Author Topic: Home student at the tertiary level of education  (Read 176 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline farmgirl

  • *
  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: Jan 2016
  • Liked: 3
Home student at the tertiary level of education
« on: December 23, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
Seeking some advice here,
So first off -- we're an American family living in the UK.  My husband has dual citizenship (American/Irish).  We've been here now about 4 months.  My daughter and I have recently applied for our RCs; my husband is the QP and has a full-time job.  Our daughter attends the local sixth form college and is in year 1 of 2 of the IB Diploma program.  It is her dream to go to Cambridge and she more or less knows what she is up against regarding admission requirements/IB scores.

When she goes to apply, we will only have lived in the UK for about 14 months; if she got accepted, by Sept. 2019, she would have lived in the UK for just over 2 years and all of that time as a full-time student at the local sixth form.

From what I read, she would be considered an international student (that first year).  She does not want to take a gap year.  She also knows that she may be eligible to receive scholarship money for colleges back in the US for her ACT scores and grades. So, she has a lot to think about.

So, I want to first find out whether I am interpreting the "home student" definition correctly and if so, if any of you know whether any exceptions are ever made.  Otherwise, I'm wondering about available grants/scholarships for international students.  Trying to start to get a handle on this early, so my daughter can make the best decisions for her educational future.

United Kingdom students[edit]
On the first day of the first academic year of the course, to qualify as a home student, all of the following criteria must be fulfilled by the student:

Be free from any immigration restrictions (e.g. British citizenship, exercising EU Freedom of Movement Rights, indefinite leave to enter/remain, right of abode, free from immigration control (as a diplomat or member of air crew))
Be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom
Have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and/or Isle of Man for the whole period of the three years directly preceding the first day of the academic course
The main purpose for the three years' residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of it, unless the student is a European Union citizen (but not a British citizen) and immediately prior to the three-year period was ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area, Switzerland or qualifying overseas territories (see below).

There are no comments yet for this topic. Do you want to be the first?