Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fragrance free clumping cat litter  (Read 2428 times)

• Liked: 957
Fragrance free clumping cat litter
« on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
Nothing like waiting for the last minute right? Husband is sorting out a litter box for our arrival, but I have struggled to find a fragrance free clumping cat litter. She's an indoor only cat, and that is the only type I have ever used. I'd just buy petsmart brand here, cheap and effective without making me sick or my kitty itchy. Any suggestions for where to find litter? Pets at home is the shop closest to him but I had no luck on their website - everything was scented. (even things labeled unscented with masking scents make me ill so I don't trust anything that isn't explicit that there's no fragrance)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Fragrance free clumping cat litter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
I use Greenwoods Natural clumping litter from zooplus. It's made of plant fibre and is flushable, unscented, masks odours well and clumps well. The only drawback is that it tracks quite a lot, so if you don't like vacuuming it may not be for you. I think the brand also does a clumping clay litter that probably tracks less.

FYI we also buy cat food from zooplus, their prices are much lower than Pets at Home and the shipping isn't pricey either.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/greenwoods_cat_litter/greenwoods_clumping_wood_litter/475317
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
Litter leaves a lot to be desired in the UK.  Most people let their cats out so not much choice.

I use Costco's but it is sold as lemongrass scent.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
Zooplus is seriously YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND.  We get our litter delivered - clay-based clumping stuff - Tigerino I think is the brand, but very long lasting. Depends if you are down with clay litter though. I think lemongrass IS the scent free version; I don't want to smell fake scent in the house and can guarantee a cat will be allergic to it as soon as I buy it. Our poor DPD guy, I always apologize when 30kg of litter show up at once.

We order just about everything through there including wet food, dry food, and treats. We got our cats a new tall scratching post when we moved that they adore. I would love to get them the giant barrel thing, but I don't think our place is big enough to not have it be the center of the living room.

The only thing about zooplus is that they don't really move too fast on the shipping, so I make sure I plan to order a few days before we run out. Don't take Yodel, always go for DPD, but shipping is free over £29.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
Zooplus is seriously YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND.  We get our litter delivered - clay-based clumping stuff - Tigerino I think is the brand, but very long lasting. Depends if you are down with clay litter though. I think lemongrass IS the scent free version; I don't want to smell fake scent in the house and can guarantee a cat will be allergic to it as soon as I buy it. Our poor DPD guy, I always apologize when 30kg of litter show up at once.

We order just about everything through there including wet food, dry food, and treats. We got our cats a new tall scratching post when we moved that they adore. I would love to get them the giant barrel thing, but I don't think our place is big enough to not have it be the center of the living room.

The only thing about zooplus is that they don't really move too fast on the shipping, so I make sure I plan to order a few days before we run out. Don't take Yodel, always go for DPD, but shipping is free over £29.
Thank you! We saw zooplus but it didn't give shipping times. I'll have him order from there and if in a pinch use one that makes me sick for a couple days. We looked on amazon and it was £74 for 20lbs of litter and I was like uhhhhh no.

Any recommendations on cat food brands? I usually go with grain free due to celiac and not wanting wheat covered paws occasionally sneaking into my drinks etc.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
You bet - we feed grain free/mostly grain free because ours are mostly indoor and I dont want them eating junk. Although they get junky wet at night but hey, you gotta draw the line somewhere :)

Zooplus some similar US brands like Taste of the Wild (in the hideous colored bags with mountain lion on the front) which our two like a lot, and that is grain free

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/taste_of_the_wild

However, we have also found Applaws to work very well and is their daily morning brand (oh look! big sale on trial 400g bag for £1!!)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/applaws/640736

And they love love LOVE Purizon, but they must have changed formula because it makes Boy Kitty a bit runny now and then he gets confused using the box. Orijen is supposed to be amazing, but its really pricey though. We did try them on Meowing Heads, but it made Girl Kitty barf, so that one got binned as well.

Oh! there is a new brand called Leonardo that is specifically wheat-free cant vouch for it though as we haven't tried it:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/leonardo

What I love about zooplus is that you can get trial bags for most brands, so no chancing with food that may not get eaten.

For wet, ours like gravy-style but they dont have BFF brand here (their favorite, we brought boxes home from the US for them as a special treat), so we serve Gourmet Perle.

Treats wise - they really like the Cosma dried chicken snax in the tube.

It looks like most shipping is 1-3 days and I suppose we usually do get the order in 3 or 4 days. Just dont expect a slick shipping operation like Amazon, but it WILL get to you, well packed, correct, in time. I just like to give it an extra day or two.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:34:57 PM by BertineC »

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
You bet - we feed grain free/mostly grain free because ours are mostly indoor and I dont want them eating junk. Although they get junky wet at night but hey, you gotta draw the line somewhere :)

Zooplus some similar US brands like Taste of the Wild (in the hideous colored bags with mountain lion on the front) which our two like a lot, and that is grain free

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/taste_of_the_wild

However, we have also found Applaws to work very well and is their daily morning brand (oh look! big sale on trial 400g bag for £1!!)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/applaws/640736

And they love love LOVE Purizon, but they must have changed formula because it makes Boy Kitty a bit runny now. Acana Wild Prairie is supposed to be amazing, but its really pricey though.

What I love about zooplus is that you can get trial bags for most brands, so no chancing with food that may not get eaten.

For wet, ours like gravy-style but they dont have BFF brand here (their favorite, we brought boxes home from the US for them as a special treat), so we serve Gourmet Perle.

Treats wise - they really like the Cosma dried chicken snax in the tube.
Thank you so much! Elly has a sensitive tummy too, so the trials are excellent. I really appreciate the advice. I'm gonna trial the felisept collar too and see if that helps her stay calm while going through so much change (she's gonna have a short visit with his parents while we find a flat that allows cats). At the usda vet they had feliway in the room diffusing and it affected me a bit but that was the most calm she's been at the vet. It made a huge difference!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
I kept modifying so you may want to have another read :)

I think the pets get used to situations much faster than we think they do and we can sit and worry but ultimately they are just fine! But we were able to at least ship in the food we wanted them fed through the zooplus swedish site, which made me feel a bit better until we were able to get a place to move them home to us.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
My cats also eat Applaws, they love it and it seems to keep their tummies healthy :)
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »
We ordered trials of the applaws and gourmet perle packets, and hoping she likes it! And found the unscented litter.  *phew*

Did you guys have any trouble bringing like a 2 week supply of cat food in checked luggage? It's all turkey and duck for her, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue!

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
We ordered trials of the applaws and gourmet perle packets, and hoping she likes it! And found the unscented litter.  *phew*

Did you guys have any trouble bringing like a 2 week supply of cat food in checked luggage? It's all turkey and duck for her, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue!

Get some gallon sized ziploc bags and duct tape loads of food to the side of kitty's crate, then you know you won't have any problems.  I suspect you won't have an issue having it in your checked luggage but can't guarantee it will make it.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

It's prohibited unless it's
Special pet feed required for medical reasons*   2kg total weight per person travelling

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
Get some gallon sized ziploc bags and duct tape loads of food to the side of kitty's crate, then you know you won't have any problems. 

I did that (well, one bag!) because that's allowed but although they used it to feed the cats on arrival, they didn't give the rest back to me!

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »
I did that (well, one bag!) because that's allowed but although they used it to feed the cats on arrival, they didn't give the rest back to me!

Really?  Mine was untouched and still attached.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
Really?  Mine was untouched and still attached.

Yes! IIRC, the instructions said you could attach so much, by weight, in a bag on the outside of the cage so although it was way more than they would need for the trip, I put the maximum amount allowed just so that they would have a few days of familiar food when they arrived. But nope, not there when I picked them up!
I was just so relieved to have them back in one piece that it didn't even register until I got them home but luckily I had prepared and had bought some food (and litter) on a previous visit otherwise I'd have had to have the taxi stop at a store on the way home!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:18:00 AM by larrabee »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab