Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK License (Lost my Oregon DL)  (Read 1284 times)

• Liked: 30
UK License (Lost my Oregon DL)
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
Hey all,

I know that I need to get a UK license within a year of being here to 'transfer' my   US license over. I have been procrastinating and then I lost my purse/wallet at my work Christmas party. So now I don't have my US license anymore. I have a scan of it - would this be sufficient proof? Or do I have to get a full provisional license? (As in not just one as a stepping stone for the test)
Married in NI: 30 Dec 2016
Moved to NI: 30 May 2017
FLR(M): 22 April 2020
EUSS (pre):  21 Oct 2020
EUSS: 6 July 2022
Citizenship: 21 Dec 2022
US I-130: 16 December 2022

• Liked: 163
Re: UK License (Lost my Oregon DL)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
Hi,

You can't "transfer" a US license to a UK license, because the UK doesn't have reciprocal agreements with the licensing agencies in all 50 states. The one year thing is how long you're allowed to drive on a foreign license before you have to get a UK license.

So you have to get a provisional license, and then take the theory test, and then take the driving test.

This link explains it pretty well:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
Hey all,

I know that I need to get a UK license within a year of being here to 'transfer' my   US license over. I have been procrastinating and then I lost my purse/wallet at my work Christmas party. So now I don't have my US license anymore. I have a scan of it - would this be sufficient proof? Or do I have to get a full provisional license? (As in not just one as a stepping stone for the test)

Hey,

I hate to the bearer of bad news, but there is no such thing as a "transfer" of US license. You will have to get a provisional license, take and pass your theory and practical driving exams.

The one year was how long you were allowed to drive as a full driver on your US license. After that you you are officially a learner in the UK and are required to have the provisional license and follow all of the rules of a learner.

This is because the US has 50 different driver's license governing bodies and the UK would be required to have an agreement with all 50. Gotta love it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
Or do I have to get a full provisional license? (As in not just one as a stepping stone for the test)

As said, you have to pass the UK driving tests if you want to continue to drive as you only have 12 months grace on your US license from when you first resided in the UK. That 'up to 12 months', is from when you arrived and does not reset to zero every time you leave the UK and come back again (thats been tested in court).

To take the UK tests you will need to apply for a Provisional Licence. When you get that PL, you can book some driving lessons and the instructor will be able to tell you if he thinks you will pass or whether you will need more lessons to pass. Don't underestimate how hard the UK driving test is.

If you haven't passed the UK tests within that 12 months that you arrived in the UK:-
-You will then be regarded in the same as any other learner driver in the UK and have the same restrictions https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive
-You must stop driving, because to continue on your US licence will be a criminal offence (you go to court) and the points you will also receive will be held on a ghost licence, to be put on your UK licence when you pass that. New drivers only get 6 points before their licence is revoked. Plus your insurance would be invalid (another criminal offence) and your insurers would not pay out on any claim.

Basically, if your want to continue driving on your own, you need to pass the UK driving tests before your 'up to 12 months' has ended.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:05:20 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:26:24 PM »
In the meantime (because getting a UK license is a months-long process), you should contact the Oregon licensing agency and let them know you're abroad and you've lost your license and need a replacement sent to you.  They may charge a fee, but they should replace your lost card.  Arkansas renewed mine by post, so I can't imagine you'll have trouble getting a lost card replaced.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
Thanks all, I knew you couldn't actually transfer the license which is why I had it in quotes. It was my assumption though that I could get a provisional license and then immediately get a regular license with R plates and such. So I take it the process is the same regardless? I have to get learner plates and such?

As for the replacement Oregon license, they won't issue one without you showing proof of address and since I don't live there anymore I don't have that.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Thanks all, I knew you couldn't actually transfer the license which is why I had it in quotes. It was my assumption though that I could get a provisional license and then immediately get a regular license with R plates and such. So I take it the process is the same regardless? I have to get learner plates and such?

There’s no such thing as R plates... it’s L plates before you pass the test, and optional P plates after you pass to let people know you are a new driver :).

The process is:
- apply for provisional licence
- practice as a learner driver with L plates. You must be accompanied at all time by someone over 21 who has held a full U.K. licence for at least 3 years. You cannot drive on motorways
- pass the theory tests
- pass the practical test
- receive your full U.K. licence... you can now drive on your own without L plates.

I would allow at least a few months to go through the process and pass the tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »

As for the replacement Oregon license, they won't issue one without you showing proof of address and since I don't live there anymore I don't have that.

If you're a US driver in the UK:
- You can drive on your US licence without the provisional restrictions in your first year in the UK (re-entry doesn't reset the clock)
- If you've been in the UK more than a year without getting your UK licence, you must drive as a provisional driver with all the restrictions that go with that

To get your UK licence:
- Apply for UK provisional licence
- Pass theory test
- Take as many lessons as you want/need
- Pass practical test (full or automatic)
- Send off for UK licence

As a US drivers license holder, you must go through all the hoops that new drivers in the UK do. The only benefit you have is that first year when you can drive on your US licence.

x-posted with ksand
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:53:08 AM by TravelingFrog »
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »
There’s no such thing as R plates... it’s L plates before you pass the test, and optional P plates after you pass to let people know you are a new driver :).

I live in Northern Ireland, so I would have to have R plates for a year. The rules are different here and sometimes I forget that!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
I live in Northern Ireland, so I would have to have R plates for a year. The rules are different here and sometimes I forget that!

Ah, I didn’t realise that - I assumed it was the same across the UK (I’d never even heard of R plates until this thread and I’m UK born and raised)... learn something new every day :).

Sponsored Links