write either a complimentary comment or a funny (well, usually a bit pathetic) joke in the details section that was meant for allergies and other specifications. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
There are Tortilla restaurants all over the place down here. They are pretty good, margaritas are not bad either.  I've got a Chipotle just 4 minutes from my office but never go because 100 yards further is Chilango's, which is proper. 

• Liked: 116
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
My husband loooooves Chipotle.  We have it almost every time we're in London for lunch.  I like it a lot too but I wish we had Illegal Pete's or Qdoba here, something that serves queso in a casual Mexican place like that.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

Sponsored Links