Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Joint Bank Account  (Read 2534 times)

• Liked: 78
Joint Bank Account
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
Hello everyone!

I just moved to London to be with my husband on December 1st. We finally went yesterday to get me added to his Santander bank account. They didn’t like the mail I provided as proof of address so we’re waiting on another piece of mail that they said would be good. But the lady also said that there’s a chance I might not be able to be added because I’ve been here for such a short time and they’ll need to do a credit check. I thought I’d be added easy since my husband has an established account. Anyone have experience with this?
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (priority)
Country applying from: USA
Online application: September 30, 2017
Biometrics: October 4, 2017
Application & Documents Mailed: October 5, 2017
Application & Documents Delivered: October 9, 2017
Email Confirmation of Receipt: October 9, 2017
Decision Made Email: Nov. 14, 2017
Passport Arrived: Nov. 17, 2017 VISA APPROVED!
27 Business Days

• Liked: 672
Re: Joint Bank Account
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »
Interesting. I opened my own bank account less than a month after landing, no credit check. Six months later when I applied for a credit card to build my non-existent UK credit history they gave me one with four times the credit limit I'd asked for.  Perhaps it's something that is a bank-by-bank policy?

• Liked: 716
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
An emphatic “Yes”, we had a similar problem and we are both British and have been married over 40 years and held a joint account all that time.

When we returned to England last year we went into the bank to provide a change of address and because we didn’t have any utility bills in joint names they said they couldn’t continue the joint account with my wife’s name on it. We had leased a house from the USA and when we arrived and took possession the agent had transferred the utilities to my name only. We left the bank spitting tacks but when we got back home I found that our water bill was in joint names.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
This has actually been a fairly normal thing to happen to people on the forum over the years.

It doesn't really make sense, but I remember quite a few people in the past saying they found it much easier to open their own account than to be added to their partner's account... they ended up opening an individual account first, and then having to wait several months before they could be added to a joint account.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:59 AM »
We had no trouble at all opening a Barclays account for my husband. Not a bank that I use myself but he has BoA in the US and they have a relationship so that's where he wanted to be.

If Santander is giving you a hard time, try somewhere else. Plenty more banks on the High Street!   ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »

If Santander is giving you a hard time, try somewhere else. Plenty more banks on the High Street!   ;D

+1

• Liked: 35
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
Perhaps tell them that you don't want a checkbook or overdraft. Then there is no justification for a credit check.

I have used Yorkshire Bank all my life. We moved back to the UK, they said no, we went to Natwest who said yes. UK banks don't seem interested in loyalty or customer service these days.

• Liked: 78
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Thanks for all your responses!! As soon as I get the proof of address I need we’ll be back down at their office. If they say I can’t be added then as you say, theres other banks out there!
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (priority)
Country applying from: USA
Online application: September 30, 2017
Biometrics: October 4, 2017
Application & Documents Mailed: October 5, 2017
Application & Documents Delivered: October 9, 2017
Email Confirmation of Receipt: October 9, 2017
Decision Made Email: Nov. 14, 2017
Passport Arrived: Nov. 17, 2017 VISA APPROVED!
27 Business Days

• Liked: 116
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Santander was pretty easy for us to join together but we had the correct mail.  I also had a student account from Lloyds (I still get paid into this) from before so it was no problem passing the credit check.  They offered us an enormous overdraft but we actually turned it down and this was no problem--so you could possibly eliminate this step completely. 

We were opening up a brand new account for us two.  My husband had an account there from when he was a kid as Santander acquired whatever bank had his kiddie savings account.  He had like £3 left in it.  But it might have made a difference that we were opening a new one altogether rather than just adding me to his.  (I wasn't added to his, we get paid into our own old accounts and transfer everything except like £80 fun money per person into the shared account.)
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
This has actually been a fairly normal thing to happen to people on the forum over the years.

It doesn't really make sense, but I remember quite a few people in the past saying they found it much easier to open their own account than to be added to their partner's account... they ended up opening an individual account first, and then having to wait several months before they could be added to a joint account.

Really? It was nigh impossible to get me a bank account on my own, but once I was on my husband's I could open my own with the bank.

I didn't have a job at the time.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
Hello everyone!

I just moved to London to be with my husband on December 1st. We finally went yesterday to get me added to his Santander bank account. They didn’t like the mail I provided as proof of address so we’re waiting on another piece of mail that they said would be good. But the lady also said that there’s a chance I might not be able to be added because I’ve been here for such a short time and they’ll need to do a credit check. I thought I’d be added easy since my husband has an established account. Anyone have experience with this?

Our bank, Natwest, was really picky about the post they accepted. The post and the fact that my fiance visa was expiring in less than a week made them not want to add me. I told them the only reason it hadn't happened previously was their fault and I needed to be on the account now and they had said we could do it when we were there last. They added me to the account.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
Advantage? As a joint bank account holder you automatically inherit on death. No need to wait for probate.

Disadvantage? The whole account and the joint owners details are reported by you on your annual FBAR & 8938 if you meet the applicable filing thresholds.  The bank reports on you under FATCA too of course...

• Liked: 35
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
Disadvantage? The whole account and the joint owners details are reported by you on your annual FBAR & 8938 if you meet the applicable filing thresholds.  The bank reports on you under FATCA too of course...

I don't think filing FBARs is much of a disadvantage. Takes me 10 minutes tops. I print out each FBAR after filing and the next year I can quickly copy all the details across, then just look up the amounts and plug them in.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 12:16:11 AM »
I don't think filing FBARs is much of a disadvantage. Takes me 10 minutes tops. I print out each FBAR after filing and the next year I can quickly copy all the details across, then just look up the amounts and plug them in.

Depends on your circumstances. It can be a huge PITA!

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Depends on your circumstances. It can be a huge PITA!

Particularly if you are not comfortable using the internet since paper filing of FBAR forms was done away with recently, you may have to get or pay someone to file on your behalf.

Sponsored Links