Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Random pet moving items from one who just moved a dog and cat  (Read 2286 times)

• Liked: 33
Random pet moving items from one who just moved a dog and cat
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »
Hi all,

I just moved my dog and cat on December 15th.  Here are a few things that I learned that might be useful for those with an upcoming move.

First, I did use a pet transport company.  They were invaluable and saved me loads of time by providing the exact paperwork and dealing with the airlines.  If you need a recommendation, I used Animal Land Pet Movers out of Atlanta, GA. They were responsive, kind, and they love animals.  FWIW, my boys went on British Airways from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow.

One thing that I wish I had done was to contact a U.K. vet for basic U.K. vaccine requirements before they left (in addition to the rabies and tapeworm required for UK entry).  I would have had my US vets give these vaccines to the babies before they left the US.  For example, in London, my dog needed the leptospirosis vaccine, which was not necessary in the US state of VA.  However, the US vet could have given it in advance.  Additionally, in U.K., my cat got the feline leukemia vaccine, which my US vet did not feel was necessary (indoor only cat).  She would have given it before he left US if I’d thought to find out the U.K. requirement.

Once in London, I had to get them to the U.K. vet immediately when I got there for more shots. And the U.K. vet is way more expensive (London prices, dontcha know!).  If you think you will be harried when you get to UK with your new house, children, etc. it will help to know that your pets are already up to date with U.K. vaccinations.    I would have taken them to their new vet eventually, but had to do it immediately on arrival because I didn’t want my dog to lick a puddle or something and get sick.

In London (don’t know about the rest of the U.K.) there is something called lung worm. It comes from snails and slugs.  My dog got a new preventative for this but we can’t give it to him for another month because I just gave him his US Heartguard right before he left.  The lungworm medicine (Advocate) also has a heart worm preventative.

I also wish I had gotten the US vet records before I left.  The UK vet wanted them.

Regarding the ToR, I did not complete it before my pets traveled and will reclaim it later. (I am moving house stuff in March).  The VAT on my cat and dog was £39 cash on delivery.  This was the total (not apiece).  The VAT is based on the value of your pet.  My two are mixed breed rescues, so I estimated their value at the shelter adoption fees. However, I was told that the pet VAT can get into the thousands of pounds if one has a purebred or other expensive pet.  I was also told I could do the ToR for just the pets and then add my furniture later. So that is something to consider, especially if you might have a high value VAT on your pet(s).

Regarding travel crates, I used two Skykennels from Amazon.  The animal reception center at Heathrow has a helpful video that shows proper crate requirements.  The airlines all have their own requirements but most are the same. United’s website is also.

Hope this is helpful! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 52
Re: Random pet moving items from one who just moved a dog and cat
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »
Sundance,

Still waiting to hear about my spousal visa and we are stressing getting our fur baby in the country as much as we are ME!!

Your post has some great tips. Thanks so much.

Hope you can start settling in and good luck.

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »

Regarding the ToR, I did not complete it before my pets traveled and will reclaim it later. (I am moving house stuff in March).  The VAT on my cat and dog was £39 cash on delivery.  This was the total (not apiece).  The VAT is based on the value of your pet.  My two are mixed breed rescues, so I estimated their value at the shelter adoption fees. However, I was told that the pet VAT can get into the thousands of pounds if one has a purebred or other expensive pet.  I was also told I could do the ToR for just the pets and then add my furniture later. So that is something to consider, especially if you might have a high value VAT on your pet(s)

The fact that they have started with ToR for pets is absolutely mind boggling to me. I understand if a dog is being transported to be purchased by someone, but when it is your own dog or cat that has been your pet for years?
Type of Application: Settlement Spouse Visa (non priority)
Met Husband: 10 September 2015
Got married: 13 October 2017
Online application: 26 Nov 2017
Decision email received: 8 March 2018 (68 BD)
Passport received: 12 March 2018 - APPROVED!
Arrived in the UK: 31 March 2018
FLR(M) Extension Submitted: 15 September 2020
Submitted Documents and Biometrics via IDV: 8 October 2020
FLR(M) Approval: 30 December 2020
SET(M) Submitted: 15 July 2023
Submitted Docs & Biometrics: 10 August 2023
SET (M) Approved: 13 October 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
The fact that they have started with ToR for pets is absolutely mind boggling to me. I understand if a dog is being transported to be purchased by someone, but when it is your own dog or cat that has been your pet for years?

But they wouldn’t know which it was unless they asked the question on a form.  :)

Although the TOR is relatively new, declaring your animal to customs is not. It used to be the C 5 customs form that was used.

Sponsored Links