Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do you want for Christmas?  (Read 4593 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: What do you want for Christmas?
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
I meant SHORTBREAD!!!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »

We hear you but we're not listening.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
What do you want for Christmas?
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »

So high she's already forgotten what she said!
And she's got the munchies, who was talking about shortbread?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:15:05 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 149
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
Hmmmm.....thinking about a new desktop computer. Give the macbook pro to one of my wife's kids......the tablet as well. Then combine a decent desktop with a small laptop for the downstairs. I haven't had a desktop in over 10 years......
Fred

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Hmmmm.....thinking about a new desktop computer. Give the macbook pro to one of my wife's kids......the tablet as well. Then combine a decent desktop with a small laptop for the downstairs. I haven't had a desktop in over 10 years......

I believe I’m one of your wife’s kids.  She just hasn’t told you yet.  ;)

• Liked: 149
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:11 PM »
I believe I’m one of your wife’s kids.  She just hasn’t told you yet.  ;)
Hmmmm......that's going to be an awkward discussion tonight......She swears she only had 4 with the previous pillock husband.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:44:33 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
Really late to this thread but I honestly have no clue what I want for christmas...

Maybe some vinyl records or new board games or even some new baking pans/etc.? There are loads of things I'd be happy with but nothing I really need or specifically want enough to ask for...I mean, I've asked for a new puppy but husband made it clear that it was a hard pass hahaha. Other than that I have pretty much everything I'm wanting.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 111
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »
I've said earlier that I really didn't want or need anything since I'm getting "smaller" due to "downsizing" my life in anticipation for my move to England. But, it's been on my mind and my MIL asked me what she could get for me. So, I've been thinking...

There's a fancy grocery store in town and they do cookery courses. There's a representative from Veuve Clicquot who is doing five champagne tastings and food pairings with the cookery school. I'm down for that. Or...there's an iFly skydiving voucher Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »
There's a fancy grocery store in town and they do cookery courses. There's a representative from Veuve Clicquot who is doing five champagne tastings and food pairings with the cookery school. I'm down for that. Or...there's an iFly skydiving voucher Yes!

Now that sounds fun!!

I asked my husband what I could get for his parents since it'll be our first Xmas together, and he wasn't sure. They aren't the biggest gift givers, and have everything. Are there any like, wine subscriptions in the U.K.? I'm sure they would enjoy that! (It's official - I move in 3 weeks. I still have HMRC tax things to figure out but keeping my job for a couple months will make the transition so much smoother all around. Kinda wish I could keep it permanently because it pays so much more than most U.K. salaries but not really worth the stress. )

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
margo, there are tons of wine subscription services here. That's a great gift :-)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
I've said earlier that I really didn't want or need anything since I'm getting "smaller" due to "downsizing" my life in anticipation for my move to England. But, it's been on my mind and my MIL asked me what she could get for me. So, I've been thinking...

I definitely think vouchers for "experience" days are always a good choice (assuming you know the person well enough that you know what they like, that is hah) and you can't go wrong with them! I could TOTALLY do a cooking glass with champagne tasting without any complaint if your MIL would also like to gift me one :D hahaha ;)

Are there any like, wine subscriptions in the U.K.? I'm sure they would enjoy that! (It's official - I move in 3 weeks.

Yes, there are wine subscriptions here :) I can't name any specifically but give it a google. I know they exist because my BIL gave my husband and I a "wine box" as a gift for Christmas one year. There were some REALLY lovely wines in there (think we still have some that we haven't tried yet as we didn't want to open it unless we had a fancy reason haha). He didn't assemble the box himself or anything, it was a pre-assembled service. They gave us like 3 whites, 3 reds and 3 rose's I think it was? (might've been like 4 whites, 4 reds and 2 rose's but you get the idea..). You could definitely find either one that will give them a new wine a month or you could get what we got which is like a pre-assembled box with a bunch of random wines (I'm sure you could customise if they prefer a particular type/colour).

If you'll definitely be there before Christmas and you want to make it more personal, perhaps you could make them like a wine gift basket yourself or something? If your husband knows what type of wine they like, maybe you could pick out a few bottles (unless they have expensive taste so maybe like 1 or 2 haha) and pair it with a bottle topper, bottle opener, nice pair of wine glasses (or maybe some festive looking ones...IKEA had LOVELY champagne glasses and might've had ones for wine as well) or something like that...Could order it all online to go to your husband's so you don't have to worry about shopping once you get here....but that might be a lot of work (and I have no idea what type of relationship you have with your in-laws) and it might be something that's just too much as you'll already be busy with the move itself and that is always a bit chaotic I think so you totally get a free pass :)

Also, YAY! You're moving here!  ;D

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
His coworker seems to think I would like a spa day or jewelry (J was laughing so hard at her suggestions) and she doesn't believe him that these are things I would genuinely appreciate.

A few years back, DH's co-workers thought the same, too. I'd asked for new kitchen knives and was much happier than I would have been if I'd received jewelry. ::) I got the feeling they thought I'd be disappointed with anything but jewelry (they had never met me).
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 957
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
A few years back, DH's co-workers thought the same, too. I'd asked for new kitchen knives and was much happier than I would have been if I'd received jewelry. ::) I got the feeling they thought I'd be disappointed with anything but jewelry (they had never met me).
You have no idea how happy I would be with new knives!! I'm allergic to scents and metals so I've gotten a lot of useless "girly" gifts over the years. If anything; this thread has proven preconceived notions of what women want are generally inaccurate. (I'm sure some want jewelry and spa days.)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »
I received Amazon shipping notifications for my Christmas and from my kids and ex-husband. My kids sent an ice maker which arrived today and my ex-husband is sending a posh electric blanket!!

My first ice!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
I received Amazon shipping notifications for my Christmas and from my kids and ex-husband. My kids sent an ice maker which arrived today and my ex-husband is sending a posh electric blanket!!

My first ice!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My mom has an icemaker like that back in the US! It's quality :)
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab