Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Woooo! provisional offer  (Read 2196 times)

• Liked: 676
Woooo! provisional offer
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
So, assuming I pass security checks, I'll be working for Her Majesty soon!  Woooot!
 ;D

• Liked: 20
Re: Woooo! provisional offer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
 Congratulations! What will you be doing for the Queen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »
You aren't going to be in charge of cyber security are you?

Congratulations!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
Oh congrats!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
You aren't going to be in charge of cyber security are you?

Congratulations!

Hahahahahah. Dear Lord, if they put me in IT, it would set the country back 100 years!

Naw, just a part-time paper-pushing grunt helping with the backlog of stacked up paper. Which is just fine with me. 8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:47:20 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
Well done Nan!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Wonderful news Nan!  Congratulations!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
Great news - congratulations :).

Not sure how long the security clearance will take - depends how high yours will be, I guess. I have heard there's been a backlog with them lately though... earlier this year my colleague needed a higher clearance for a new position within the company and it took almost 6 months to come through (she was due to start the new job in March and her security clearance didn't come through until the end of August).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 04:21:41 PM »
Congrats! At least all the educational evidence you gathered paid off :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
Congratulations! What will you be doing for the Queen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I think that's the longest it's ever taken me from  time of application until contact with offer on any job in 40+ years!  ::)  But it's here, and it should hopefully work out well. Except for wandering around in City Center late at night to catch the bus home, I don't see any negatives. Plus, I won't have to start drawing my social security next year, given this added income. That's a good thing, in the long-term. Too bad it couldn't have come within the 3 months of the date of arrival so I could take my moving expenses (which are not small change) off my USA taxes for the year.  :-\\\\

I'm not keen on starting before Jan 1, so if they take a while to decide I'm low-level secure, that's fine. (I don't want to have to deal with foreign earned income on my USA taxes for 2017 anyway. I know it's just a form and a disregard, but it's just one more complexity I don't want to deal with yet.)

Yeah, I ended up hand-carrying my oversized MPA diploma and originals of all the transcripts (all five of 'em) down so that they could "officially" photocopy them. And my GRE scores (since I test well). Got a phone call several weeks ago asking if I was still interested in a full-time day job with them and said yeppers, and they said they'd be back in touch in a few weeks. Have heard nothing about that one. Now have this message about a part-time job. Not quite sure what's going on, but I'll send in the paperwork on Monday and take whatever they offer me. A foot in the door is a foot in the door, after all.  8)

I would assume that the various paper-pushing offices are going to have to hire a lot more bodies in the next year, if to do nothing than to handle the EU citizen registrations. Assuming Brexit goes as they say they want it to do. It's only going to get more bureaucratic, I think. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:23:04 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
Regarding security issues about getting off work late at night. I emailed my contact there and am told that several employees use public transportation, so I would not be walking alone. Problem solved.  ;D He also said he could arrange for my training (etc.) to happen  in the daytime, if I was concerned, and hopes to be able to offer me a full-time day position soon thereafter.

Wow, that's really nice - I've never had an employer offer to move anything based on my safety concerns. It's always been "well, it is what it is, deal with it." :o :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:06:47 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:56:47 PM »
Regarding security issues about getting off work late at night. I emailed my contact there and am told that several employees use public transportation, so I would not be walking alone. Problem solved.  ;D He also said he could arrange for my training (etc.) to happen  in the daytime, if I was concerned, and hopes to be able to offer me a full-time day position soon thereafter.

Wow, that's really nice - I've never had an employer offer to move anything based on my safety concerns. It's always been "well, it is what it is, deal with it." :o :D
That's awesome!! Sounds like this will work out well for you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
Ok, so today I get an email saying, oh, gosh, sorry, we just noticed you haven't lived here for three years so we can't offer you the job. We know you will be disappointed.... disappointment is not exactly the emotion, guyz.

So nowhere in the application materials did it say there was a residency requirement. I was up front with the interviewers and with all my application materials saying that I've been here only since May of this year.  They have wasted 5 months of my time, plus over 200 pounds in getting documentation they required... for a crappy temporary job?

What the bloody hell?!   :o >:( >:( >:(

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
Ok, so today I get an email saying, oh, gosh, sorry, we just noticed you haven't lived here for three years so we can't offer you the job. We know you will be disappointed.... disappointment is not exactly the emotion, guyz.

So nowhere in the application materials did it say there was a residency requirement. I was up front with the interviewers and with all my application materials saying that I've been here only since May of this year.  They have wasted 5 months of my time, plus over 200 pounds in getting documentation they required... for a crappy temporary job?

What the bloody hell?!   :o >:( >:( >:(

So sorry to hear that, Nan :(. I can't believe they wouldn't have checked or realised that in the first place!

I have to admit, I was a little surprised that you were considered for the job so soon after arriving, given that civil service jobs usually require UK/EU citizenship and either 3 or 5 years residency in the UK/EU, but I just figured maybe the position you were applying for was such that it didn't have the same requirements.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab