Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My husband made the cut, but no job offer...  (Read 6866 times)

• Liked: 1327
My husband made the cut, but no job offer...
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
So, my husband applied for a civil service job some time ago, and his application survived the first sift and he was invited to take some online assessments.  He did well enough on those that he was invited for an interview.  He did well enough at the interview (where there were additional assessments!) that he received this today:

Dear XXXXX

You’ve reached the required standard but we’re unable to offer you a job immediately.

We've placed you on a reserve list from which future appointments may be made.

The reserve list will last for 12 months from the date of this email.

If you don’t hear from us by this date we haven’t been able to offer you a job.

Regards

As we were absorbing this news, trying to decide whether we should be disappointed or kicking ourselves for not doing more, or better, or something, my husband looked at his feedback scores.  7 out of 7 on all but one section... he only got a 6 for one of them.  The overall rating was "Outstanding Demonstration".  So, he couldn't have done any more.

So now we're thinking that one of the remarks by a person at the interview is very telling.  He said we would hear whether he was selected or not in 2 - 4 weeks, but if selected, it could be up to a year before he starts.  Now my husband is thinking the jobs just aren't there yet, so we didn't necessarily miss out on a first round of hiring.

It's so frustrating not knowing what's going on.  And we really need this job so he can stop this $#(*&@ commute!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3595
Re: My husband made the cut, but no job offer...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »
That's great that he got through all the hoops and made the cut, but I'm sorry he got put on their reserve list :(.

As we were absorbing this news, trying to decide whether we should be disappointed or kicking ourselves for not doing more, or better, or something, my husband looked at his feedback scores.  7 out of 7 on all but one section... he only got a 6 for one of them.  The overall rating was "Outstanding Demonstration".  So, he couldn't have done any more.

So now we're thinking that one of the remarks by a person at the interview is very telling.  He said we would hear whether he was selected or not in 2 - 4 weeks, but if selected, it could be up to a year before he starts.  Now my husband is thinking the jobs just aren't there yet, so we didn't necessarily miss out on a first round of hiring.

It's probably just a case of  there being a slightly better candidate right now, but that there may well be other jobs coming up in the next few months.

I wouldn't be too disheartened - I work in a civil service job, and got the 'we like you but you're on the reserve list' letter twice before I eventually got the job.

I interviewed for my job for the second time in Feb 2009 (to start either in Oct 2009 or April 2010), interviewed in April and got the 'you're on the reserve list' letter in May. Then I got another letter in July saying that I was being offered a place for the April 2010 intake :).

I didn't actually start the job until the October 2010 intake, but that's a different story.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
I'm not sure if that's encouraging news or not.  After my ILR visa in May, it doesn't matter what job my husband is in.  We need this job because the average graduate job locally doesn't pay enough to satisfy the income requirement, so he's kept his old job and done this stupid commute (at great expense, because Home Office doesn't look at outgo, they only look at income)...  So either he starts this civil service job or he works his old job 'til my ILR is granted, then takes whatever he can find locally that pays our bills.  Either way, it now looks like he's going to be commuting right up 'til the ILR appointment date.  :(

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
I'm not sure if that's encouraging news or not.  After my ILR visa in May, it doesn't matter what job my husband is in.

Yeah, possibly not encouraging for your visa situation, but maybe in regards to whether or not he may get a job with the company in the near future, as it seems to be a common thing to do in the civil service. With my job, when the April 2010 intake fell through, they actually called me up a few months later and asked if I could start in 6 weeks.

We need this job because the average graduate job locally doesn't pay enough to satisfy the income requirement, so he's kept his old job and done this stupid commute (at great expense, because Home Office doesn't look at outgo, they only look at income)...  So either he starts this civil service job or he works his old job 'til my ILR is granted, then takes whatever he can find locally that pays our bills.  Either way, it now looks like he's going to be commuting right up 'til the ILR appointment date.  :(

Just a thought:  could you both try to get local, lower paying jobs and combine incomes? Maybe he could try to get two local jobs?

For example, if one of you had a full-time job, paying, say £15,000 per year and then the other (or the same person) got an extra part-time job paying £4,000 per year, you could meet the requirement that way.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
Big hugs!

At least he’s on the list.  Try to remember that he did his absolute best.  For all you know, they moved someone internally but had a requirement to look outside as well.   ::)

Hugs!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
It's fabulous that he got such fantastic feedback but knowing why you wanted so much for him to start this job as soon as possible, I can understand how it must feel a little hollow at the moment.

Even if he does have to stay at his present job until ILR... you are SO nearly there!

Hang in there!  ;D

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
Yeah, possibly not encouraging for your visa situation, but maybe in regards to whether or not he may get a job with the company in the near future, as it seems to be a common thing to do in the civil service. With my job, when the April 2010 intake fell through, they actually called me up a few months later and asked if I could start in 6 weeks.

Just a thought:  could you both try to get local, lower paying jobs and combine incomes? Maybe he could try to get two local jobs?

For example, if one of you had a full-time job, paying, say £15,000 per year and then the other (or the same person) got an extra part-time job paying £4,000 per year, you could meet the requirement that way.

We have talked about it, but he always says, "But then you would have to work."  I could work (as evidenced by my workshop activities), but getting there and back would be not insignificant hardship for me.  I would gladly do it to relieve his burden, but the discussion always leads to him letting me know he is not comfortable with shifting any of the burden to me.  And I'm too lazy to argue with him about it.

It's fabulous that he got such fantastic feedback but knowing why you wanted so much for him to start this job as soon as possible, I can understand how it must feel a little hollow at the moment.

Even if he does have to stay at his present job until ILR... you are SO nearly there!

Hang in there!  ;D

Thanks, KF and larrabee... it is definitely a comfort knowing we have (he has) done everything he could to get the job.  And we are so nearly there for ILR.  We knew when we offered on this house that we could have up to two years of commuting if he wasn't able to find a job before ILR.  The purchase process took up six months of those two years, but we never thought we would go the full 18 remaining months this way.  Now it looks like we will.  But I can book my appointment (and pay!) at the end of March, and we'll hopefully have my application appointment in early May.  And then it will be over!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
We have talked about it, but he always says, "But then you would have to work."  I could work (as evidenced by my workshop activities), but getting there and back would be not insignificant hardship for me.  I would gladly do it to relieve his burden, but the discussion always leads to him letting me know he is not comfortable with shifting any of the burden to me.  And I'm too lazy to argue with him about it.

Fair enough :). Just a thought, in case it was an option :).

Thanks, KF and larrabee... it is definitely a comfort knowing we have (he has) done everything he could to get the job.  And we are so nearly there for ILR.  We knew when we offered on this house that we could have up to two years of commuting if he wasn't able to find a job before ILR.

At the end of the day, it's only a few more months... and then you'll have the rest of your lives together to work in any jobs you like, where you won't need to worry about meeting financial requirements for visas :).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »
Aw, this makes me sad, but at least it is only a couple more months! And hopefully down the line an 'in' for a better job even if he has to take a lesser one closer to home for a few months. The finish line is sight for you. :)

I feel like if we all shared the real challenges that go with family immigration, even from an "ideal" country like the US, maybe people would stop harping on immigrants so much? I guess part of me feels like honesty and awareness are the only things that'll change attitudes. (I feel this way about so many things, and in the US it seems like a platform can enact change pretty quickly ... but I'm not so sure about the UK.)

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:29 AM »
Aw, this makes me sad, but at least it is only a couple more months! And hopefully down the line an 'in' for a better job even if he has to take a lesser one closer to home for a few months. The finish line is sight for you. :)

I feel like if we all shared the real challenges that go with family immigration, even from an "ideal" country like the US, maybe people would stop harping on immigrants so much? I guess part of me feels like honesty and awareness are the only things that'll change attitudes. (I feel this way about so many things, and in the US it seems like a platform can enact change pretty quickly ... but I'm not so sure about the UK.)

Then there's my inlaws, who do know what we've been going through for the past five years, but still don't understand why we think unkind thoughts whenever Theresa May is brought up.  They were horrified at the thought that we might support someone other than the people who have made our lives a daily struggle.   ::)

Anyway, yes... just a few more months, and this will all be over.  And, as disappointing as the lack of immediate job offer is/was, it is gratifying to have the rather positive feedback regarding his application.  I just wish it translated into a job.  Oh well.  Not changing jobs means we only need six months of statements and payslips, so that's less we have to gather and bring in to the appointment.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »
Then there's my inlaws, who do know what we've been going through for the past five years, but still don't understand why we think unkind thoughts whenever Theresa May is brought up.  They were horrified at the thought that we might support someone other than the people who have made our lives a daily struggle.   ::)

I am so incredibly thankful that my husband comes from a fairly liberal family! I couldn't imagine that. No one in his household supports the tories as far as I know :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm sorry he didn't make the cut this time. Hang in there, it's not too long until May. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
Update because I'm really really happy/relieved/excited:

My husband starts his new job on March 26th!  While they wouldn't start him if he kept the week he'd booked off during the first part of May for my ILR appointment, they have agreed to one day off that week, so I can still do that appointment (and book it in and pay before the fee rise in April).

He will be earning slightly less pay, but we'll be saving four times the amount we lose by no longer having the commuting costs, so it's a massive net gain.  Plus, he'll be home!  And he has hated his current job since he started it nearly 15 years ago, and now he's finally getting out.  Wheeee!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
Congrats!  What's his opinion on Pineapple pizza?

Sponsored Links