Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK tax on terminal vacation pay?  (Read 2311 times)

• Liked: 674
Re: UK tax on terminal vacation pay?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 02:01:51 AM »
Ok.  Just to nuke all previous conversations, as they are hopelessly tangled up in my head now.  Please excuse me having to do this again.... Starting as if I'd never posted anything:

[edit for brevity]

Question - Can I file the 8833 and 1116 to claim back tax from the IRS on the 2017 portion of the 2017/18 UK tax year when I file my IRS tax forms for 2017?

So, unless I've totally lost it, the answer is "no".  So my one remaining task for this year's IRS (2017) is to move from a 1040A to a 1040 and add the 1116 forms.

I have started the numbers for HMRC's self assessment (for when it's time) and would be much more comfortable knowing the statute about vacation pay disbursed after arriving in the UK. I ran the numbers and the taxes cancel each other out, so unless there's a reason I ~have~ to put this income on the self-assessment, I'd as soon not. But I would like to have the argument ready in advance. I have a letter from HMRC that says it's taxable, and a chat transcript (later) that says to not include it. I'd be much more comfortable with some sort of reference that I can point to.

One final question. I know lump sums (complete disbursement of a retirement plan) are taxable only in the US (for my case).  I had a pot of tax-deferred money set back by my now ex-employer. It was not in a retirement plan, as such. I had the choice of having a paper check cut and mailed to the address they had on file (which at that time would have meant it being forwarded to me -with a good chance of it being lost in the mail) or rolling it into another tax-deferred (403b) account. I took the latter option, and then had the amount disbursed to me directly into my bank account. I am assuming that since I had it rolled over, even if I immediately had it disbursed to me from the 403b the amount is no longer considered a "lump sum" disbursement by HMRC for tax purposes.  Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:17:09 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab