Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Christmas menu 2017  (Read 1868 times)

• Liked: 585
Christmas menu 2017
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
It's that time again... I'm nosy and like to read what everyone else is having for their Christmas scran!

I've ordered the lamb 'guard of honour' from Morrisons:
https://my.morrisons.com/foodtoorder/product/christmas-mains/british-lamb-guard-of-honour/1021

Hope it turns out as amazing as it looks in the picture!  I'm also doing glazed spiced carrots, plain boiled sprouts (that's how he likes them  :-\\\\ ), pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce and roast potatoes.  We have a wonderful ice cream shop here in town (British seaside, what can I say?), so for pudding, we are going to get big tubs of a couple of different flavours.

For St Stephens day/Boxing day, my plan is to make taquitos out of the leftover lamb, with my brand-new tortilla press put into action.  I've even got a bottle of avocado & chilli sauce for that 'just like Tastee Freez' experience!

• Liked: 768
Re: Christmas menu 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
I won't be cooking. My husbands family goes out to eat so that is what we are doing.

I miss cooking big holiday dinners! These people are no fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
That lamb roast looks stunning. :D  Presentation makes a meal, really.

I ordered a turkey breast roll from Campbells https://www.campbellsmeat.com/product/turkey-breast-boneless.html (with an additional 20% off and free delivery!), and made cranberry conserves at Thanksgiving that I canned, so it'll be turkey, cranberry, boiled/smashed garlic potatoes, fresh carrots, fresh seeded-loaf bread. We have a stash of various cheeses and some crackers, and I'm going out tomorrow (to see Star Wars) and will stop at various shops looking for some nice beef sausage (ala Hickory Farms) so we can have cheese and sausage and crackers, and leftover turkey, in the evening.

Oh, was at Waitrose today (stopped in to grab eggs on the way home, and Tesco was out of my way) and got some of their Turkish Delight, too. In the States it's terribly sweet, but this stuff is heavenly - lovely flavor, not nearly as overpoweringly sweet, and the Daughter will have a nice wooden box for her sewing threads when it's gone. :)  Waitrose apparently has all their tinned cookies on sale  today, from the sign by the door, at half price, if you're looking.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:49:13 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 149
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
Come on.....I'm in N Yorkshire......Yorkshire pudding had better be served. Although.....what I consider to be pretty funny.....when I first met my wife they had asked if I wanted any Yorkshire pudding, my answer was a polite (but in my mind HELL NO) no thank you. I thought Y pudding was a pudding......not a weird looking croissant. I love croissant.....covered in gravy better yet!!!!
Fred

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
That sounds wonderful. Anything with gravy....   ;D

Oh, on pigs-in-a-blanket. In the States they are sausages wrapped in pancakes (or other pastry. Here apparently they are sausages wrapped in streaky bacon. Is that right?

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 09:09:17 PM »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
That lamb looks lovely!

Although I wanted to do Christmas, my MIL has insisted it's her turn.
So it will be all the traditional stuff and she's a decent cook, so all is good. 
Although, it makes me always a bit sad that she gets a turkey crown though, because I love dark turkey meat.  I'm going to make a dairy free black forest trifle to bring along and we're going to try our hand at making some herby cashew soft 'cheese'.   

I've got a ham to make for Christmas Eve, but haven't figured out what sides I want with it. 
No clue what we're doing for Boxing Day yet, probably nibbles with leftover ham. 
Not feeling too ready, lol. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
I'm having a liquid Christmas 🥂

I prepare three full meals and two snacks daily for 365 days a year. No one in the household can give me any indication of what they want to eat on Christmas Day. I gave them until this Friday to come up with something. If they can't think of anything, no skin off my nose. I am having mimosas for breakfast, cheese and olives for lunch with wine, popcorn and a movie around dinner time and some brandy with my mince pie. I'm freaking sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Sounds like a party, lorenausuk  Wheee!!!!! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
For the past two years we've gone over my father in law's house for Christmas dinner in the evening. It's just the three of us. My husband's family is fairly spread out, so everyone kind of does their own thing for Christmas.

It'll be the traditional roast dinner fare. Turkey, gravy, plain boiled vegetables (blech!), etc. I'm actually not a roast dinner fan... if I could get away with just having a plate of roast potatoes and stuffing I would  ;) I made a yule log for dessert last year and I'm thinking I might do the same this year. And of course I always make Christmas cookies. I think this year I'll do cut out sugar cookies, snowballs and Millionaire's shortbread to share with family/friends.

Back in the US my family does a big Christmas brunch around 12:30, and that's the main meal of the day. Cinnamon rolls, bacon, sausage, waffles, quiche, eggnog... it's huge and has pretty much every brunch item you can think of. In the evening appetizers/finger foods and desserts are set out buffet style where people can help themselves.

During my husband's first Christmas in the US, I somehow forgot to tell him that brunch was the main meal, and to eat up. I later found out he assumed we were just having a nice breakfast, and that a roast dinner would be served later on. When 8pm rolled around, he quietly asked me when dinner would be served as he was getting hungry  ;D

4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 11:47:16 PM »
Back in the US my family does a big Christmas brunch around 12:30, and that's the main meal of the day. Cinnamon rolls, bacon, sausage, waffles, quiche, eggnog... it's huge and has pretty much every brunch item you can think of. In the evening appetizers/finger foods and desserts are set out buffet style where people can help themselves.

Oh YUM!!!

My mom always does cinnamon rolls too... I have the recipe, but just can't be arsed.  The IKEA ones suit me just fine!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »
I won't be cooking. My husbands family goes out to eat so that is what we are doing.

In a previous relationship, that family always went to La Fiorentina at Paisley Road Toll on Christmas Day.  The early sitting, at 12 noon.  ::)  Nice food, but the whole scene was all a bit too formal for me.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:01:51 AM »
In a previous relationship, that family always went to La Fiorentina at Paisley Road Toll on Christmas Day.  The early sitting, at 12 noon.  ::)  Nice food, but the whole scene was all a bit too formal for me.
Omg. Now I've got to think about what to wear. Lol.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 12:07:44 AM »
Omg. Now I've got to think about what to wear. Lol.

OMG, that reminds me of that same family (my former in-laws).... Faither was a stern Presbyterian from the islands, and mammy was a jolly good-time Glasgow girl.  How they managed to stay married, I will never know.  Anyway, one year she got a new coat that was bright blue, and we were all walking down from Cessnock to the Toll for our Christmas dinner.  He refused to walk on the same side of the road as her, because he was embarrassed of her bright blue coat.  ::)

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
OMG, that reminds me of that same family (my former in-laws).... Faither was a stern Presbyterian from the islands, and mammy was a jolly good-time Glasgow girl.  How they managed to stay married, I will never know.  Anyway, one year she got a new coat that was bright blue, and we were all walking down from Cessnock to the Toll for our Christmas dinner.  He refused to walk on the same side of the road as her, because he was embarrassed of her bright blue coat.  ::)
My husband is from Glasgow. He would be the one buying me a bright blue coat. Lol

He bought me an orange and white Twiggy retro coat from M&S. Lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab