Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax Newbie Needs Help  (Read 956 times)

• Liked: 253
Tax Newbie Needs Help
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
Okay, I posted on here a while back, but I do need a bit more clarification.

So I came back to the UK on 1 August, and I did two temporary freelance jobs for two separate companies.

One paid £375 and the other £100.

Since then, I have not done any more freelance work.

I do have a Christmas temp job that pays about £350 every fortnight. It takes out NIN but not income tax. To my understanding, that's because I do not earn enough.

My questions are:

do I need to figure out how to pay NIN for the freelance jobs? And when does this need to be paid?

for the US tax side (as I am temp employed, married, filing separately, etc), what do I need to keep to file my tax returns for next year? I do not expect to be employed past Christmas eve/Boxing day so I expect that I will be unemployed come tax time next year.

Is there a good number to call for UK tax questions? I've tried HMRC and not gotten through to anyone.

Is there a good step-by-step guide to US tax returns for us here in the UK? I've tried to read the gov forms, but I'm honestly so lost by it.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 6110
Re: Tax Newbie Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
Okay, I posted on here a while back, but I do need a bit more clarification.

So I came back to the UK on 1 August, and I did two temporary freelance jobs for two separate companies.

One paid £375 and the other £100.

Since then, I have not done any more freelance work.

I do have a Christmas temp job that pays about £350 every fortnight. It takes out NIN but not income tax. To my understanding, that's because I do not earn enough.

My questions are:

do I need to figure out how to pay NIN for the freelance jobs? And when does this need to be paid?

for the US tax side (as I am temp employed, married, filing separately, etc), what do I need to keep to file my tax returns for next year? I do not expect to be employed past Christmas eve/Boxing day so I expect that I will be unemployed come tax time next year.

Is there a good number to call for UK tax questions? I've tried HMRC and not gotten through to anyone.

Is there a good step-by-step guide to US tax returns for us here in the UK? I've tried to read the gov forms, but I'm honestly so lost by it.

Keep trying HMRC, that's how I learned how to do my UK taxes, by asking them all my questions (and reading the guidance notes.) Sometimes I'd call multiple times in one day as often the answer to one question leads to another question!

You can also put it in writing, you will get a reply and the website mentions a chat service but I've never seen it be actually available!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
Keep trying HMRC, that's how I learned how to do my UK taxes, by asking them all my questions (and reading the guidance notes.) Sometimes I'd call multiple times in one day as often the answer to one question leads to another question!

You can also put it in writing, you will get a reply and the website mentions a chat service but I've never seen it be actually available!

I'll keep trying. But my UK taxes need to be filed by the end of this month correct?

My concern is that I'm calling and it's a bit late so everyone is calling them too lol
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
I'll keep trying. But my UK taxes need to be filed by the end of this month correct?

My concern is that I'm calling and it's a bit late so everyone is calling them too lol

End of January. https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines

Try first thing in the morning, you might have more luck then. They open at 8am. When you get through, ask them when their other quiet times are.
Calling at random, I rarely get through in less than 20 mins sometimes it takes closer to 40. Use speaker phone and have something to keep you occupied while you're waiting!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:26:31 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
End of January. https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines

Try first thing in the morning, you might have more luck then. They open at 8am. When you get through, ask them when their other quiet times are.
Calling at random, I rarely get through in less than 20 mins sometimes it takes closer to 40. Use speaker phone and have something to keep you occupied while you're waiting!

I may try using Skype then because I have limited minutes on my phone and have Netflix on in the background lol

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
And the UK taxes will be due end of January 2019.  You've got lots of time!   :)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
Oooooh okay.

What about US taxes? Aren't those in April 2018 for everything in 2017?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »
Oooooh okay.

Yes, April 15, 2018, is the deadline for earnings in 2017.  But as an expat, you're granted an automatic extension to June 15.  (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-automatic-2-month-extension-of-time-to-file)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 102
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »
Oooooh okay.

And if you file IRS Form 2350 you could extend the filing date until 31 January 2019.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Unless you earn a lot of ££ during the 2017/2018 UK tax year, you might not need to file a UK Self Assessment. Income earned in the US prior to your arrival isn't subject to UK tax. See https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence - and go down to this:

Your residence status when you move

When you move in or out of the UK, the tax year is usually split into 2 - a non-resident part and a resident part. This means you only pay UK tax on foreign income based on the time you were living here. This is called ‘split-year treatment’.

In any case, as others have said, keep calling HMRC and ask questions.

Based on the information you have provided, your US tax liability for 2017 (if any) will largely depend on your earnings prior to arriving in the UK on August 1, and payroll deductions may cover it. You will need to file a return for 2017, as well as every year going forward if you have income, and report ALL earnings during the calendar year, no matter where you lived and earn income. You may not have a tax liability; that depends on your situation.

At this point, assuming I have read your post correctly, you don't/won't meet the physical presence test or the bona fide resident test for tax year 2017 to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) unless you file for an extension to October 15th. Just be aware that any tax due to the US will need to be PAID by April 15th even if you don't file until June or October.

Filing a tax return for most folks isn't all that onerous, and if you have a tolerance for paperwork, you can do it. Using something like Turbo Tax on the US side helps a lot.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
Hi all, quick question: should I keep and send off copies of my paychecks for my UK and US taxes?

I'm being paid every two weeks (sporadically) and will go to a monthly payment in January so I'm trying to figure out how to explain my earnings for taxes.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Hi all, quick question: should I keep and send off copies of my paychecks for my UK and US taxes?

I'm being paid every two weeks (sporadically) and will go to a monthly payment in January so I'm trying to figure out how to explain my earnings for taxes.

You need to keep them but you don't submit them with either your UK or US returns.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
You need to keep them but you don't submit them with either your UK or US returns.

Even as proof of income? I had to save and give my mom's US accountant my payslips.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
Even as proof of income? I had to save and give my mom's US accountant my payslips.

An accountant will want to see evidence of all your income but the IRS/HMRC do not want you to send your evidence to them with your return. However, you need to keep everything yourself in case you are later audited.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
An accountant will want to see evidence of all your income but the IRS/HMRC do not want you to send your evidence to them with your return. However, you need to keep everything yourself in case you are later audited.

Ahhhh okay okay good to know

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab