Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The reception desks are delivered and my fingerprint unlocked my phone tonight  (Read 3356 times)

• Liked: 1892
In France, they have Creme Anglais, which is the same as French Sauce here.

• Liked: 4985
The differences in language are so obvious when my mom tries to ask the three year old questions.  My kid just looks at her like she has six heads!

• Liked: 537
I remember the first time a Brit used swop instead of swap in an email.

Totally freaked me out. Which I'm sure my judicious use of swap does the same for them! Haha. They must think I'm dumn (damn dumb).
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
The differences in language are so obvious when my mom tries to ask the three year old questions.  My kid just looks at her like she has six heads!

haha what kind of questions are we talking here?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
haha what kind of questions are we talking here?

"Alice, what's on your britches?"  WTF are britches?!?  No one talks like that

"Did you pass out candy to the trick or treaters?"  My kid says sweeties

"Did you learn that at school?"  My kid thinks school is for big kids, she goes to nursery.

And on and on and on. 

• Liked: 1260
"Alice, what's on your britches?"  WTF are britches?!?  No one talks like that

"Did you pass out candy to the trick or treaters?"  My kid says sweeties

"Did you learn that at school?"  My kid thinks school is for big kids, she goes to nursery.

And on and on and on.

Ahhhh righhhttt. I would understand the confusion with the britches question but I wouldn't even have thought twice about those other questions! interesting!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
When I first moved to Arkansas (a few months before my parents) as a teen, I was staying with my grandmother in her rural farmhouse.  She was saying something about needing "bat trees".  It took me ages to figure out she meant "batteries".  Then there was "horse spittle", which is not the product of a drooling horse, it turns out.  It is where you go when you're sick or injured.

This grandmother also used words like "britches".

I was so glad when my parents finally got there to interpret her for me.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
When I first moved to Arkansas (a few months before my parents) as a teen, I was staying with my grandmother in her rural farmhouse.  She was saying something about needing "bat trees".  It took me ages to figure out she meant "batteries".  Then there was "horse spittle", which is not the product of a drooling horse, it turns out.  It is where you go when you're sick or injured.

This grandmother also used words like "britches".

I was so glad when my parents finally got there to interpret her for me.

My Arkansas-born grandma used to talk about the 'booger-villain' plant in her garden.  It was a bougainvillea.

• Liked: 676
Oh, oh, oh, I've got one, I've got one!  ;)

Chester Drawers. The mother (from Misery, on top of Ark-n-saws,  on top of Lousy-anna on a map) of someone I went to high school with used to call a chest of drawers "Chester Drawers". God's honest truth (using another localism), the daughter thought that was the name of the item of furniture. 

Both of them also used to pronounce lasagna as lah-zag-na and thought chicken spaghetti was "eye-tahl-yun" food.   And there was "katty-wampus" (local for "kitty-corner", aka diagonally across an intersection). If the brain cells would fire properly, I could probably come up with a rather longer list....  ::)

Oh, oh, oh, I've got one, I've got one!  ;)

Chester Drawers. The mother (from Misery, on top of Ark-n-saws,  on top of Lousy-anna on a map) of someone I went to high school with used to call a chest of drawers "Chester Drawers". God's honest truth (using another localism), the daughter thought that was the name of the item of furniture. 

Both of them also used to pronounce lasagna as lah-zag-na and thought chicken spaghetti was "eye-tahl-yun" food.   And there was "katty-wampus" (local for "kitty-corner", aka diagonally across an intersection). If the brain cells would fire properly, I could probably come up with a rather longer list....  ::)

My cousin's husband makes "chilly ruh-LAHN-oes".  He's quite proud of them.  I twitch every time he mentions them.

• Liked: 676
Oh, gosh, that's up there with driving to Jar-ez to buy jal-lap-en-no peppers. (That one was my Yankee relatives.)   8)   ;D

Hey JF kimberley, I hope you find this post!  I was thinking of you because I visited my FIL who is a really great wood worker. Check out this puzzle he built :

You have to turn the rings and line them up until you can pull it apart.

Oooh, that is pretty.  Can you find out what kind of wood he used?  It has a nice texture to it.

I'll try. He likes to use olive and another one called cad that I can't find the translation for.

Are you sure "cad" refers to a type of wood, and not that he's saying he uses CAD to design his projects?  I assume he's French, so it might be a French word for a type of tree, but like you, I can't find a translation.

That puzzle is very nicely finished.  Your FIL is a man who really respects the wood.  Please tell him it's beautiful.  Now I must finally get serious about sourcing some hardwood (other than oak) so I can make pretty things.

Sponsored Links