Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Joint Bank Account  (Read 2533 times)

• Liked: 154
Re: Joint Bank Account
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 07:07:43 AM »
Really? It was nigh impossible to get me a bank account on my own, but once I was on my husband's I could open my own with the bank.

I didn't have a job at the time.

I couldn't get on my husbands, so I had to open a basic acct and wait like six months to get on his 123 acct. We bank Santander too. It was easy to get my own, I was still on my fiancé visa so I don't even think they should have given it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
I don't think filing FBARs is much of a disadvantage. Takes me 10 minutes tops. I print out each FBAR after filing and the next year I can quickly copy all the details across, then just look up the amounts and plug them in.

I have to do this for this tax year and I'm so nervous! We're not loaded or anything, but it's our house savings funds that tipped me over the threshold.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
I have to do this for this tax year and I'm so nervous! We're not loaded or anything, but it's our house savings funds that tipped me over the threshold.

Honestly it really is not too hard once you get started. The anticipation of doing it is much worse than the actual completion of the form.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
I couldn't get on my husbands, so I had to open a basic acct and wait like six months to get on his 123 acct. We bank Santander too. It was easy to get my own, I was still on my fiancé visa so I don't even think they should have given it to me.

That's hilarious. We use NatWest and they were happy to add me to my husbands before we got married as long as I had the proper post.  ::)

Which they wouldn't accept the post that the Registrar's Office did... apparently getting married is a bit more lax than opening a bank account. haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
That's hilarious. We use NatWest and they were happy to add me to my husbands before we got married as long as I had the proper post.  ::)

Which they wouldn't accept the post that the Registrar's Office did... apparently getting married is a bit more lax than opening a bank account. haha

I had the opposite, I remember having difficulties getting registered to be married. My saving grace was the water company was willing to put me on the account ASAP so that poor bill was so weathered from using it for every piece of address evidence lol

• Liked: 102
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »

Do bear in mind if you have a non-resident alien spouse that the standard tax planning has always been for the non-resident alien to own 100% of the property and the mortgage to avoid the nuisance of US tax on future sale or repayment of mortgage principal.

• Liked: 78
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Just an update...

We went Monday with all required evidence to get me put on husbands Santander account. They said I can’t be added because of lack of credit. But they were able to give me my own basic account which I can get my pay from work deposited in each month. They said after 3-6 months of using it I could probably be added to my husbands account.

I’m happy to finally have it sorted. But it’s nothing like in America. I could add anyone to my account as long as they have a SS number.
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (priority)
Country applying from: USA
Online application: September 30, 2017
Biometrics: October 4, 2017
Application & Documents Mailed: October 5, 2017
Application & Documents Delivered: October 9, 2017
Email Confirmation of Receipt: October 9, 2017
Decision Made Email: Nov. 14, 2017
Passport Arrived: Nov. 17, 2017 VISA APPROVED!
27 Business Days

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »
But they were able to give me my own basic account which I can get my pay from work deposited in each month.

Yay!  ;D

• Liked: 716
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
Thanks for the update, and congratulations.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links