Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renewing American Passport.  (Read 6483 times)

• Liked: 27
Re: Renewing American Passport.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
I read this thread a bit alarmed as my passport expired and I stupidly waited, not thinking anything about it.  If anyone has any joy about an interenational money order (like you found out where to do it and it worked! Please let me know!)

I emailed Edinburgh and this is what they replied:

Thank you for email.  If you are unable to obtain an International Money Order for your passport renewal fee, you will have to apply in person and pay by debit/credit card.  You can do so during our counter service hours, 9am-11:30am and 1:30pm-2:30pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  No appointment is necessary for this service.

I don't have the time/inclination/money to do an in-person appt. but I'm from Liverpool and specifically asked if it's okay to go to Scotland to do so and it looks like I can.....so a slight silver lining to an annoying problem (WHY DIDN'T I RENEW THIS AGES AGO???!!) 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Hopefully this is just a temporary change and it'll be switched back once they realise it's ridiculous, but it's certainly got me thinking.

We currently live in London. My US passport doesn't expire for another three years (I think) but we probably won't live in London then. I'm tempted to renew in person in the next few months (while we still live in London) just to have it out of the way and be good for another ten years.....  :-\\\\ Plus, I'd get to see the shiny new embassy!  ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
I can’t help thinking it’s some kind of conspiracy... otherwise, why? !  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
I feel like it's related to the move.  I bet they accepts cards shortly after the move.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's about the move!

I still have a USA bank, it's just the faff of sorting that all out (I've been here for 15 years and have about $200 in it...)

Just looked and I can get to Edinburgh for £35 return AND I don't have to use DHL or whatever courier company they are fleecing us with, so might have a train journey on the cards, soon.  London in the wee hours of rush hour is crazy expensive for anyone up north, so although it's annoying, isn't horrible (just annoyed as I was JUST in Scotland.)

Apologies for my ranting....I'm so annoyed I left this! Bring on the new fortress of an embassy that hopefully takes credit cards.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
I feel like it's related to the move.  I bet they accepts cards shortly after the move.

I hope that’s the case but if it is, you’d think the least they could do is explain that on the website!

• Liked: 21
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
I'm afraid you're dreaming if you think it's temporary! This is clearly global: I just checked the website for the us consulate in Hong Kong, where I used to live, and for mailed in applications it says:

"Cashier’s check made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”. Personal checks are not acceptable;
Bank draft made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”;
Money order (U.S. Postal, commercial; international, currency exchange) made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”;
Bank drafts, money orders, and cashier’s checks must be drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank in the United States and must have been issued within the last five months. You are able to purchase this kind of draft, check, or money order at most large local banks. Please take these instructions and the following sample check to the bank for reference. (PDF 201 KB)"

Looks like this must be a Washington decision. Perhaps there were too many fraudulent charges; at least for in person appointments they can check the pin and ensure the card matches the name etc.

What a pain!

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
We can add this to the good reasons for keeping a US bank account when moving!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »
In a way it makes more sense than writing every bit of your credit card number INCLUDING the security number on the back on a paper format and giving it away.  I wouldn't be surprised if the credit card companies refused them a card reader based on that. 

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »
I'm afraid you're dreaming if you think it's temporary!

Also, if it was temporary due to the move of the London Embassy, why has it been implemented in Edinburgh and Belfast as well?

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »
I totally get that it's likely safer than writing down my credit card number, etc. but it's just baffling to me.  We're doing this because WE DO NOT LIVE IN THE USA.

I've looked at like Western Union, etc., and it all seems to be like actual transfers, not money orders.  I feel like I'm in some time warp and they are going to ask for traveller's cheques or something.  Thousands of people have been doing this for years and years and now???!!

I digress.  I'm going up to Edinburgh.  Get some reading done and hopefully good for ten years!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
I've still got another 3+ years before I need to worry about it but......what are the sites that you can go in person? When I was still working, our official work passports went to Liverpool. If my choice was London or Edinburgh......I'd probably head to Edinburgh if I have the choice.
Fred

• Liked: 85
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
Just heard on BBC that the credit card fee that government agencies are allowed to charge is coming to an end on 13th January. Maybe the US Embassy is doing the same..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/withdrawal-of-personal-credit-card-payments-cip29
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Thank you for that link! I was aware of the changes with charges for credit cards going away, it hadn't occurred to me that some agencies would no longer accept credit, although I understand why they would do that!

Many thanks for the link-my husband is employed but did some freelance work he needs to pay taxes on so this actually is the impetus to get it all done!

Just booking a little 'holiday' up to Edinburgh during the February half term-I'll let people know how the counter service goes if anyone is interested! Fingers crossed there isn't an emergency I need to get to the USA for!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
Oh man!  Craziness.

Ksand, I still thought the move could be involved, thinking that all credit card transactions for the UK were processed in the London office.

Honestly, I don't see this lasting...  how can it?  It's not sustainable.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab