Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gandalf the White (Computer) has died?  (Read 9844 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Gandalf the White (Computer) has died?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
This is what I'm looking at....maybe a little overkill....
https://www.johnlewis.com/scan-3xs-gamer-7-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-2tb-hdd-480gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-black/p3128235
Not sure of the monitor to go with it.

I'd say a nice 4k monitor ...  8)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
This is what I'm looking at....maybe a little overkill....
https://www.johnlewis.com/scan-3xs-gamer-7-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-2tb-hdd-480gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-black/p3128235
Not sure of the monitor to go with it.

Nice!  But holy crappola, that's a lot o' money for a box! :o  You must do hardcore gaming?

Daughter has reminded me that if I buy from John Lewis to get a John Lewis account first because there are like perks involved.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Nice!  But holy crappola, that's a lot o' money for a box! :o  You must do hardcore gaming?

Daughter has reminded me that if I buy from John Lewis to get a John Lewis account first because there are like perks involved.
Holy crappola is about right......mostly I'm full of it.

I'm not a big gamer. The last 3 years on my macbook pro.....Apple really sucks with games. I just want a computer I can do first person shooters......maybe drive like a maniac for no other reason than to get faster. Time wasted? Absolutely. But.....I don't want to do anything on the computer for at least 3 years before I upgrade parts.

Unfortunately.....no John Lewis in town. Then I think...come on!!! This is Harrogate....land of the North snobby people.....why don't we have one? But at least I know how to get to the John Lewis in York.....right next to the Golf store..... ;D
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
I know Larrabee did quite a bit of testing and research recently, I don't remember which she ended up settling on.

I went with the MacBook Pro in the end! :) I feel that it was definitely the right choice for me (first Mac) although I have to admit that I still don't love the butterfly keyboard. There is very little travel so it has a bit of a hard feel when you type.

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
I went with the MacBook Pro in the end! :) I feel that it was definitely the right choice for me (first Mac) although I have to admit that I still don't love the butterfly keyboard. There is very little travel so it has a bit of a hard feel when you type.
My laptop died while I was making the original visa application almost 3 years ago. I panicked and just went to Best Buy and bought a Macbook Pro. It has worked perfectly since. But......I don't really know what it is......I don't like it as well. Keyboard isn't quite right.....sometimes I push a key but it doesn't get the signal, not a big fan of the touchpad click.....but it has been rock solid for dependability. I'll probably keep it for a few more years and just get the desktop (not Apple) to play games on. The only other Apple I had was a II-C from about 1988?....that was a great little desktop.
Fred

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »

I need to check the JL account thing...... we occasionally order from them since they have such a good reputation.

Anybody here use a 27" monitor? They seem to be what is recommended for the better desktop/games. I'm just trying to get my head around how big that would be here on my desk. I imagine I would get used to it.
Fred

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »
My laptop died while I was making the original visa application almost 3 years ago. I panicked and just went to Best Buy and bought a Macbook Pro. It has worked perfectly since. But......I don't really know what it is......I don't like it as well. Keyboard isn't quite right.....sometimes I push a key but it doesn't get the signal, not a big fan of the touchpad click.....but it has been rock solid for dependability. I'll probably keep it for a few more years and just get the desktop (not Apple) to play games on. The only other Apple I had was a II-C from about 1988?....that was a great little desktop.

The click of the touchpad is something I can adjust on mine. Have a poke around in system preferences and see if you can do it on yours. You might be able to adjust it so that it feels better.  :)

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »
The click of the touchpad is something I can adjust on mine. Have a poke around in system preferences and see if you can do it on yours. You might be able to adjust it so that it feels better.  :)
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the actual physical click that mine makes when I do something like highlighting a sentence. Loud audible click. The pad depresses and makes the click. I'm not talking about adjusting what you can do with your fingers.....that's fine.
Fred

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the actual physical click that mine makes when I do something like highlighting a sentence. Loud audible click. The pad depresses and makes the click. I'm not talking about adjusting what you can do with your fingers.....that's fine.

We are talking about the same thing, yes!  :)

On mine, I go into system preferences, then into track pad, then into point and click.

Within point and click, there is an option "click". The options are; light, medium or firm. That's what you want to experiment with if you have it. It's next to the adjustment scale for "tracking speed".

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
We are talking about the same thing, yes!  :)

On mine, I go into system preferences, then into track pad, then into point and click.

Within point and click, there is an option "click". The options are; light, medium or firm. That's what you want to experiment with if you have it. It's next to the adjustment scale for "tracking speed".
I don't seem to have this choice....just choices for 1, 2 or 3 fingers and tracking speed. Might be a change was made after I bought this one?
Fred

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
I don't seem to have this choice....just choices for 1, 2 or 3 fingers and tracking speed. Might be a change was made after I bought this one?

Ah. Sounds like it might be.

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
Ah. So, the Daughter has an old Dell laptop of her own, Windows 8, that she doesn't like because it has Windows 8. So, since she's snagged my laptop to do her school work, I snagged her old Dell. Hooked up to my monitor, plugged in the keyboard, mouse, and speakers, and am back in business. "Temporarily" she says. (Right. This will take me some time to sort out. I don't do anything quickly!)

Anyway, went down to John Lewis, as they have a Dell for the same price as Dell, but with double the warranty.  While there, under the cabinet amid some truly epic dust bunnies I spied an Asus M3211 with 4 gig memory and an i3 processor. And Windows 8.  They want 349 pounds for it. And are offering a 3 year warranty.  The Dell 3650 they have has 8 gig memory and an i3 processor, a 2 year warranty, and Windows 10. They want 449 pounds for it.

Since we'll probably be running Linux on whichever we get, is there an appreciable difference in the two machines that would justify spending another 100 pounds on the Dell?

• Liked: 1892
Gandalf the White (Computer) has died?
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Double the memory will make a huge difference in performance.  I'd give that the most weight, along with Windows 10 being fine and I hear windows 8 is not good.  If you guys are so hot on Linux, why spend money on a licence?  Just buy a machine with Linux installed. If you think you may eventually using Windows most of the time anyway, go for Windows 10.

I think the difference between 2 and three year warranty is no big deal, your computer will either break right away or last a long enough that it's not worth fixing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:49:51 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
Thanks.  Not sure where to get the Linux machine....

Tried emailing the company you said you got yours built by. They asked how much I wanted to spend, and I told them a ballpark. They said they could not provide what I wanted for that. So I emailed them back again and asked what it WOULD cost. Twice. No response.  Rather disturbing, that....

Daughter is telling me that I should get the Asus and upgrade the memory. I'm thinking that's going to put the overall cost in the same range as the first Dell machine, windows 10.  JL is advertising on their website a 3rd model (3268) with 8 gig of 13-7100 and a terabyte of disk drive (more than the Asus). Same price as the one in the store. Will keep shopping, but leaning towards it.

Just because I looked at Lenovo, is there a huge difference between the performance of the AMD chips and the Intel 3 or 5 chips? (for my purposes?)

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
I'm doing a bunch of research these days on a new desktop. I would think unless you are after super duper performance.....not a big difference with the chips. I, however, am after some super duper performance. Unless you are playing games or doing some heavy video editing....I wouldn't worry about which chip you went with.
Fred

Sponsored Links