Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hotel (budget) recommendation Edinburgh near the Christmas Market  (Read 646 times)

• Liked: 676
Or on the tramline, or within a mile's walk. Need to travel to Edinburgh on Wednesday and stay overnight, no clue about hotels over there. Need an inexpensive but decent (i.e., no bedbugs or full of drunks) place. Any recommendations?

• Liked: 6110

• Liked: 957
Re: Hotel (budget) recommendation Edinburgh near the Christmas Market
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
My mom stayed here for our wedding, it was affordable and near the bus and she was happy with it. Lots of lil B&B's through the city :) http://www.dorstanguesthouse.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 43
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »
I would suggest AirBnB at this time of year. Even budget hotels will have jacked up prices. Hopefully you’d be able to find a better deal with AirBnB. My friend has a great room but I think she’s a bit too far out for you - sheen off Telford Road.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
And don't discount the hostels. Lots of nice ones around Haymarket and the Grassmarket,  Candlemakers Row and Royal Mile.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
sheen off Telford Road.

In case Nan is googling it, 'sheen' is spelled Sciennes.
(sorry for butting in!  :-\\\\ )

Have you been to the Christmas market in Glasgow?  (everyone just calls it the German market -- it was at St Enoch's square last time I went, but super crowded and not worth the bother, IMO.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:43:31 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 43
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
In case Nan is googling it, 'sheen' is spelled Sciennes.
(sorry for butting in!  :-\\\\ )

Have you been to the Christmas market in Glasgow?  (everyone just calls it the German market -- it was at St Enoch's square last time I went, but super crowded and not worth the bother, IMO.)

A typo for sure, but its supposed to say ‘she’s off Telford Road’, not ‘Sciennes off Telford Road’.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »
A typo for sure, but its supposed to say ‘she’s off Telford Road’, not ‘Sciennes off Telford Road’.

HAHAHAH!  That's what I get for guessing! [smiley=laugh3.gif]
I worked in Edinburgh for 8 years, but I have no idea where Telford Road is...

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:15 PM »
Thanks, guyz. I was hoping for a personal recommendation - been to all the travel websites.  We decided to change our plans, given how cold it is scheduled to be. Daughter will take the train over very early on Thursday and conduct her business, and I will stay in our nice warm flat. My lungs act up badly when I have too much cold air, and I am only now feeling better from my expedition on Friday. It's scheduled to be quite cold on Wednesday, so my sight-seeing must wait.  :-\\\\ We were going to go over on Wed afternoon and see the Christmas market, and then I was coming back the next morning while Daughter had some stuff to do all day over there  I think the revised plan is best.  My thermometer, outside my kitchen window, hasn't gotten up to zero yet today that I've noticed! :o

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
And, sorry, forgot to reply. No, we haven't been to the Glasgow Christmas Market - not the one in George Square. Went to the one down by St. Enoch's last week (or the week before? Right after it opened) and it was all food booths... we'll try both again after this cold snap. Weather guy says it will be a bit warmer next week, which works well for me!

My trusty hanging-in-the-breeze-on-the-third-floor-window thermometer is covered in frost, and still reading -10C. It's a teeny bit off, we know, so it's probably been about -6.  Oddly, there are drops of water on the outside of the window panes that are not frozen and not a cloud in sight. The ground is absolutely white with frost (that has not left in a few days) so I'm not sure how that is happening. Yesterday there were a few drops, but they were frozen solid. And Jack Frost has painted all over the bottom of the outside of the windows - haven't seen that since I was a kid! Very Pretty!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
And, sorry, forgot to reply. No, we haven't been to the Glasgow Christmas Market - not the one in George Square. Went to the one down by St. Enoch's last week (or the week before? Right after it opened) and it was all food booths... we'll try both again after this cold snap. Weather guy says it will be a bit warmer next week, which works well for me!

My trusty hanging-in-the-breeze-on-the-third-floor-window thermometer is covered in frost, and still reading -10C. It's a teeny bit off, we know, so it's probably been about -6.  Oddly, there are drops of water on the outside of the window panes that are not frozen and not a cloud in sight. The ground is absolutely white with frost (that has not left in a few days) so I'm not sure how that is happening. Yesterday there were a few drops, but they were frozen solid. And Jack Frost has painted all over the bottom of the outside of the windows - haven't seen that since I was a kid! Very Pretty!
They are both the same Nan. The Glasgow market encompasses both sites and they are pretty much identical with the exception of the rides in George's Square.

It's the Edinburgh market you really want to go to! It is breathtaking especially at night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
Yeah, that's what the Daughter says.  We are going to take a MegaBus over some day next week and plan to stay for a few hours after it gets dark. (MegaBus costs her about 3.50 each way and I only have to pay the 1 pound reservation fee, so that's great!).  ;D

The Daughter went to the Edinburgh market when she was here on study abroad a couple of years ago and says I ~have~ to see it, so sometime next week I'll bundle up and we'll go on an adventure!  (She found some amazing whole-bean coffee at that market and brought it home for me in the States when she came home for Christmas.)

Speaking of shopping, I placed an order with my favorite weird-stuff-in-stock store in the USA, Vitacost.com , and have been waiting for my package. Which is nowhere in the tracking system. Finally got out of them that there seems to be a "restricted item" in the box. They could not tell me what it was. Their system supposedly flags items that can't be shipped here and won't sell them to a customer, but something got through. We are trying to decide if it's the flower-scented water, or the multi-vitamins.  Everything else has shipped here ok before.  My guess is that it's the multi-vitamins.  Anyone have any idea? Everything else is like tea, scented soap bars, baking ingredients (cocoa, baking powder, etc) that we've had sent before. The only new items are the scented waters and the vitamins.  ???

• Liked: 957
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:40 AM »
Yeah, that's what the Daughter says.  We are going to take a MegaBus over some day next week and plan to stay for a few hours after it gets dark. (MegaBus costs her about 3.50 each way and I only have to pay the 1 pound reservation fee, so that's great!).  ;D

The Daughter went to the Edinburgh market when she was here on study abroad a couple of years ago and says I ~have~ to see it, so sometime next week I'll bundle up and we'll go on an adventure!  (She found some amazing whole-bean coffee at that market and brought it home for me in the States when she came home for Christmas.)

Speaking of shopping, I placed an order with my favorite weird-stuff-in-stock store in the USA, Vitacost.com , and have been waiting for my package. Which is nowhere in the tracking system. Finally got out of them that there seems to be a "restricted item" in the box. They could not tell me what it was. Their system supposedly flags items that can't be shipped here and won't sell them to a customer, but something got through. We are trying to decide if it's the flower-scented water, or the multi-vitamins.  Everything else has shipped here ok before.  My guess is that it's the multi-vitamins.  Anyone have any idea? Everything else is like tea, scented soap bars, baking ingredients (cocoa, baking powder, etc) that we've had sent before. The only new items are the scented waters and the vitamins.  ???
What was in the vitamins? It's likely them. Often they will say "cannot ship to Europe" or similar. I'll be stocking up on coenzyme q10 when home because it's an essential part of my treatment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab